Newport Crystal Cove Saturday C&C shut down | FerrariChat

Newport Crystal Cove Saturday C&C shut down

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by dinoart, Mar 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Drove my 308 QV this morning around 830 and was turned away. Unless buying SB coffee you can not park your car. I saw a few exotics came and drove off. Anyone know what's going on? Had this been awhile?

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Believe they are trying to shut it down....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The IRVINE CO. controls the property, the guy who made the decision was a regular at C&C, works for Irvine Co., officer in the PORCHE CLUB, and from what I’ve heard, he’s a real tight a$$ w/ big ego.

As an alternative there is PV, first Saturday of the month, Silver Spur Shopping cntr, Golden Cove PV, 3rd Sunday, Hawthorne & PV Dr. South, Pacific City, Sunday mornings and San Clemente at the outlet parking lot every Sat.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As usual, jackasses that couldn't control their behavior caused yet another C&C shutdown. It had nothing to do with the police,who were regular attendees, or big ego land owners .

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  7. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Happens every couple of years....looking forward to the next iteration.

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Actually Steve, I was a regular since I live up the hill. There really was no “jackass” problem like the last time it was shut down (I go back to the days of Barry and Meguiars sponsorship when it was very different). Recently as a result of the Pandemic more people had being showing up for something to do, but everyone was very well behaved. So I am at a loss why they did this other than the sheer temporary volume increase. Frankly it is very disappointing and I wish the Irvine Company would have taken everyone into account when they did this. There are many of us who are local residents and enjoy it very much (I have 2 other guys on my block who are car guys who attended as well). It was an opportunity for all of of the locals to get together. I suspect if a local poll was taken there would be more in support of it than not. Certainly there were no noise issues and it was early in the morning so it didn’t interfere with anything. It was a nice event that got all of us locals out early to take part.

Usually during the event I would get a Starbucks and afterwards with my wife we would cruise the local shops. It also frankly made us more interested in the local shops than we otherwise would be. I suspect overall it will be a net loss for the shops in the center because it is a pretty poor shopping center with no real anchor tenant (Trader Joes is a joke as an anchor) and not much reason to go there for many of us but for the C&C. Maybe the shop owners will put pressure on the Irvine company and they may have a change of heart. One can only hope (if they are reading this here is one local resident who is pissed and who doesn't intend to patronize their local shops as a result)!

Short of all of this, where is the next best place, San Clemente?

54greg, dinoart and ewright like this.
  9. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    That first iteration back in the early 2000's was truly legendary; heaven for a car guy. It's a shame that this event tends to fade away every couple of years.

RonH likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I personally couldn’t care less if all these types events were banned everywhere, I do have a novel idea to offer for those who find them interesting(?) enough to attend or need them to validate their car ownership.

I assume some attendees might own large enough business/commercial properties which could accommodate crowds often present, so why not invite everyone to gather at it, instead of trespassing (private) properties of others were they may not really be or feel welcomed ?

Or invite everyone to gather at someone’s home/house, street or neighborhood, maybe even alternate between different attendees hosting at their homes/streets/‘hoods and see how that goes.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  11. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the support Ron. San Clemente is not my cup of tea. It's a zoo and like a parade. Once you entered you can not leave.

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    That’s too bad. I have not been down to San Clemente. I guess I wont now. What I liked about Crystal Cove, it was really low key and just pure car guys. Until recently you probably would have no more than 30 to 40 cars and some pretty unique ones mixed in. It was really nice chatting to everyone and looking at their cars.

Let us know David if there is another one that you would recommend.

13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Does anyone know if the meetups at Enderle center in Tustin are still happening?

14. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Dom,

Yes they are. Getting more crowded since Crystal Cove shut down. I hope the new attendees mind their manners and don't get this one in trouble. A few F cars show up once in awhile. Wish more would.

Dom likes this.
  15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have spoken with the folks tasked with enforcing the stop, and, I too am local and attended regularly. While the vast majority were well behaved, there was an ever growing group of , yes, jackasses. Arriving later and later, zinging the throttle and accommodating the clowns on PCH with cameras(and egging them on to step on it). I knew it was just a matter of time when those two exotics were caught in a speed contest shortly before the end and had their cars towed on PCH. The behavior and ever increasing amount of cars and later and later arrivals killed this event. San Clemente is fine and well run, I just don't care for the later start. The enderle center in Tustin is also good(although mostly Porsches)The once a month Sunday event at The Tustin Mess Hall(called Legacy Cars and Coffee) is excellent and I'm hearing that it may soon become a bi-monthly Saturday event. And, there's the "top Secret" invite only event that rotates weekly. ;)

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I have a friend in the Newport area with a 10-year old son who is a car nut, not the friend. They were asking me where they could take him to see stuff. I immediately thought about Cars and Coffee, the original, that I know was long closed.

Where should I send them now?

Thanks,

Sixcarbs

17. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    San Clemente cars and coffee 9-11 am saturdays

18. Behemoth66

Behemoth66 Rookie

Oct 30, 2021
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Lamborghini dealership in Newport Beach .. every first of the month .. Kobe used to bring his cars as well as other famous people .. I’ve been out of the loop for the past 6 months since I’ve been in Europe but haven’t heard anyone say it was stopped