F12 purchase | FerrariChat

F12 purchase

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by twoclk, Apr 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twoclk

twoclk Rookie

Apr 24, 2010
    Rockland
    Thinking about buying one, do you all think they are close to the bottom price these days? Do mind if they drop some more but I can't see them getting to #150K. What are the key options the car should have? Obviously, newer is better but did they make some significant change during the production run? If I get one I would be keeping it for a long time. I currently have a 1988 328 GTS and a 2009 16M, would love to add a V12 to the collection. Thanks for all your responses in advance.

Mickyd329 likes this.
  2. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Bottom of the curve was last year. They are up like everything else since COVID. No real major changes. Find a good example and drive it in good health! The 2013s had a few paint issues around the vents and that is pretty much it.

twoclk likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not accurate regarding vents. All years and all colors as documented here.

RamsHmb likes this.
  4. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I agree the bottom was about one year ago, prices have crept up in the last six months.

Also agree buy it, drive the hell out of it. I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

twoclk likes this.
  5. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    Agree on the pricing. I got my 2016 last year certified included, 6k miles and list price was lower than 2014s with 10k miles now (similar spec)

On the options to get, there isn’t that much inventory out there (53 on cars.com in US with about 6 TDFs included). my suggestion is prioritize across color, options, miles/year and then snag one...might need to be comfortable shipping to you. I would def look only at dealer cars and try for certified included.

My personal fav options: LED driver zone, Daytona seats, full electric, diamond rims, shields. Mine also had HiFi l, homelink and some others. More importantly: I had my dealer do a bypass exhaust valve for $2500 with a rocker switch under steering to open the valves whenever I want. Best investment ever. Sounds amazing and saves from doing aftermarket exhaust IMO. Otherwise the exhaust opens about 3500 RPM and you only get to hear it a short while b/c you are at 100 mph before you know it :)

Another suggestion: I had my car audio guy do full sound damping under carpet and trunk. Cut down about 2-4 db of tire noise / drone, which is more sound than you’d think. That was about $4k.

Happy hunting. I love mine - best purchase ever.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScottS and twoclk like this.
  6. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    I dont think current prices are an indicator of much. Seasonality combined with a bunch of covid related pent up discretionary cash is leading to a bubble in the high end car market. It will reset and then continue on its previous downward trajectory.

rossodino likes this.
  7. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Will it though? As the migration towards EVs ensues in full force, I believe the market for Ferrari's will only INCREASE slowly over time as people yearn for the nostalgia of a gated 6 speed or a NA V12. I believe we are in the midst of a seismic shift in the auto market. The rarity and beauty of F cars will only increase over time as people want that "analog" feel of an old school F car. After 6 years of EV driving myself, it has only heightened my desire to have something with a soul as my other driver. Just a thought.

500drvr and twoclk like this.
  8. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Yes I think it will. These things are supply and demand just like anything else. I don't think the supply of people that want and can afford a V12 Ferrari is going to go up. I don't think for those that fit that category will have similar circumstances again.

twoclk likes this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    But the supply of money has gone up dramatically...25%+ for M2 the last year. Currency devaluation/increase in money supply (which will not stop) will drive the prices up imo. I don't see car asset prices dropping (imo).

KY _Soldier likes this.
  10. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Well then the cars aren't going up in "value" they are just going up in "price."

But that's a discussion about inflation more than it's a discussion about Ferrari pricing. If inflation is going to be that dramatic (or has been), then it would make sense to discuss year-to-year changes in transaction prices in terms of inflation adjusted dollars.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This is more semantics. I said monetary inflation was 25%+ last year if we want to be specific. Monetary inflation can cause different types of inflation including asset price inflation, wage inflation, consumer price index/personal consumption expenditure (aka what people use general term "inflation"), producer price index/inflation, etc. That all depends if those printed dollars chase those particular areas...they don't always do as in the case of wage inflation...and they chase assets after they cycle through the economy if not buy it immediately. Comparing asset price index/inflation to inflation adjusted dollar (CPI/PCE aka how the price of a t-shirt has changed) doesn't make much sense.

12. twoclk

twoclk Rookie

Apr 24, 2010
    Rockland
    Thanks everyone, good stuff!

13. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Are you suggesting that the increase in money supply will only lead to an inflation of Ferrari prices?

If the money supply is increasing and that is resulting in an increase to Ferrari prices (amongst other things) then that component of the price increase doesn't reflect a bottoming of the value but rather the peak of the currency value.

14. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Here is the thing - demand IS increased. Supply of F12s has not changed as they stopped making them almost five years ago. Just like other F cars, there are less for sale because there are a lot of people making money and choosing to buy one. I do think there are people like me seriously looking at older F cars and deciding to put my money there as a diversification play vs the stock market, real estate, etc. To me F cars are art that can be driven. Suddenly I want a Barchetta as an investment. Future F cars will be hybrid/electric etc and there are only so many older F cars out there. I do agree some of this is inflation BUT long term F cars are still a bucket list item that I see a lot of people wanting to check as they can afford to. We shall see...

twoclk and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  15. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    twoclk likes this.
  16. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Market is distorted. All these car depreciate. That said, interesting discussion in video above.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app