Transporting a car to California from Virginia Beach, VA | FerrariChat

Transporting a car to California from Virginia Beach, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by azzurribaggio, Apr 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Hello, can anyone recommend a transport company they've used to transport a car from Virginia Beach, VA to California? I'm transporting a normal SUV and not an exotic.

Also will transport companies allow you to put items in the vehicle like small moving boxes and TVs for example?

Thanks in advance!

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have heard nothing but good things about Intercity. I used FedEx/Passport several times years ago with a great experience each time.
    I can't see why having some items would be a problem, they just need access to drivers seat.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  3. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #3 VGM911, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    These guys transported a car that I purchased in New Mexico last year to my home in New Jersey. Very satisfactory service and competitive price. You'll like Mike.

Mike Newson
    Safeway Car Transport
    800-453-6334

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I have used Intercity many times, always without any problems. They may offer a discount to FCA members (not sure). If you do pack small items into the car being transported, make up a detailed inventory of every item and every box, take photos photos photos, and make sure that inventory is part of the driver's manifest so he can sign off on it, at least to the number of boxes.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  5. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I recently saw an email about Amtrak car trains up and down the Atlantic coast. I don't know if they would ship your car without being a passenger.

I wanted to send a car to Concorso Italiano and the car transporters were well beyond what I would consider.

I also see ads for Uber freight on Facebook.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    PLYCAR has done good for me lately ...there are many other good companies ..my only suggestion is go direct with a company vs a broker which will just go out for low bid

7. azzurribaggio

All thanks, I did contact intercity and got their quote. I'll try some of the others have mentioned here and get some quotes from them. My timeframe is probably end of May beginning of June.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

8. azzurribaggio

Anyone ever use any of the below?

• AmeriFreight
    • Montway Auto Transport

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

No, never heard of either, but that doesn't mean anything.

10. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I just used Montway. What a colossal mistake I made. They take your money, broker to a budget carrier and take zero responsibility for anything negative that happens.

My driver seat lumbar was literally ripped upon arrival. The driver was simply careless when repositioning my 308 to accommodate other vehicles while en route.

I filed a complaint with Montway. They “greatly regret any inconvenience this may have caused,” and they then took ZERO responsibility. They said there were no “before” photos. Not true. I took them and then sent those photos. I then sent the photos after delivery.

I was met with their silence.

MONTWAY. NEVER AGAIN.

E60 M5 likes this.
  11. azzurribaggio

Hi all I actually went with midwestexotic. It was a good experience, my situation was that I had a small window for the pickup so they found a transport that wanted $2800 and they negotiated down to $2500 for an enclosed transport. The transport pickup was way late and they wanted to meet at the pickup site ( target parking lot ) around midnight since they weren't sure when they would arrive...then they requested I leave the car there with the key hidden somewhere since they were still running late. At that point I said I'm not doing that and called Midwest where he told the driver if they wanted this job they need to pickup the car the next day since it was ridiculous to ask the client to drop off a car. So they did so ....the driver said they would deliver it later that weekend, pickup was on a Sunday. So I'm about to board my flight on Tuesday back to the West Coast when the driver texts me that they will drop off the car at 5pm that day. I told them I don't get in till 11pm, so I once again called midwestexotic and he told the driver he needs to wait till I get into town, Midwest told me since I haven't paid for the job yet those guys aren't going anywhere.

So car made it OK, I did find one scratch on the passenger side the next day I didn't see at pickup in since my it was dark and the transport company said that scratch was already there and sent me some pics they took at pickup. I showed them my picks before the pickup, but since they alread dropped off the car and I paid for it already I had no leverage.

Anyway I did appreciate the owner of midwestexotic stepping and dealing with the situations but in my defense I did give them 1.5 weeks notice of my dates and needs. They said at that time it was really hard to find someone who could take the job and they ones who took my car were the only ok ones who met my criteria of an enclosed transport.

Looking back I probably would've went with Intercity or Iron horse even though it would've been a bit more to ensure THEY would be the ones taking the job and not out sourcing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

E60 M5 likes this.
  12. raozlagan

raozlagan Rookie

Oct 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roz Lgaan
    You can try Fedx they are pretty good.

13. Yurtsy

Yurtsy Rookie

Mar 26, 2023
    Full Name:
    Tony Suarez
    I used A-1 Auto https://www.a1autotransport.com/ to ship across the country a couple years ago. Pretty affordable compared to others and didn't have any problems. As far as putting things in the car, I think there's some limitations there. Shippers may allow you to put a few things in the trunk, but I don't think they'll let you load it up or anything. Won't be cheap because of the distance, but if you check with a couple options and get estimates you should be able to save a couple bucks.

14. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You can load it up, but you’ll pay extra. They need to watch their weight just like any trucker.