Changed my oil drain method! | FerrariChat

Changed my oil drain method!

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Maybe other folks are doing this but it's relatively new for me so I thought I'd bring it up since I'm in the middle of changing cam belts (done) changing hoses (waiting for them to arrive from Ricambi), changing coolant and brake fluid, installing a Sanden-style compressor in place of the York (company sent me the wrong compressor bracket (Grr!), and changing OIL.

For more years than I care to mention, I drained engine oil with the engine at or close to operating temp. I've done it that way because it has always been "the way to do it."

But I now drain it cold.

The reason I switched is based on modern oil. Cold 0W40 oil flows slightly better from the drain than hot 0W40 oil. Hot 0W40 has cSt (viscosity) spec of around 17; cold oW40 is around 14 cSt. So there is no advantage to heating the engine as far as getting the oil out PLUS there are no hot parts/hot oil to deal with.

Also, all the 'excess' oil has drained down into the sump overnight as opposed to still draining down after you have drained/capped the sump.

Finally, heating up the engine re-disperses the contaminates in the oil that, when cold, are in the sump.

Anyway...thats my logic and I'm sticking with it! ;)

Saabguy likes this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    One thing you mentioned about the contaminants yes they are in the bottom of the sump but they won't come out through the drain plug unless they are dispersed

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I usually run the engine a few minutes to mix the oil a bit before draining. Then I leave the drain plug open when changing filter and doing some other tasks. I don't think it is that critical.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Won't disagree that changing the oil full hot is a terrible experience to be avoided (I prefer to do it just warmish and then after rerunning for a minute, or two, to stir it up right before draining and better suspend the junk up into it as Dominick and conan indicated), but did you make a typo or misread a chart? Cold 0W40 (20 deg C) is more like 150-200 cSt per the references that I've seen:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

and any cold oil having a lower viscosity than the same oil hot seems downright magical?

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I flush with clean oil with the drain plug out to pick up some of the deposits in the sump until the oil flows “clean”.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Mike, I'd have to agree with Steve and suggest that you've perhaps misread a data sheet - there's no way cold 0W-40 is thinner than hot 0W-40.

I do agree with draining cold, though, because there's a greater volume of oil sitting in the sump after a few hours of sitting than just after running. We want as much of the old oil as possible to come out, not to have a small quantity dispersed through the engine.

The wet sump bottom of the 308's V8 isn't flat, and the drain plug isn't the lowest point - it's the lowest point of it's segment directly under the oil pump pickup, but the segmented/compartmentalized bottom has low spots that don't connect to the compartment around the drain plug for the bottom few mm of depth - so any theories of running it hot to suspend the sludge to drain don't pan out in practice. I installed the additional anti-surge sump baffle (which prevents oil pressure drop and oil starvation in hard right cornering) last fall in my QV, here's the oil pan straight after removing:

You can see the drain plug in the larger square bottom part, just left of the middle. I've owned this car for 7 years, and it's run synthetic for that entire period, but there's still a good amount of sludge settled on the bottom that simply never gets circulated back into suspension or drained by hot oil to the drain bolt.

A closer look:

If you want all the thick deposits out of the bottom of the oil pan, this is the only way to achieve that!

(Here's two photos showing the anti-surge baffle and the sump with it installed):

Saabguy and Du_Man like this.
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Cartman method....
    Suck it out with a hose:eek:

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmmm...I used a cSt table I looked up and just entered the values they showed so it looks as though I used a bad reference or (more likely) read it incorrectly. Thanks for a correct posting!!

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't see why this is an issue -- unless you want to immediately put the drain plug back in. Running it and then letting it drip overnight from both the drain plug hole(s) and the oil filter mount gets out even more oil volume than draining it cold and immediately putting the drain plug back in.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Very true, with that "unless you want to immediately put the drain plug back in" qualifier. :D I rarely leave the plug out to drain overnight on any of my cars, the most drain time they might get is 60 minutes max, more like 30 min. Honestly, though, I don't think draining hot or cold makes much difference - unless you're going to suck it out as Scott suggested, then the thinner viscosity hot oil makes a big difference in speed of extraction!