How do you use your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How do you use your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by AndreB, Apr 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Hi, I am curious to hear from owners how do they use their Ferraris?
    Do you just use it for the track? Club events? Short drives when family allows?

I live in a big city away from fun roads and debating if I can actually use a car like this?

Thanks!

one4torque likes this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I just daily drive mine, mostly from Montrose to Sugar Land and back

3. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I drive mine whenever I can. Mostly that ends up being for events/club outings, but I also just take the family and go. I also think it might depend on what models you are looking into, as mine is a GT car so it's meant to be driven.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Right, there are a lack of fun roads here.....I use my exotics (no Ferraris) on weekends, mostly point A-A drives, I live on the West side so drive I-10, 59 in Sugarland, Grand Parkway. Between the 2 of them I put on 2,500 miles per year. Yes, the cars can be enjoyed here.

one4torque and Mel Spillman like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Same here. Grocery shopping (pre-pandemic at any rate), date night with the wife, solo drives in the country, FCA events, etc...T

MaurizioAM likes this.
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dry weather daily driver -- to work (when I used to do that), errands (HEB, PO, Lowe's, etc.), and to the Gym (but I live/lived in Suburbia, not a "big city").

7. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Weekends only here, no track days. I live outside of town and commute in during the week, so my weekend drives are pretty pleasant.

8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Mostly point A to A point A and car events. I have small kids which take up a lot of my non-working time, otherwise I’d probably drive it way more frequently. If I was at “home” and didn’t have my car jacket on it all the time, I’d drive it for errands too. The only reason I wouldn’t drive it to work every day is because I prefer coworkers not know that I own one.

9. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    All great feedback, thanks.
    The car in question for me would be either a 360 or a 430.
    I do remember a parent dropping off his kids at the daycare (Kipling) in a silver California and I thought it was frigging cool. Of course every one else thought he was showing off but when you see the car every AM...

my only fun road is near Carlos, TX :(

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Two things I'd mention. For one, there should be closer driving roads than Carlos if you're coming from Houston. I know @Texas Forever says he's got some great driving roads in the Montgomery area which is about 40 min from Carlos, TX. The other thing is that these cars sound and feel incredible while you're driving, and driving on any road will feel like an event. Moreso than the newer cars since these (360/F430) feel more visceral at low speeds. I've driven the 458, it feels pretty docile during normal driving, whereas just cruising in the F430, you still feel the vibrations and hear the sounds; especially with aftermarket headers.

On the dropping off your kids in a Ferrari. Tough call. I still get self-conscious about people thinking I'm showing off, but I've gotten better about just not caring. I spent good money to realize one of my dreams, and I'm not going to have a stranger ruin that for me. Then again my kids aren't school aged yet, so ask me again in another year or two, lol! The driving to work thing is different because it can impact your career or business in unpredictable ways.

Mel Spillman and Texas Forever like this.
  11. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I used to drive the 348 quite a bit... before the bad times.

I always tried to drive it to work on Fridays to make sure that it got some exercise. That was from town out to the Energy Corridor and back on I-10 so not really a very exciting drive, but at least it was seat time. But driving a Ferrari to work requires the right attitude from your co-workers and clients.

Then I would just try and drive it as much as possible on the weekend, random errands, maybe 5 or 6 Ferrari club events a year, to the kart track, etc.

I don't really track it because it's a convertible without any kind of roll over protection, but once a year the club is invited out to MSR-H for a free track day so I usually go to that.

The thing that holds me back from driving it more is just the terrible condition of inner city Houston streets. A 360 or 430 will definitely ride better than my car, but I cringe a lot over some of the bumps in my neighborhood.

one4torque, AndreB, blkfxstc and 2 others like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Carlos boogie is cool. Just be aware the deputy dawgs make their book on this road. I have fun in the corners, but back it down on the straights. I got my last ticket there in 2005. I had driven my Maranello one way and then decided to double back. Mistake. I nailed it coming out of one curve onto a long straight and the V1 starts screaming. I just pulled over, rolled down the window and put my hands on top of the wheel. First thing the Deputy says is, "You have fast reactions." He was cool. He only wrote me for 20 over. I'm sure it was a lot worse.

AndreB, blkfxstc and VAF84 like this.
  13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

You're not kidding there. Years ago, when I lived inside the loop, I had a Porsche Cayman S. It was slightly lowered. Anyway, by the time I traded it in, the bottom plastic was pretty torn up from the roads. I remember once trying to beat a red light on intersection somewhere west of 610 Galleria, and I'm pretty sure I caught air because I'd overlooked a major bump in the intersection (it was dark).

If it wasn't the roads it was the rain. The same car almost flooded when I got caught in a torrential downpour near the Menil. I was parked on the center (crest) of the road as the water creeped up around me. Couldn't cross the intersection because the water was at about headlight level on either side of me. Close call, but eventually made it out. Houston can be rough on cars.

AndreB and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My Cayenne diesel is perfect for Houston. I would never drive a nice car in the city.

one4torque, Mel Spillman and VAF84 like this.
  15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I use it as eye candy as I pace around talking on the phone since my home office is directly off the garage.
    I use it to drive to Forth Worth once a month for the Ferrari breakfast since my son lives a mile away.

Sadly, not for much else lately. When I last got it inspected, the guy checking me out said "sir, did you know that since you were here last year, you've put less than 1000 miles on the car?". Um, yeah. :(

timjen88, AndreB, SAFE4NOW and 3 others like this.
  16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    California and California T , daily driver in and around DFW, and for as many FCA events as possible in any given month.
    512M, only driven to events that involve static display, as it is for sale, so minimal miles.
    Dealership Demo ( 575M, Lusso, Portofino, Roma, F8, F8 Spider, etc ) used to lead drives, stage at FCA events whenever possible.
    Oh, and demos are used when we go out of state for our owners rallys, where we spend 3-4+ days driving all over the place!!

Steve

17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Oh and make sure whichever variant you choose, it has the " bumpy road " option for the suspension, that helps alot when driving in the city. ( IMO )

S

MaurizioAM and AndreB like this.
  18. jtkeller

jtkeller Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    MaurizioAM, WJHMH and jimpo1 like this.
  19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  20. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting post. I sold my 328GTS since the roads in my area are completely shot. The potholes, older chip and seal which lives up to its name with “chipping” the paint, and narrow lanes on the country back roads really doesn’t make for a nice driving experience when you’re more concentrating on avoiding craters than the driving. Wouldn’t have sold it had known we would be moving so soon.

I’m looking forward to moving back to paved roads and a closer proximity to things. I’ll be driving the next Ferrari I get a heck of a lot more and every chance I get!

cheers
    Dave

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

I remember pre-driving a Sunday Morning Drive in your area, spent the day trying to put a drive together that was " Ferrari " friendly, your hospitality and offer was MOST generous, I wish we could have made it happen.

Glad to hear you are moving closer in, BTW you are welcome to come out to the events even before you get your replacement Ferrari!

Steve

22. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Steve,

I'll drop you a note tomorrow. We're here for two more months so let's try and coordinate something! It would be a great farewell to our ranch.

There's a great BBQ place that just opened up down here I can have catering ready!

I'll PM you tomorrow...

Cheers
    Dave

PS: yes, looking forward to being a regulator up there now

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  23. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    I do my best to get out of the city and drive back county roads. Driving in the city is not that much fun. Potholes. Uneven pavement and road construction make very unpleasant experience esp. in the loop. Near Carlos Texas is the “Anderson loop”. a fun drive near H-town.

Route: FM 149 from Texas 105, Montgomery to FM 3090, then north to FM 244, then south to Texas 6, Navasota area

24. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I really enjoy reading the stories, thank you for sharing.
    Houston is not nice to drivers and I do not enjoy parking events much.

still mumbling

one4torque and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    It depends on which car. I think the new Roma is a good GT and would work well in Houston. It’s elegant like an Aston but it’s a Ferrari. I also think the Lusso is also a good car for that.

The more exotic cars like the F12, 812, Pista and even the F8 are probably slightly less good if only because they are flashier.

Personally, I drive all my Ferraris everywhere, but I have completely lost my mind.

alex and Texas Forever like this.