Formula One - The best year ever? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Formula One - The best year ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Good catch!

Marty D and Jakuzzi like this.
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Clark was before my time in F1 - but I do have LOTUS F1 vanity plates on my.... Porsche? :rolleyes:

Senna was great, but I couldn't attach a manufacture with him (yes, I know he drove for Lotus)

Have to go with Michael Schumacher and the Scuderia. - Jean Todt and the Ross Brawn era.

- Throw in Eddie Ervine and that one drive from Mica Salo for ****s and giggles. :)

God I miss Formula 1

classic308, Rick Weston and Isobel like this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Seems to me I was replying to your post about 1990 not 94 or 97, yes?

Anyway, not just my point of view. Ron Dennis wasn’t impressed either if you read his telling of the incident: he saw the telemetry and called him out for not even attempting to brake. Pure chicken- - - -NASCAR move.

As for 97, yes, very disappointed because Schumacher actually stopped Villeneuve from probably overshooting the corner and beaching himself in the gravel and helped him win the championship. Not to mention the collusion between “rival” teams to ensure the championship.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Great post! All I can say is the most boring uninspiring is the hybrid era and loss of grid girls. The loss of the grid girls marked the point of in your face political correctness taking away much of the entertainment value of sports. Now sports with politics is an infection. But....I'm still watching it.

71type65, kes7u and Rick Weston like this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The other driver that many dont really give all the credit due is Jackie Stewart. He's also one if not the Greatest Driver ... obt
    By then Matra had tied up with Talbot and was eventually acquired by Renault. Their racing / car unit was made defunct and the engineering side was incorporated into Renault - Espace van was a Matra design.

The 81 - 82 Talbot - Matra was a good engine, but like a lot of their stuff too heavy. but the sound was great! I remember standing behind one as it was fired up at Silverstone ... the sound was amazing but the smell was even better. love the smell of those cars as they went by.

Matra did make a turbo engine V6 but it never raced. Technically the company still exists today - making Missiles and engineering still for Renault ... the military side was retained / spun off to the Lagardere group ... not sure who ownes that today.

Marty D, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

1990 - showed what Prost could actually do, and was a remarkable year for him. It showed that Senna was good as well, but uber flawed. The Accident in Suzuka is the defining moment of the Man. He knew what he was doing, did not care about consequences, and because of his popularity he got away with it. Kind of like Trump and the "grab them by the P" remark... Senna got by because it was Senna - and Ecclestone was afraid he'd go to CART PPG Indy Cars. it was a decision about $. In my opinion Prost should have been world Champion that year, he drove an inferior car into wins that most likely should not have happened. he was driving perfectly ... and People like Senna and Mansell could not take it. I think 1990 also ruined the reputation of Mansell for me. when he decided to "retire" at the British GP, and then was against Prost in Portugal - or Spain - while Prost could have won the race was disgraceful.

Senna was one of the best... but not the greatest, because of these flaws and dangerous behaviors. Clark, Fangio, Stewart, Lauda, Prost,Farina, Brabham, Fittipaldi, Piquet etc... all multiple world champions and did not EVER take a competitor out on purpose... Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton etc... all have those bad marks against them.... and for me are the worse for them.

william, Marty D, furoni and 3 others like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

And 94? MS didn’t ruin it there too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Natkingcolebasket69

I’d take senna in the same car over a season against any driver. Unmatched speed

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 spot on.

10. mrjoey

mrjoey Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph J Thompson
    I have been a fan of F1 since the mid 60's, there have been highs and lows as mentioned. The Lauda years at Ferrari stand out and his return with Mclaren and Prost. The Mansell years leading to his championship, Alan Jones, Gilles and Williams.

Isobel and spirot like this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

IIRC, Matra was never owned by Renault, or at least, not fully owned. They did built lots of stuff for them, but it still was an independent company.

The missiles thing is part of the Airbus consortium, and the car factory, after a short period with Pininfarina, is now owned by a much less glamorous engineering firm, I can´t remember its name.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Prost (and I’m French) wasn’t up to the Schumacher’s and senna’s level in the wet though

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    except 1994.... Williams was not in the same league as Bennetton.. Schumacher. Senna sensed that and was worried... likely what triggered part of his accident.

ingegnere likes this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    you are right, It was a "strategic Partnership" they were bought by Peugeot in the 80's - Talbot ... but then Matra Automobiles built the Renault minivan... it then got sold to Pininfarina - but has been defunct since. Aerospatial owns the missile/defense division. it was all together under the Floriat group, then Lagardere pruned off the auto divisions - & defense divisions... Sold Matra to Simca in the 70s= Chrysler France ... who sold it to Peugot. It was sad to see them go from racing. always loved Matra - it was "my" first team! Loved the V-12's, when I was a kid at Watkins Glenn you could hear the Matra & Ferrari's from down town when they were warming up. you always new the Matra noise it was distinctively louder than Ferrari or BRM.

Isobel likes this.
  15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The banning of Grid Girls, a decision made by US company Liberty Media as I understand ?

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Oh please... it was a freaking mechanical fault and Benetton was cheating.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Prost was in the car that Proni rammed in zero visibility at Hockenheim, and was spooked for ever by driving in the rain. That accident ended Pironi's career, and did cost both him and Ferrari certain WDC/WCC titles that year.

Marty D, Isobel, spirot and 3 others like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 you could hear the Matra over the other cars in the pack, a magnificent sound.

Marty D and jpalmito like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Yep I agree and Rmbr that day;(

Marty D likes this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Some might call it poetic irony.

21. 1968.

Bittersweet with the loss of Jim, it would have been his 3rd. :(

'Haven't forgotten the 4-way tussle 'twixt Hill, Hulme, Ickx, and Stewart. 'Down to Hill (39 pts.), Stewart (36), and Hulme (33) going into the last round (Mexico) as Ickx broke his wrist, in Canada practice, two races earlier, iirc..........

The manufacturers championship battle wasn't bad either. Same four teams.....Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari, and Matra.

Marty D likes this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are refering to the Imola race ?

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Interesting topic and been thinking about it a while.

I'd love to call any of the early 1990s but in all honesty I was too young back then. I watched the races but was more obsessed with the red cars (the noise) than anything else.

The most enjoyment I got from seasons such as 1998, 2000, 2001. Cars could follow closely, the speed was very high but cars looked even faster because you could clearly see they where being ''driven'' right on the limit. Something that's missing these days.

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Senna versus Villeneuve both in the ill-suited 126C both in their prime.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    1990 was awsome, unfortunately Senna ruined what had been an amazing season, if Prost had won it (and he deserved it) it woiuld have been epic.
    1979 Gilles was enough to make that season one of the best ever, so many amazing drives, Dijon, Zandvoort, and hpow many more, just top of the shelf
    2007 How great was that? 2 Ferraris against 2 mclarens almost t'ill the end, and the way we won, fantastic, the last great season in f.1

Isobel likes this.