Miami Grand Prix Update: More "Local Opposition" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Miami Grand Prix Update: More "Local Opposition"

Discussion in 'F1' started by BartonWorkman, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have the impression that Liberty is only interested in a circuit in town for the 2nd US GP.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is "in town". It's in the heart of beautiful Speedway, Indiana.:):p:D

greg328 likes this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah right, sort of.
    But I don't know if F1 and Indy want to renew the experience they had in the past.
    Liberty is looking for rich cities to pay its fees, and I don't think Indianapolis is going to do that.
    It's a pity, I liked the Indy circuit. It's a permanent track that has all the installations needed and knows how to look after the public.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#54 DF1, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ouch!

I wouldn't call that a delay. 5 to 10 years is so far out, that's more like "never gonna happen". Bummer.

I never understand the cities who are given a golden chance to get more tourist business and tax dollars and then they turn them down. Same thing happened with the proposed Star Wars museum in Chicago and the locals turned it down. I'll never get these people.

greg328 likes this.
  6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I don't think Roger Penske is ready to go at Indy, however.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148404/f1-us-expansion-taking-longer-than-wed-hope
    Chase Carey has downplayed the impact of the delays to the planned Formula 1 race in Miami, but conceded to feeling frustration over its "ongoing complexity".

Since its takeover of F1 in 2017, Liberty Media has been eager to grow the series in the United States, with plans for a grand prix in Miami being worked on over the past two years.

Opposition has led to a number of changes to the proposals.

The current plan sees the circuit avoid public roads around the Miami Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium, as well as avoiding on-track action during school hours.

The project is still facing protests from a number of local groups, most notably at the Super Bowl, which was held in Miami at the start of February.

But a major victory was scored earlier this month when commissioners did not vote down the proposals, allowing the Miami Dolphins' owners to proceed with plans to build the circuit within its grounds.

Speaking to Autosport at the BHMSE conference in Baku, F1 CEO and chairman Carey conceded he felt some frustration over the delays, but said building the series' profile in the United States has always been viewed as a long-term project.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"We knew the US was going to take time. On one level, yes, it is clearly taking longer than we would have hoped," Carey said.

"I think it's frustrating on one level because we've spent as much time and there seems to be always some degree of ongoing complexity.

"I think the reality is that the US for us, to really build it, it's a five-year-plus timeframe. We said all along the US isn't going to change our world in two to three years.

"The goal is really in five to 10 years from now, the US becomes a meaningful market for us. In that context, 12 months it isn't that big a deal, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating as you continue to go through it."

Talk of additional F1 races in the United States has intensified following Roger Penske's purchase of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Penske confirmed at the time of the acquisition he would assess the possibility of bringing F1 back to Indianapolis, which hosted the United States Grand Prix between 2000 and 2007.

Carey remained coy on any talks with Penske, but said he was aware of the interest and spoke warmly of the circuit's place within global motorsport.

"I know the Penskes, I've had contact with the Penskes, I knew them before they bought Indianapolis," Carey said.

"But again I probably wouldn't comment on conversations. I'm aware of the interest.

"It's obviously an iconic track for world racing. It's part of the Triple Crown: Monaco, Le Mans and Indy. So it speaks to what that track means.

"It's a special track for the motorsports world."

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Have faith, Miami will screw this up somehow.

For sure, Liberty wanted the Miami visual, downtown skyline, turquoise waters, cruise ships, palm trees
    et.al. But, things have changed in the downtown area since the last Miami Grand Prix of the Americas
    which had virtual carte blanche to design their course however they saw fit.

The areas where the Grand Prix of the Americas ran are now designated parks and/or cut off places of
    business to the point where everyone was crying foul, even supporters of the event.

What is interesting about the move out to Hard Rock is the area that the track will occupy is the stadium's
    parking lot. If they expect 100+K people to show up, where are they going to park all the cars? It sure
    ain't going to be in Miami Gardens.

The other thing about the Miami Grand Prix and Liberty was/is, Miami gets a pass on the sanctioning
    fees which has other circuits like COTA, Silverstone in a snit and making protest statements. Homestead/
    Miami International Speedway and NASCAR most certainly continue to make trouble for the event.

There are a lot of powerful enemies lined up against this event and if they actually pull it off, it will be
    a minor miracle.

BHW

10. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    See post #58....Penske is closer than I thought. He won't do it if he can't make money, so....where does that leave us? Serious question.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't know if the cities turn a "golden chances" but often it's the local who oppose it, and the town administration needs their vote.
    You have to be at the heart of one of these "events" in town, and measure the disturbance they cause to really understand the feeling of the locals.
    Battersea, in London where I live, is a relatively quiet borough with not much activity; it hosted the F-e London GP for 2 years; it's like a F1 GP, but on a lower scale.
    I was quite enthusiast about the prospect the first year, but it turned into a nightmare that did cost me inconvenience and money.
    I was literally hostage in my flat for over a week, with constant work (day and night) to erect the installations, pits, tribunes, paddock, etc...
    There was an almost incessant flow of trucks, building activities going on, permanent noise (they tested the public address system at night !)
    There was a road diversion, public transports couldn't get through, some shops couldn't get delivered and had to close for a while, schools were suspended, etc ... That's how bad it became.
    For 10 days, I couldn't access my reserved parking space for which I pay £1200 a year, and the road to the underground car park was also closed! I had to leave my car in the suburbs, and take a cab home everytime I wanted to get out.
    Most of the people in my neighbouring felt the same, and we made representation to the Town Hall for the event not to be repeated.
    We received the assurance that one more race was signed for, but no more. The second time was worse, but we knew what to expect by then.
    Towns are not the best places to attract crowds and organise speed events; most of the locals don't benefit from the financial rewards.
    You may not get people like me, but I am dead opposed to a race in a town I live in.
    BTW, the local council in Battersea didn't get re-elected !!!

greg328 likes this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I live in Chicago near a baseball stadium and I'm quite used to the overcrowded streets and bars on game day (a game I couldn't care less about). But it is good for the city and neighborhood as it brings in massive amounts of $ and makes (most) people happy. I was disappointed when Chicago lost the bid for the Olympics (and look how that turned out) and I was really stunned when these yahoos turned down George Lucas to build a Star Wars museum in an area where you have basically no residences but exposition, parking and sports arenas.
    The proposed F1 venue would similarly have little impact on the residents of Miami (a city big enough to absorb the 100k race fans) but bring in major $ and put the city into the global league of F1 metropoles.

greg328 likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Personally, I would prefer to go to big events than them come to me ! But each to his own, of course.

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

F1 And Dolphins Hit With Lawsuit Over ‘Painful’ Miami Grand Prix

Formula One and the Miami Dolphins are being sued by a group of home-owners who want to put the brakes on plans for a Grand Prix around the NFL team’s stadium due to the volume of the car engines which racing regulators admit exceeds the threshold of pain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2020/02/20/f1-and-dolphins-hit-with-lawsuit-over-painful-miami-grand-prix/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_content=3163602030&utm_campaign=sprinklrSportsMoneyTwitter#3c0df9d35274

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On the map above, that dinky little chicane in the upper right corner is ridiculous and totally unnecessary, and it's got to go!

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    WTF????.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Today, a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit was lodged against Miami-Dade County, Mayor Carlos Gimenez, the Miami Dolphins organization, F1, and Liberty Media. This is to challenge their “racial discriminatory decisions and actions” to bring a MiamiGP to the city.

(I hope I don't get banned for this.......I could say something about this but I would definitely be banned)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 likes this.
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There are times when a plaintiff looses a law suit and is shot rather than made to pay court costs for the other side.

greg328 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Err...hold on, but that is insane !

Nembo1777, jgonzalesm6 and tifosi12 like this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Just because something is InSane does not mean you cannot sue.

Or as an old movie once stated "You can indict a ham sandwich."

tifosi12 likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I won't comment on the politics of this lawsuit as that belongs into the P&R section (and I recommend you all abstain from commenting as well).

But from a racing perspective it sounds like a Miami GP is not going to happen anytime soon. Pitty.

23. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Not surprised. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 5 years. MDC is a ****hole.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Miami will try to put in a bid for the 2022 calender.

tifosi12 likes this.
  25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    OMG, that'd be so awesome!