Replacing leather straps | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Replacing leather straps

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Jan 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The smooth round leather button head you see on the ends of the straps without buckles are the ‘nut’. There is a screw that goes into them on the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just ordered a 100 piece kit from Amazon. $8.00

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Jetprovost

Jetprovost Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stuart Silberg
    Greg Allen Saddlery in woodenville, WA

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LorenzoR and Fixjets777 like this.
  4. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Some years back I had a leather shop in Great Falls, VA make me a set of straps for my 2001 360 coupe. I had the original hardware installed on the new straps. I wish I searched out better/stronger pieces as the buckles were pulling apart. I should have gone with chrome steel hardware instead of weak brass pieces. Ferrari went way cheap on these parts!!!!! Fake 'leather' no less... Italy is Known for Fine Leather but not for these crappy fake straps. How much more would it cost for real leather?????

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Are you going to drill through the tub to install the screws? The OEM pop rivets do not show when the spare tire, manuals, took kit, etc are strapped into place.

6. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Drilling the rivets out will leave a hole.

7. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Yes, but how are you going to get the screw(other half of Chicago screw) behind the tub wall? I must be missing something.

8. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #58 shifter, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    They come out really easily, I already had them out once before. I plan to take out the back and passenger side walls to drill the rivets.

9. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Still confused. You are going to insert one half of the Chicago screw from inside of the car?

10. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #60 shifter, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    The frunk has 3 liners on the sides and a tray on the bottom. Basically thin fiberglass panels with carpet adhered to them. The rivets go through that fiberglass liner. Then yes, the screw head of the Chicago nut goes on the back side of the fiberglass liner. Add a little locktite for insurance.

To remove the liners, put a 4 year old in the frunk with an Allen wrench and tell him/her to remove all screws they can find. Sit back with a favorite beverage and occasionally say “you missed one over there...”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The tub doesn't come out as one piece?

12. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nope. Back, left, right, bottom all separate pieces.

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks for the info. I'm replacing a broken strap soon.

14. Jetprovost

Jetprovost Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stuart Silberg
    That is awesome as my back was killing me after bending over to take all those screws out! - One word of caution though - not all the screws are the same length so it is good to keep an eye on which ones go where.

shifter likes this.
  15. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, yes I realized that after I saw the bolts in my sons tray. Good thing here was that I learned that by design (poke yoke) or luck (likely) the short screws won’t work in the couple places the long screws are needed. So starting with the short screws is recommended if you didn’t track them upon removal.

Doctor Mark likes this.
  16. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just took my three straps to a local shoe repair shop. $10 per strap using leather and my existing buckles.
    He’s also making a new handle for my toolkit. It think it was sliding back and forth in the loose strap and the handle is chafed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I am replacing the straps in my car. Mine came in a bag - not attached to the car. I am wondering if someone could post some pictures of their strap attach points. I seem to have more parts than I need and the hole patterns don't all match up.

seem to be
    4 attach points (2 rivets each) on "firewall" for wheel inflater
    2 attach points (2 rivets each) at the front for the tool kit

Also, mine are rusty. Has anyone found replacements at Ricambi or another source?

18. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You will have to remove the liners from inside the frunk. There are aluminum backing plates on the backside of those liners that you won’t be able to drill out and re-pop rivet if you don’t remove them.
    It’s a time consuming job, but not difficult.

Did someone remove the old straps? There should be existing holes in those liners where the old straps were, and probably a dent/mark on the liner from the old straps.

19. Garage_Guy

Garage_Guy Rookie

Jan 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Rob Draper
    Want to give another shout out to Two Red Birds. If you are looking for replacement straps for the tool kit or inflator. They sell the straps, but you will need to provide the rivets, bolts and the small retaining plates to properly attach them. I just replaced mine which were broken and frayed and they look really good. This was the only option I could find here in the States. I believe there is one other option on eBay and they are in the UK, but they never responded to my message. I am getting nothing for this plug. I just enjoy working on my cars and Randy asked me to give him a mention and I was happy to do it.

https://www.tworedbirds.com/ferrari-accessories

whatheheck likes this.
  20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info.

Dan

21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Garage Guy,
    That's a great write up and I'll be sure to pass it on to Randy "Two Red Birds" who is a personal friend and family member. With that being said, I get nothing from him either other than the satisfaction of being the one who opened the door to him a few years ago with a question about the straps. That question has garnered him world-wide customers over may models and different makes. He is very talented when it comes to leather work and he just does it because he likes to and he likes to make his customers happy.

Need4Spd, whatheheck and AandSC like this.
  22. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The straps direct from Ferrari I think are under $30 depending on the portion that snapped. Broke two already and last one was $27

23. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    IDK, just checked the prices. The tool kit belts are 74.52 (65698700), the belts for the inflator cylinder are 160.16 (65696000), and the buckle portion for the inflator are also 160.16 (65695900) and those are the "fake" leather vs. real leather....

24. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Ah $160 would motivate me to look for a better set. I snapped two of the Ferrari ones but maybe I lucked out they were the cheap ones. (68996400 twice)

25. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Ahh...that's for a 430. Guess the found a cheaper pleather supplier!