“These things are so much like corvettes these days” | FerrariChat

“These things are so much like corvettes these days”

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Apr 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I’m putting my 360 in temp controlled car showroom for couple months. The representative was touting all the wonderful features of the facility. He was raving about my 360 Spider and uttered “these things are so much like corvettes these days”. I know he was well-meaning but I wanted to throw up.

IMO, Corvette has been copying Ferrari since the late 1960s. They’re been trying to make the car look like a mid engine (why, I have no idea) for the last decade. Fake intakes (oh those cool the brakes...uh huh), etc. GM finally took the plunge and went mid engine, but it looks more like a bat-no-vette now.

I’m sure the C8 is a fine automobile. Sorry for the rant.

kes7u and KC360 FL like this.
  2. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    A "Ferrari " for the masses, finally. These things will depreciate like a rock as there are so many of them IMHO, but they have done a great job on the car this year especially. Its got everything that I wish the 430 had but it is sixteen years newer. I think The 'Vette has finally caught up to the Ferrari in some departments and features, as you say they have been copying Ferrari for a long time. I wish the Fcar had the reliability and the service opportunities that the 'Vette has.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve pondered on the new c8 for months...

I’m an engineer so I live by data... and on paper the c8 beats the 360 in terms of
    Price
    Performance
    Reliability
    Ease of sourcing parts low cost repair

Yet I don’t want one.... over my gated 360.

I guess I’m irrational and I’m ok w that.

I am excited to see where gm takes that c8 platform in terms of performance... they are just scratching the surface.... gm has deep pockets for r-d.

I would love to see c8-r variants running all the big endurance races....

anunakki and KC360 FL like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Unfortunately it seems in this country we have reached a point at which many are simply proud of their ignorance.
    Yes the new C8 is quite the car. But it's still a Corvette. And it is still hard to accept anything in the realm of a supercar from Chevy (let's not go down that road again; Ford, er, I mean Chevy C8 versus Ferrari :rolleyes:)

Kind of funny that the irony of his statement is the fact that it is directed at a car designed by Ferrari over 20 years ago.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    C8s are neat.

They're also just a corvette. They'll be 40k or so in a few years. 30k a few after that.

pearsonhaus and one4torque like this.
  6. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    The man is ignorant. I would have said "Corvette came out with its 1st mid-engine car in the last year. Ferrari has had mid-engine cars for over 40 years. Put another way, you wouldn't want to tell a guy with a HEMI motor that it is alot like the Ford V8". :)

pearsonhaus likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The new Hemis are not as advanced as a Ford V8 and are certainly hemis in name only since they use a wedge combustion chamber. Ferrari has actually been doing mid-engine street cars (Dino 206) since 1968, so for over 50 years.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  8. wwtxferrari

wwtxferrari Rookie

Sep 22, 2015
    I am also an Engineer (recently retired) and have owned Ferraris and Corvettes concurrently for well over 25 years. When you make a judgement with emotion, the Ferrari is the easy winner, but if you make an evaluation based upon “logic” you can’t deny the virtue of a Corvette. It’s performance etc., while maybe always a little behind (and possibly copying Ferrrari), it’s robustness, value, and lack of ridiculous maintenance costs, make it a “winner” when being being compared. Obviously the downside is the shear number of them, but I think that is what enables it to provide its “bang for the buck”..... For a visceral experience the Ferrari is the car, for a daily driver it’s Corvette.

9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There's no mistaking that the Vette is by far and away the "working class hero" and probably will be for a very long time to come.

But for the rep noted in the OP to make the comparison is, to be magnanimous, misguided at best. ;)

pearsonhaus, clean512 and one4torque like this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    On the new C8...
    reminds me of a little venture Porsche had into Indycar Racing. Turned out the new platform showed Porsche-- with all their resources-- that they had a lot to learn--- so much so that they didn't go back to it.

IMO, what makes Ferrari a Ferrari, is the racing heritage and what they learn from it.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't see anybody putting their C8 in climate control storage. Hmm.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I know of several folks who store their C8s in climate controlled garages.

As far as design goes, rear mid-engine cars pretty much all look the same. Sure, there's detail differences but the overall design is the same.

13. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    20 years from now, the C8 will be just another used car.
    20 years from now, the 360 will STILL be a classic.
    Pictured is the last Corvette I will ever own.

Attached Files:

14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    never say never....there's always the split-window. ;)

pearsonhaus and NMNMNMN like this.
  15. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    They built 3581 production convertible Corvettes in 2020. Many will be wrecked early ,it is a Corvette tradition according to my nephew in marketing at GM. When there are 2000 of them that wont be very different to the 430.

VAF84 likes this.
  16. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    C8 suck ... don't look tuff at all would take a c7 any day...

armedferret likes this.
  17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Right on every count. If I did not have a 575M, a 412, a Cadillac STS-V and a CTS and if I had not just celebrated my 90th birthday I'd be having a new C-8

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    not tuff?

dumb

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    very VERY lovely car

20. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    What are you referring to

21. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I do dig the HELL outta the C7 (especially since they actually have a proper 3-pedal) and would totally rock one. I also wouldn't consider it even remotely on par with the cavallino. Phenomenal performance. Astonishing performance. Hell the heaviest of the bunch, a 3LT Stingray (because press cars are always the most lavishly equipped) was .1 second off a Scud around the TG test track. CRAZY lap time in and of itself, and when you consider the price point, it's a ridiculously good value on performance/dollar.

Not exotic. Not even a little lol.

ETA: C7 Z06 lapped the N'ring in 7:13.90......C8 7:29.90.

Granted the C7Z has a good bit of power but still. if it's performance you're looking for, the C7Z (outside the first year and a half of production given all the heat soak issues) is about the best bang for the buck out there. 7:13.90 around the Nurburgring for....70k middle-of-the-road? Impressive.

Not even close to f-car tho. :p

clean512 likes this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You all keep talking about ridiculous value for the money ... but since when did you all buy Ferrari(s) for its good value?

pearsonhaus and Boomhauer like this.
  23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Hmm. Well I have bought, enjoyed, and later sold three Ferraris for more than I paid. That’s a good value in my book.

The price of admission doesn’t necessarily reflect the real value of a purchase.

pearsonhaus, Zanny1 and NMNMNMN like this.
  24. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You mean like the large one on front of the 355? ;)

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that one cools your feet. :D