Mondial T tire options (current ‘19-‘20) | FerrariChat

Mondial T tire options (current ‘19-‘20)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Louis Brown, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Gents,
    I take possession of my ‘89 next week and have been looking at tire options. Obviously several threads exist on this topic but none current discussing available brands. I keep revisiting the BFG G-Force Comp 2 tires as they are available in factory spec and larger from my local Discount Tire. Any other recs out there from recent buyers? I like the idea of making a slight size jump. Maybe 225/245s. Thanks

2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I have the BFG's on my 87 and love them. Price is on positive side of reasonable as well

Louis Brown likes this.
  3. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Decided to go with the BFG G Force Comp 2s from Discount Tire. Front: 225/55 Rear: 245/50
    This profile maintains almost the exact factory spec radia with just more tire width. I’ll post a few pics when installed.

WilyB, Wade, JLF and 1 other person like this.
  4. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Have you seen this film on Mondial tyres?

Sorry but I would suggest you are making a mistake over tyreing your car like that.

point of fact:
    • early Mondial ferrari fitted 240mm section tyres front and rear.
    • then Ferrari strove to improve the handling of the Mondial by going down to 220mm on the front.
    • Then later Ferrari went even smaller and down to 205mm on the front.
    i don't think Ferrari went down in tyre width to save a few quid.

Check out the film, and look at the coments.

I think the Pirelli P7 is the way to go. It was a Ferrari recomendation at the time and they are period tyres so they are built for Period Super cars where a G-string Forcekin COMP 2 is built for a totally diffferent car. I'm not saying they are bad tyres, quite the opposite. what i am saying is t hat they are built to operate in a different enviroment

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/mondial.html

5. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Hey thanks! I’ll watch it. BFGs are waiting at shop but could be placed back into stock if need be.

6. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Pirelli P7 pricing is reasonable. I like the concept of the 205/55 in front for the improved handling aspect. I just wanted a wider tread width at rear mainly. Interestingly, Pirelli seems to only offer the factory spec sizes in 16” diameter for this car.

7. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    When you mentioned P7 was built for period supercars, can you expand on the “built for” aspect? I inspected the BFGs and they set the identical dimension in terms of maintaining the same geometry and wheel rotation/km. What is the difference you observe in new and old stock period tires? Any significant drawbacks? Thanks

8. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    The carcass structures of tyres have developed as car design has developed, and they move together to compliment each other. When we get into this period the differences in 1980s tyres and current ones becomes more subtle but the suspension and steering of modern cars is massively different to what it was like back in period.

This film might help a little

there is quite a bit of talk about the P7 on here https://www.lamborghinichat.com/forum/threads/countach-tires-does-anyone-care.508651/page-14

If we compare a new build P7 to the P7 Pirelli were making back in the 1970s and '80s, modern factories benefit from better quality control systems in place which will mean less chance if inconsistency in the build. But these are Pirelli so they would have been pretty good in the day.

Some of the materials and chemicals used in period are now no longer allowed to be used in tyre production. basically as you drive around in your car you are scrubbing your tyres and the fine rubber powder just goes straight into the water system, so today we are more concious about that sort of thing, and we have the ability to to make greener compounds, so why wouldn't you? Unfortunately it is a bit of a token gesture on the green issue, because in all fairness, when your you've is finished with your tyre, there is still a big horrible carcass to get rid of, but it's best not to think about all that too much. It can get depressing.

The other big difference between the current model and the period one, is that we have got cleverer at making compounds that move water out of the way, so the tyres are a bit grippier, but this will be more beneficial in adverse conditions.

the P7 range is on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-p7.html

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Continental Extreme Contact with "Sport Plus" Technology

205/55 ZR 16 Front
    225/55 ZR 16 Rear
    Wear 560 Traction AA Temp A

It's what I have on the '90 Mondial t, installed 2 years ago. Good tires, no complaints.

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Are the P7 tires as now manufactured safe for below zero temperatures eg. while a car is in storage or driven in the shoulder season before winter at near freezing temperatures?

11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    It is not ideal.

They made with modern summer tyre compounds.

It is a shame, but i guess we can't have everything.

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    What about tires and handling with the popular replacement of the Mondial T wheels with the 348 wheels? Is this change detrimental to handling?

13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    No they wont handle as good, because they will be using technology suited to later chassis set ups.

No they won't be anywhere near as comfortable. The original TRX are fitted to a rim that is less than 16" so you get more side wall to absorb the vibration the Michelin TRX tyres are pretty fancy clever technology. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx.html

Have you seen this film?

If you are going 16" then the P7 are again a tyre designed to be fitted onto a chassis like a Mondial.

These differences are suble. If you fit 348 wheels your car won't immediately collaps due to excess vibration if you don't crash into the first ditch. But there will be subtle differences. Its worth considering that Ferrari didn't just guess a tyre size. they fitted what they found to be best after testing, then they would sutley tune the tyre and the chassis to give the best results.

Today many manufacturer produces cars with 16" wheels and tyres. However almost everyone immediately spoils the ride of their new car by fitting stupid tall 18", 19", 20" wheels just becauser they look cool. But when you do that, you are spoiling the ride and handling, even on a modern car (handling is spoiled by wide tyres). But the dealers say nothing because that is where they make their money, upselling to swanky wheels. And it is OK buying wheels because they are cool. Being cool is very important, but lets not be cool under faulse pretences. We fit the taller wheels to be cool, but the truth of the matter is that in every other feature the car is not as nice to drive or ride in. And if we are prepared to make that compromise to be cool, that is of course fine, but lets not kid ourselves that it is anything other than a compromise.

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    WilyB likes this.
  15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Wow that is a great name for a tyre.