LIE 495 - Road To Hell | FerrariChat

LIE 495 - Road To Hell

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    So for those of you unfamiliar with the LIE 495 it connects NYC to the Hamptons on Long Island New York, two of the wealthiest areas anywhere on the planet and the road has to be one of the worst. When I say it’s littered with potholes that will take out a Range Rover I’m not exaggerating. It is now virtually impossible to drive a modern day Ferrari back and forth from NYC to the Hamptons without a major incident. It absolutely takes the joy out of having one of the machines if you live in the tristate area. Maybe a 550 of 355 with more side wall would be possible, but trying to find a good 550 or F355 Berlinetta is like looking for a unicorn.

What do you other Ferrari driving New Yorkers do, just keep buying new wheels and tires? Plus hope the damage doesn’t leave you stranded on the LIE.

Bundy, bball16 and LeoBRK like this.
  2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    After retiring to coastal South Carolina and blowing out a tire and damaging a wheel on a pothole following traffic, I was convinced they had the worst roads in the nation..... then I moved to Tucson. It's one thing living up in snow country where you have to contend with freeze & thaw cycles and road salt, but I didn't expect the roads down south to generally be so crappy. I agree that the sad state of so many of our roads & highways takes a good bit of the fun out of driving these cars.

Bundy and Bobby_P like this.
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Come to Europe where we pay more than 50% income tax and 20% sales tax. But our roads are pool table smooth.

hagen111, VAF84, Shack and 4 others like this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, I moved out of Tucson recently. Hands down the worst I've ever been for the valley floor at least. Catalina Highway is good for some fun mountain driving. After doing that drive in a sports car I don't really want a sports car anymore unless I have mountain roads.

Bundy and BruceC like this.
  5. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Grand central parkway in LGA area is even worse now. Off-road course.

Alcav5 likes this.
  6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I will see your GCP and raise you the Cross Bronx Expressway.

On a Ducati.

Bundy, bball16, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  7. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    For the north east NY beats all the others. Just cross the border into Connecticut and the roads improve dramatically although still not perfect.
    Wheel and tire insurance is a must in NY

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Alcav5 likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i drove my FF from Westchester to the Hamptons today. total **** show and disgrace. Left the FF there and took back full size Range Rover HSE. going west is even worse than going east. cant believe how bad the LIE is. the bronx river is a disgrace as well.

Bundy and bball16 like this.
  9. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Belt parkway in the list for sure! Definitely no fun driving on any of these roads which I do on a weekly basis. Basically I train my brain to know precisely where the pot holes are :) and avoid most of them

Andynyc likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well yeah, except for Italy lol. Terrible roads in many places. But definitely not US bad.

350MH83 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ive never seen bad roads going from rome to abruzzo. Thats all ive ever driven there.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    They move to Texas or Florida.

otakki, BruceC and wrs like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    And yes anything after 2010 is virtually undriveable. 355, 550, 456, 430 and really nothijng after. My 612 and ff eat wheels.

14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    In NY they keep filling potholes until there are more holes than road then maybe they will selectively replace a small section
    The union costs are so high now they can’t afford to do the whole road

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Bronx River makes up for it by having super narrow lanes, too. I learned to drive on it. I fear no other parkways :)

Boston's not too awful. But I've lived in Florida (Miami, Naples, Sarasota, Tampa Bay) and Texas (Austin) and those roads are dulllllllll.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The repaired pieces become speed bumps. Not sure if they are better than the actual holes.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. peterye93

peterye93 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Was thinking the same exact thing. Drove east on 495 on Thursday evening to the Hamptons and alot of major potholes around exit 50 in the hov lane that you pretty much can’t miss if you are following the center of the lane.

There was a Bentley gt coupe pulled over with flat tire right after I was thinking that that night.

Happy to have an suv w thick sidewalls right now.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep i saw cars with blow outs going and coming back - nasty shredded ones.

19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LIE is an absolute disgrace from one end to the other. Potholes and speed bumps everywhere and the cracks and holes between the lanes are absolutely horrific. You have to look ahead and find a section that has the least cracks and ruts so you can make a lane change. The worst spot of all is the underpass at exit 48 going to FOLI. It’s been a bombed out piece of crap forever. Absolutely disgusting.

Bundy, Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  20. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Lived in the Netherlands for 4 years - much better roads and driving etiquette. Always got a kick out of seeing the Dutch police in their 911s with their helmeted heads just slightly sticking out of the sunroof.

ANOpax and ttforcefed like this.
  21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I found a road as bad as the LIE. Try Jericho Turnpike just east of 110 for about 3 miles. It’s even worse then the Expressway.

22. dustywusty

dustywusty Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2017
    Florida
    All of the roads in the area are awful lately. Down two front wheels thanks to potholes in the city, both low speed but just HUGE holes. Hilarious that they didn't use all of the time that nobody was driving to at least partially improve some roads.

Napoli likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hm, reading all of this. Not really sure Ferrari and their wheels are the ones to blame...

Sounds like a lack of funding for roads kind of problem to me.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its not a lack of funding, its a use of funds issue.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

25. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Funds are being used to service pensions and benefits that were over promised and underfunded to begin with. It will be even worse for future generations

Napoli likes this.