F8 - Questions and suggestions for my F8 Spider build | FerrariChat

F8 Questions and suggestions for my F8 Spider build

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Schyl, Apr 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I’m just about to place my deposit for my first ever Ferrari! Couldn’t be more excited, but I still have a number of questions that I was hoping you all might be able to help me with. General thoughts about the build would be appreciated too!

The build:

Exterior: Rosso Corsa

Interior: Nero

Racing and Track

Carbon Fiber Racing Seats – RSCH

Racing Seat Lifter – RSES

Exterior and Colors

Yellow Brake Calipers – CALY

Front Bumper Insert Carbon Fiber – CEAI

Carbon Fiber Side Air Splitter – CEIS

Carbon Fiber Rear Boot Trim – CERB

Rear Diffuser in Carbon Fiber – CEXD

Carbon Fiber Headlight Bucket – CEXF

Front Airvents in Carbon Fiber – CEXG

Carbon Fiber Underdoor Cover – CEXS

Sport Exhaust Pipes – EXA3

Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler – FCWS

Scuderia Ferrari Shields – LOGO

20” Forged Dark Painted Wheels – RIFS

Interior and Materials

Carbon Fiber Racing Paddles - CFPA

Carbon Fiber Inner Door Handle - CIDH

Carbon Fiber Driving Zone + LED's - CIDL

Carbon Fiber Central Bridge - CILR

Carbon Fiber Sill Kick - CISK

Carbon Fiber Upper Tunnel Trim – CITZ

Colored Safety Belts – CSB1

Carbon Fiber Dashboard Inserts - DATR

Horse Stitched in Headrests - EMPH

Colored Mats with Logo - FLMA

Yellow Rev Counter - RPMY

Red Ring on Dashboard Airvents - RVEN

Colored Special Stitching - STC2

Equipment and Traveling

AFS System – AFS1

Suspension Lifter - ELEV

Homelink Garage Door Opener - HOLK

Front and Rear Parking Sensors – PAR2

Passenger Display - PDIS

HiFi Sound System – SNDH

Total including GGT, TSMG, Delivery: $426,050

My questions:

1. I’ve gone back and forth on the exterior color – I generally don’t care for red cars but there’s something different about the Ferrari Red that draws me. Other colors I’ve considered are Blu Corsa and Azzurro California. Does anyone have any pictures of an F8 Spider in Azzurro or experience with the color in general? I haven’t been able to find more than one or two pictures/videos online of an F8 in the Azzurro color.

2. For the interior color, I’m currently planning to go with red contrast stitching to match the exterior. As mentioned above, though, red is a color I generally don’t care for – I think the headrest logo especially looks far better in other colors than red. Does anyone have any pictures of or experience with (any model with) a Rosso Corsa exterior, a black interior, and yellow or white contrast stitching?

3. I’ve seen a number of posts on this forum about the ULEZ and SHF1 options. The dealer told me that all of the leather options in the build spreadsheet were only needed if you wanted a non-black color – they all otherwise came standard in black leather. Is that correct? What is the default material for the interior roof/pillars/firewall area? What options do I need to make sure I have leather/carbon everywhere inside the car (other than the floor carpet)?

4. I’m 6’4”. The dealer recommended that I get the racing seat lifter in case someone else would drive the car. I’ve never owned a car with a racing seat lifter before, and none of the cars in the showroom had the feature. If I don’t intend for other people to drive the car, is it worth getting? Do minor adjustments to it help make long drives more comfortable?

5. I’ve seen a few references to “hidden” options like an antenna delete, Italian flag colored button rings, painted shields, etc. Is there a list somewhere that has all of these types of things? Regarding the antenna delete, does that have any affect on the radio or other features or is it just for navigation?

6. Are there any suggestions or changes you would make to my build? It seems like its on the high end for options relative to other build. I’m not overly concerned about selling it as I tend to keep my cars for a long time.

Thanks!

Ivinsea likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats ;)
    If the F8 is like I remember, without SHF1 you get carpet-like material and without ULEZ you get some terrible fabric (fortunately you don't have to look at it too much since it's mainly on the roof). With the options you get leather and since you're paying for it, Ferrari generously allows you to choose the leather.
    You get some "special options" in the attached doc.

Attached Files:

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I'm about done with my spec and it's not too dissimilar from yours. So far I'm with Rosso Scuderia on Nero with a decent amount of alcantara and red accents. Scuderia pops a bit more than the Corsa (IMO). But I still may go Grigio, lol! I have full electric Daytona's now and have come to dislike them due to lack of horizontal support. The racing seats are a major upgrade.

As I'm am coming from a fully optioned 458 Spider with a ton of CF, this time around I decided to back off a bit on the interior CF and go with a lot more alcantara. The interior aluminum look isn't too bad, and and it's easy to go down a $20,000 rabbit hole on inside CF if you're not careful. Outside, yes, still doing a bunch as I'm not a huge fan of the black plastic.

I'm going with the lift this time, because I've tired of the drama of trailering the 458 without I (to better roads up north). Also, I didn't like the red rings on the AC vents when I saw them in person, and opted for the black tachometer this time around.

I'm not going with the fancy HIFI or satellite radio this time because they're useless in a 458 (unless you're polishing the car outside). Maybe better in the F8 because it's quieter?

So far I opted for the seat lift so my wife can drive it, but I understand Hill Engineering makes something similar, you may want to check it out. I will be, too.

Definitely get the backup camera if you didn't spec it.

Most important of all, certainly seek opinions, but get what you want. It's yours to enjoy, you've earned it, and sounds like you will have it a long time. The brand has a way of working its way into your mindset.

Always here to help. I may have a full list of options if you need it.

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    Thanks! This brochure is exactly what I was looking for - too bad it gives me more questions and research to do (and undoubtedly a few more thousand dollars out the door :D). Have to see if I can find examples of the Satin finish horse and logo now.

Scuderia is a great color! I likely would have gotten it myself if I didn't have another car in an orange already.

Opted for the audio upgrade only because it represented such a small increase (percentage wise) relative to the car's price and I worried I'd be kicking myself about not adding 1% to get it later down the road. Of course, I said that about the CF diffuser, the CF splitter, etc. etc. and soon enough it added up to 33% of the car's base price :D I may revisit some of those interior carbon options like you suggest and see if I can't shave a few thousand back there.

Definitely understand where you're coming from RE opinions. One thing I've found interesting perusing these forums compared to the forums of my other previous cars is just how little consensus there seems to be on so many options. Some people here love the audio upgrade, others think its a total waste. Same with the lifting system, carbon options, passenger display, etc.

wthensler likes this.
  5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think that is a solid build. If you are not a red color kind of guy. Take your time in researching the color you really want. Go to a dealership and ask for the sample plates. They will give you an idea. Unfortunately, you can't really visualize how it will finally look on the car as you won't have the ability to see how the lines and angles work with the color and lighting on the plate. Walk around the show room as well. It may give you ideas. Finally, if you have an idea of a car meet, where they have Ferraris, swing by. It may be the most helpful thing you can do to make sure you end up with the color you want and not the one you are settling for.

Chizz, IloveGT and Ivinsea like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You cannot compare the upgraded hifi of the F8 and the 458. Both the standard and upgraded 458 systems were absolutely abysmal. The upgraded F8 system is not perfect, but pretty nice overall. Would be a mistake not to get it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF, Chizz, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    I guess I didn't explain my preferences well enough! I really like the Rosso Corsa on this car - it just surprised me how much I like the Ferrari red because I haven't cared for red on other cars. The only concern I have about red is as a color for the interior contrast stitching - it just doesn't have quite the same pop or appeal to me as a yellow or white might. I worry, though, that yellow or white stitching might look off when paired with the red exterior.

GT2goneF and MANDALAY like this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

My only comment is it seems you’ve gone for many options but no CarPlay. It is very expensive but given the amount of options on order already, I would add it, even if you are not an Apple user. I’m not saying this to be a downer, no one ever goes into their first build thinking about the day they have to sell it, but that day often arrives for many of us, and then you will be against a sea of similarly specced cars and I think there is a good chance a prospective buyer would say- gee you paid for all these options but no CarPlay, I really want to use waze in my car, I’ll keep looking.
    Just my 2 cents. Very nice spec!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

My 2 cents . Basically many here will know that i have said this a 100 times.

So many options but missing the very first 2 that need to be ticked is Leather roof or alcantara if you have any in the car ( this will give you leather A pillars and also sunvisors ) The OEM material is crap. Second leather on the fire wall. Its carpet but looks wrong being there.

I love red but especially Rosso Corsa but over the many years i always hated that at certain angles no mater how corrected the paint is it will be flat. This is because its a solid colour. Thats why many other reds shine no mater what angle because they are metallic.
    When the 488 GTB was released Ferrari finally released a new colour Rosso Corsa Metallizato . Awesome IMO ! RC with very fine metallic. Shiny at any angle.

Next again IMO since you asked. Black interior with red stitching etc because of a red car just looks like its been done before Asian cars all the time. The red is lost in the black as you pointed out about the head rest horse. I went white and it really defines the black leather .

Im monochromatic by nature and i found that the yellows do not match up in shade between shields , calipers , taco and emblem on the steering wheel.

For me it was a no brainer and dont put 2 together. Black Taco, and only shields on the guards.

I will point out that i dont like carbon, hence why there is none. But i still have my LED's and paid double just to delete the carbon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I would not get the carbon front bumper and rear diffuser. They are super expensive and if you damage one area you will have to replace the whole thing. I did the front bumper insert in Carbon. Did you do the engine bay in carbon? That looks fantastic!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

xBox, GT2goneF and AD211 like this.
  11. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    I see what you're saying, but it seems too remote a chance in this moment to add in the $4k for a feature I won't use - and can't guarantee a buyer will use (if I ever do sell it).

Is it just option ULEZ? Or is there another option I'll need to tick to get everything in leather in the spider? I don't see the SHF1 option on the spider list.

I'll definitely look at it. Hopefully I can get the dealer to let me know if one comes in so I can see it in person. Thanks for posting all of the stitching pictures! Looks good.

Can you save your extra carbon for me next time? :D

I chose not to do the engine bay in carbon only because I'm going with the spider. If I had the coupe I'd 100% have gone with it.

Thanks all for commenting!

Does anyone have any experience with the racing seat lifter? Does it have any utility during long drives just for adding another way to change the seat position? Also, in the special equipment brochure a user posted above, there was a Satin logo/horse option. Does anyone have a picture they could share of that option?

Thanks!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yeah duh I wouldn’t do it on a spider either. I forgot you were getting a spider.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Dont know the codes , just point to the roof and where the storage net is behind the seats :)

On carbon if i did go F8 i would even remove and or pay to get the carbon removed from the dash where the passenger display goes. That is standard.

With regards to RCM colour just look at any RC car at different angles and you will know what i mean.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Racing seat lifter is a lever that allows you to adjust the height of the racing seat. It is purely manual. If you are the only one who will be using the car then it may not be necessary. But if you will ever share the car with anyone else it can be useful. The only other downside I find is for some reason when I get back into the car it seems as if the seat is not quite at the same height as I left it, I think I must gently touch or brush the lever on my way in or out of the seat. So I learn how many lifts from either the top or bottom of the range I like on each particular car. That is my method. I would get it if it were me. But if you will not have anyone else using the car then you are good. Also the standard racing seat can be adjusted, but usually it needs to be via the dealer, there are I think 4 height positions and there are bolts that can be removed and then reinserted. I don't wish to be argumentative, but I've been buying, owning, and selling exotic cars for nearly 30 years and while there are cars that are "forever keeper" cars, my experience is for most of us, with most cars, the day comes when something else catches your eye and then its time to sell. Another way of putting it is, for any deal its always good to know how you not only get in, but also get out. The "this car is a forever keeper" car mindset is a great way to justify all kinds of expensive options, and I have done that many times so I am guilty as charged, I'm just trying to share some experience.

Texas2step likes this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If you want red, I’d seriously consider a metallic color. Take a look at Rosso 70th anniversary, more of a true red (no orange in it) with a fine metallic.

MANDALAY and GT2goneF like this.
  16. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    Well, I got the call last night - Mar/Apr allocation for June-ish delivery of an F8 Spider. Just have to give the word to finalize. I added/changed a couple of things from the original build I posted (mostly just added more carbon each month I was waiting :D)

Exterior: Rosso Corsa Metallic
    Interior: Nero w/ yellow stitching

Carbon Fiber Racing Seats – RSCH
    Titanium Wheel Bolts - TIWN
    Yellow Brake Calipers – CALY
    Front Bumper Insert Carbon Fiber – CEAI
    Carbon Fiber Side Air Splitter – CEIS
    Engine Covers in Carbon Fibre = CEL2
    Carbon Fiber Rear Boot Trim – CERB
    Rear Diffuser in Carbon Fiber – CEXD
    Carbon Fiber Headlight Bucket – CEXF
    Front Airvents in Carbon Fiber – CEXG
    Carbon Fiber Underdoor Cover – CEXS
    Sport Exhaust Pipes – EXA3
    Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler – FCWS
    Scuderia Ferrari Shields – LOGO
    20” Carbon Fiber Wheels – RMCF
    Carbon Fiber Racing Paddles - CFPA
    Racing Paddle Dreamline (Yellow) -
    Carbon Fiber Inner Door Handle - CIDH
    Carbon Fiber Driving Zone + LED's - CIDL
    Carbon Fiber Central Bridge - CILR
    Carbon Fiber Sill Kick - CISK
    Zone Baule in Carbonia - CIZB
    Coloured Inner Details (Yellow) - CLDT
    Carbon Fiber Dashboard Inserts - DATR
    Horse Stitched in Headrests - EMPH
    Colored Mats with Logo - FLMA
    Yellow Rev Counter - RPMY
    Colored Special Stitching (Yellow) - STC2
    Upper Part in Colored Leather (Black) - ULEZ
    AFS System – AFS1
    Suspension Lifter - ELEV
    Homelink Garage Door Opener - HOLK
    Front and Rear Parking Sensors – PAR2
    Passenger Display - PDIS
    HiFi Sound System – SNDH

The only thing I'm not sure on is the color - currently on Rosso Corsa Metallic based on comments here and my general preference for metallic paints, but Rosso F1 2007 and Rosso TRS also look pretty good . . . it's just tough to find videos to get a good sense of them and there aren't even any samples locally. I also know there's lots of red/yellow haters on here, but I think the yellow looks great in the areas I have it.

Please let me know your thoughts once more! And if you have any information or good videos of F1 2007 or TRS that'd be very helpful.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dijit

Dijit Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Hampshire
    Visually similar to mine. (I’m non metallic but think it will look great in metallic).

Mine is missing the cf air splitters but I am going to have them fitted soon as I think they compliment the wheels and engine cover.

with the front bonnet (English!) you have a choice of black trim or painted body colour where it meets the windscreen.

I’ve seen a demo car with carbon fibre B pillars instead of gloss black but it’s not in the accessory book. So look out for those. (They might be the same ones as the 488).

One thing we all have in common - once you put your foot down, you soon forget about the importance of all the options!

the car is awesome!

Chizz likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Well I am biased as you know I have the RCM.

RCM is a very fine metallic, neither gold or silver actually red. This colour however will not change shades in direct sunlight , shadow, angle etc etc.

The other colours you suggest will change shade. This is what caused me concern and I opted out from the Tri-Coat.

Your comments on yellow are what you want BUT please be aware the yellow on the shield , calipers and even center cap are all different shades and do NOT match. Again something I couldn't accept.

Also wont be cheap as you have a lot of carbon.

BUT a cheap piece that you have not ticked is the roof lining. The OEM stuff is crap. Do leather IMO . Your could do alcantara but you have non in your spec. This will also give you leather A pillars and sun visors.

19. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    Is the roof lining/A pillars not "Upper Part in Colored Leather (ULEZ)"? I do have that included.

I generally love metallic paints and I don't necessarily mind the thought of gold or silver flake in the other paints - but without the opportunity to see them in person it's a little more difficult to decide to go with them. Contrast to RCM where, at worst, it will just look like RC.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not sure get confused as there is the upper on the fire wall. I did that in leather also , not the OEM carpet.

RCM will look better than RC . Really seen when side by side comparison. RC at an angle will look flat. This is common with all solid colors.

Dont get me wrong the other reds are great . I however just prefer to see one colour/shade.

21. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    ULEZ is indeed the roof liner in leather and with colored stitching. Thoughts on speccing the rear shelf in leather? I believe it's SFH1 on the Tributo. Not sure if it's the same thing for the Spider. That's something I wish I had done.

You have specced even more carbon fiber than me! I wondered how many spider owners would spec the engine covers (I did) since you will rarely see them. Same thing with the Zone Baule in Carbonia - CIZB. I had thought about it (it looks great) but ultimately decided against it.

Regarding the exterior color, I chose Rosso TRS for my F8 Spider. I was going to go into the reasons for choosing the color but I haven't actually seen it in person. I took a bit of a leap of faith based on my research here on F8 and with any pictures I could find via Google search or Instagram. I'll definitely go the Atelier route next time. I'm expecting delivery in a couple of weeks. Once I have the car, I'll post pics. I am aware that it's hard to capture the color accurately but I'll do my best.

What I expect to see is that Rosso TRS is similar to Rosso Formula F1 (which I have seen) but without the tendency to appear orange in some lighting conditions. More of a true red.

Rosso TRS is not a metallic but rather a micalized mutli-layer paint. Mica are tiny spheres in the paint that refract (and may reflect) light into different colors; giving the paint a pearlescent appearance. My hope is that this will help show off the lines of the F8 better than a solid color (which can lack depth and appear flat in some angles). I also like that the color will change slightly from different angles. This should provide some additional visual interest and depth to accentuate the lines that make this car beautiful to behold.

I'll follow up when I actually see the car and will try to take a photo side-by-side with a Rosso Corsa car so you can see the difference.

22. Schyl

Schyl Rookie

Dec 2, 2020

I haven't seen an option to spec the rear shelf in leather on the Spider - I asked about it but the salesperson wasn't sure and I haven't seen it in the option spreadsheets. If it was an option, I'd definitely want to get it.

In my original spec when I first put down the deposit I didn't have quite as much carbon - no wheels, no engine parts, no zone baule. It ultimately came down to questioning the likelihood that not having them would bother me and recognizing that I almost wouldn't really notice the extra cost once I had the car in hand. I can definitely understand why other people don't spec these three items in particular given their costs and visibility but I personally don't like the stock matte black plastic or any of the other wheel designs. The zone baule, in particular, replaces a massive amount of the black plastic with carbon for the price compared to all of the other options.

I'd love to see comparison pictures if you're able to get them. I don't know how long it will be before I can't make any more changes, but I'd still be interested regardless.

23. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Challenge64 likes this.
  24. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
  25. Challenge64