Market difference between the F8 and SF90 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Market difference between the F8 and SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luis Solo

Luis Solo Rookie

Jan 26, 2018
    Key Biscayne, FL

2. RealityCheque

RealityCheque Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Naples
    Full Name:
    Alex Brisbourne
    At tim e of launch, I specc'd SF90, in yellow for USA delivery. Nice mid-spec, nothing OTT. Came in at $655k. Equivalent F8 (just for comparison) was around $400k. No rarity value to SF as there is no production cap. Brilliant vehicle though I don't like the new glass cockpit honestly. Anyway, cancelled my order and have 812GTS with delivery schedule November. Nice spec, and around $455k. It will be the last V12 Ferrari convertible, so look forward to a long life and think its great value (and you can actually travel for a week with more than a toothbrush!)

RamsHmb and Gazza21 like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hard to say for sure, but there's definitely a possibility that the 812 VS is the last V12.

4. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I don’t really understand the difference between the Bugatti Chiron and the new Volkswagen Rabbit. I mean they both are owned by the same parent company and the price difference is relatively immaterial to this group. Performance is almost the same as well.

5. RosoF1

RosoF1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2014
    Think Twosherpaz deserves a “drop the mike” for this latest (VW parent) post - can’t really top that !

Tech Nerd and Twosherpaz like this.
  6. gt corsa

gt corsa Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    pacific palisades ca
    Full Name:
    dennis white

7. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Isn’t the rabbit the replacement for the Chiron or is it the other way around? Why have both on the market at the same time? Lol.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  8. neunelf

neunelf Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    SC
    tough crowd.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Tech Nerd

Tech Nerd Karting

May 23, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This has been my favorite thread in a while! :)

10. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I would agree with 'Tough Crowd', but what a Fair, Honest and Hilarious crowd it is... !!!

Tech Nerd likes this.
  11. Cars_n_Guitars

Mar 28, 2021
    Boston
    Full Name:
    George
    I can only say why I would pick it “It’s damn SEXY”. Everything else about it awesome. But we buy these cars just for driving experience.

12. stewart kendall

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    StewartK
    re the SF90 after about 2/3 laps round a track, say Silverstone driving hard, the battery would now be well drained and the performance would have dropped down quite significantly. A pista would then give the SF90 a race.

13. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    #38 Twosherpaz, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Have you done this and compared these two cars?

I have driven the hybrid FXXK Evo and raced against FXX cars and vice versa. Only in Fast Charge mode does the FXXK turn into the same engine as the FXX. In long run it is significantly faster and in Qualifying mode it is yet again faster.

You would not need to ever put the car into fast charge mode in the scenario posed. It is usually done on a cool down lap in order to store the car fully charged or if you want to have a qualifying lap sooner than normal charging would provide. If one were racing a Pista, the car would be so far behind you after 2/3 lap at Silverstone, that you actually could switch it over to fast charge after the Hangar Straight heading into Stowe and still easily win.

stavura, Thecadster, Jaguar36 and 6 others like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Eh, haven't VAG sold off Bugatti?:D

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is not how the system works. In performance mode there is enough regen to always keep full power available on a track.

of2worlds and gzachary like this.
  16. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I don’t claim to be an expert on Rimac and their ownership, but this quote is close to how convoluted it can be:

“Two years ago, Mate Rimac told me that the moment would soon come when he'd stop being the majority shareholder of the EV company he founded in 2009. This was just after Porsche had acquired 10 percent of Rimac, only to follow up with another 5.5 percent in 2019. Today, the Croatian company's automotive investors include the Hyundai Group, Magna, Koenigsegg, and Jaguar. And if a new report by German publication Manager Magazin is to be believed, Volkswagen is to raise Porsche's stake further by selling Bugatti to Rimac.”

So VW sold Bugatti to Rimac in order to let their subsidiary Porsche acquire a larger stake in Rimac.

In my mind, it is not necessarily clear that represents a sale as much as it does a shuffling of assets in order to gain more control of Rimac.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thecadster likes this.
  19. PMBell357

PMBell357 Rookie

May 16, 2023
    San Antonio, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Bell
    Glenn,

I am in the process of ordering both spider versions and TRYING to talk myself out of getting one bc I see neither one as having space for me and the wife to tarvel WITH clothes in a bag. My friend says get both, daily the F8, and wknd the SF90....but if wifey wants to go and she buys something at the mall...I screwed. Just not sensible to get both even though i can....thoughts?

20. PMBell357

PMBell357 Rookie

May 16, 2023
    San Antonio, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Bell
    I asked the dealer for a build so I can order through the Mil Sales Program (MSP) and he said he couldn't help bc I wasn't buying car through them....I said but you will be servicing them you idiot!

21. Tech Nerd

Tech Nerd Karting

May 23, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I have an F8 Tributo and an F8 Spider that is on a boat heading my way. My experience in overnighting with the F8 is that it CAN be done - even with the wifey, if she packs a little lighter than usual. (I know - HUGE challenge!) That said, we have done a couple trips in the F8, one from South Florida up to Sebring for the FCA Annual Event in Fall of 21, and a couple times to Cavallino in Palm Beach. The frunk holds two soft bags, and then we had two shoulder bags behind our seats. It worked out both times, though packing the frunk is a bit of a Tetris challenge. Just wanted to offer some support that it COULD be done!

I cannot speak to the SF90 other than to say I am jealous. :)

22. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    If the word “practical” can be associated with any mid engine Ferrari, I suppose the F8 has more to offer than the SF90. Honestly, if I’m going on a road trip or plan to make a Home Depot run, I’m taking one of my SUV’s. Having said that I have gotten my kids hockey bag in the frunk of the F8…with his stick tucked behind the front seats.

Not that my wife rides in any of my Ferrari’s (she prefers her Portofino M), but I definitely wouldn’t take her anywhere if there’s a remote chance she’s shopping for something. Especially, not in the SF90. With the Assetto Fiorano package, I don’t even have a glove box. So, the tiny storage in the frunk area of that car is reserved for my charger, owners manual, detail spray & rags (for random bird ****) and maybe some personal belongings. Frankly, I prefer to drive my cars alone anyway:D

Both cars are fantastic. I sometimes drive them back to back, and am still struck by how very different they are. Ironically, I find the SF90 more comfortable…even with race seats in both cars. But, the F8 is the more practical daily driver. Either or both are amazing choices. First world problems for sure!

JJ77 and Techman like this.
  23. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    For those who are concerned about the storage capacity in the SF90. I had all this stuff in the car inc my wife, granted she had to hold a small bag on her lap LOL :D
    My car is also a Spider (not sure if smaller cabin than the coupe)

If there is will there is always a way.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Did you use the Ronco luggage dehydrator? The cabin must’ve been full, because there’s no way all of that is fitting in the frunk. Either that, or you must have a much larger frunk than I do:cool:

PS - love your color choice BTW

Pastaboy1980 likes this.
  25. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    That’s amazing.. hard to believe but if that all went into your SF90 then I’m taking my AF SF90 to Italy instead of the Macan.. will get a warmer welcome at the hotels too..