Is this a Scam? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is this a Scam?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I've been practicing law for sixty-five years, have seen and had clients and friends experience every manner of scam, fraud, sleight-of-hand, three-card-monte, you can imagine. I once was engaged as a legal ethics expert in a litigation involving a purported transaction for the sale of a 250GTO - the adversary party and his lawyer were unaware that I had some significant expertise in the Ferrari 'trade' and was prepared to testify that the alleged 250GTO involved must have been a ghost car since it could not have had the stated provenance. I was panting for the opportunity to testify. Unfortunately the case settled before trial. Though not before I had earned a $25K fee.

Your guy is not even the buyer, he's a purported agent looking to gain a fee simply for the intro. Advise him that you will only speak to and deal with his buyer who will have to meet you chez vous. Unless he really has a serious buyer - extremely unlikely - you will never hear from your guy again.

paulchua likes this.
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    All of that "having fun" costs money not to mention the lost time. Bah Humf--k!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Fchat never disappoints...haha...

For one, I'm not traveling anywhere if I'm selling a car.... You want to send me to Paris to talk it over,,,, on your dime...and you're putting me up @GeorgeV...Perhaps...Other than that, no deal...

Secondly, just for laughs, say this is totally legit and you are now happy sipping cocktails in 1st Class on the trip to the US...Question, what you going to put on the customs form when they ask about the money you are carrying? That would be an interesting discussion....

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Much ado about nothing! Why would the OP even entertain such an offer, even if it was legit? I'm sure he'd find a buyer in the U.S. without too much trouble!

paulchua, Boomhauer and IloveGT like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The whole premise was so ridiculous and obvious, this thread didn't deserve 3 responses, never mind 30. o_O :rolleyes:

6. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I am sure by now you understand what the other F'Chatters are saying.
    With regard to a couple of points however;
    1) Don't try messing around with the guy, your better off ignoring him, blacklist him on your emails.
    2) Inform the fraud squad , or give them a call and all details. Let them handle it, their experts.
    3) Certainly do not give him any personal information about yourself.

papou likes this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #32 IloveGT, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    waiting for this response the whole time.
    may not be the scam at all. They may just think they are so rich and boss people around at their whim.
    You want the car, you fly in. period.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    exactly my thoughts. The fact that the op had been negotiating back and forth to begin with is another telling story in itself. I would just easily ignore the whole inquiry to begin with.

Boomhauer and 32 Ford like this.
  9. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I'll second that thought. If I read that BS I would have instantly deleted the email and blocked his number and never gave it another thought. A complete waste of time. But it was entertaining reading the responses here.

Nembo1777 and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Smells "Fishy" "Phishy" to my nose.
    I wouldn't do it.

Take care!
    U would be an easy target for whatever this guy is up to IMO.
    LOGICAL REASON behind my opinion;
    1-WHAT KIND OF DETAILS HE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE CAR THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DISCUSS AND FINALIZE BY PHONE OR ONLINE?!
    2-IF IT IS LEGIT, LET HIM PAY YOU A VISIT WITH HIS "MONEY" "DECLARED, FINISH THE DEAL, THEN PAY HIM A GOOD FEE + A 5 STARS HOTEL ACCOMMODATION!

Out of curiosity, what is the car he is willing to go through all this trouble for anyway?

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's a scam.

The Barcelona component is the primer.

Think of scammers like this; they have to sift out all the people with at least half a brain*.
    If they find somebody foolish enough to spend money to fly to Barcelona to talk, they are probably gullible enough to do more silly things.

Think those misspellings on Nigerian scam emails are mistakes? No, they are intentional. They purposely make the emails so bad and easy to flag that anybody who believes them is precisely the type of person they seek. It saves the scammers time.

What this "talk" will entail is you spending a little more money (to try and recoup your Barcelona loss) and spend a little more to recoup what you agreed to pay in the "Barcelona meeting", etc...

Something like this:

"Thank you for coming, we're ready to buy!" We just need a $1,000 euro smog certification provided, it's easy, we can get it done right here in Spain...."

Oh, the smog cert came back saying it's missing the form #232 that just costs $732 more - Look I have the cashier's check here for you for the full amount. Just take care of that paperwork...and the Administration fee...

on..and on.. and on...

Until either, you get sick of hearing entertaining stories or run out of money.

Of course, I'm assuming they didn't say they'll pay for your ticket/expenses from LA to Spain ahead of time?

If so, beats me...and I would be seriously intrigued as you...

*Keep in mind the true tragedy is people that have Alzheimer's/Dementia - this is no fault to them obviously, and I only have 100% sympathies to this cohort that are being taken advantage of from these degenerate scammers.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If they want the car..they fly out, buy it..then organize transport back to thier country all on thier dime. They want it..they gotta pay for it..from start to finish..zero money should be exiting your pocket. Money should only be incoming.

willrace and V4NG0 like this.
  13. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    Google rip deal. They always want to meet at a hotel in some european capital city.

Sent from my meizu X8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
  15. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Money laundering. They don't want to create a paper trail for the cash but they're happy to have you do it.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Actually this is my brain wave. Tell him yes, you'll meet in Barcelona,.... then on the day pull up google earth, tell him when you land, get a cell number and call him using Google maps as the direction. you can use street view to describe where you are. ... then get "lost" in Barcelona - drive him crazy finding you. even if you don't get a deposit.. have him show you the money in cash... dollars. on video, say you are in your hotel room ... even better if you can find a "Live Cam" in Barcelona to have them meet you there. Get a burner phone so he does not have your legit number.

I did this to a guy calling from Nigeria... Lagos so pulled up google earth.. asked him his address - give me a market location... I said I was in Nigeria as well, as I'm an Epidemiologist... ( have a friend who actually is - and goes there often ) told him the hotel I'm staying in... said come by in the morning.... i was using my mom's old phone ( she had dementia and could not use it any longer, I had actually turned it off, but the plan had 3 months left on it ... ) The idiot kept calling... so then i said I'm downstairs ...."what stairs" kept him going for 5 - 10 min... then he said I'm going to kill you... click. I'm a bit twisted with all that....

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D