575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dhalperin13, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @gtr - No, I wasn't aware of Will and Sandy's shop. After your post, I did review the thread discussing the build. Interesting that their first 575 conversion used a 550 donor transmission!

@NE550 - I drove an F1 transmission again today while "shopping for a friend" and can say that if all goes well, the gated 6 is the right setup for me!!

F456M, Ferrari55whoa and ewright like this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    EAG is literally making parts and sourcing common pieces for "normal stuff"....did any of you see the gatedsix instagram post today with all those clutch pedals that are manufactured and ready to go out on the kits. Its bananas in a positive way. I'm really excited for Dan to have his experience and share it with us first hand. It feels like EAG has gotten their process together.

Dan, thanks so much for keeping us in the loop as it proceeds. I'd assume the car will need to be in Texas at least a month or two?

dhalperin13 likes this.
  3. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan

Attached Files:

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can install the pedal in a couple of hours, but it will not do anything, unfortunately.

technom3, Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  5. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Post of the quarter!

6. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I mentioned Will and Sandy since in your first post you had mentioned risk management and based on my experience risk avoidance (if possible) is typically the best way to do risk management. Will and Sandy have a very good reputation (and work with some really knowledgeable folks like @360trev and @brogenville) and EAG seems to have a mixed track record. The problem seems to not be with work they do (which by all accounts is good) but with how they run business operations and planning.

7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As a follow-up to my previous post, the 3-4 month timeline for your conversion sounds like EAG is working towards improving their planning and communications starting with the right expectation setting.

brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is interesting to think about the evolution of these V12 Ferraris.... During the 50-ies and 60-ies, there were light weight V12 Ferraris with carburators, 6-1 headers and manual transmission. Then 4x 3-1 headers for the Daytona amongst others of the 70-ies. Then no front end V12 cars at all during the 80-ies. Then i 1992, the 456 came with front engine rear transaxle V12 layout with fuel injection. In 1996 the Modern 250 GTO (without mentioning its name!!) as two seater and much lighter than the 456, and in 2003 the 575M with automated manual and F1 race paddle shifters. In my mind a good, reasonable and natural evolution. -And now in 2021, we are back to 6-1 headers and going from the high tech from about 20 yrs back into a manual, for quite a good chuck of money aswell.... So maybe the basic concept was perfect in the first place...? The only thing missing is six Webers!! It took exactly 50 years go back to the start line :)

AHudson, Themaven, MRY and 3 others like this.
  9. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    On Thursday I arrived in San Antonio to meet the 575 and the EAG crew. Dave from EAG picked me up at the airport and brought me to the shop....maybe a 5 minute ride. Well, first stop wasn't actually the shop I was expecting to see...he first brought me to meet Art at their R&D center which was referred to as "The War Room"... Very impressive to say the least. This is where supply problems turn into solutions!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The R&D office was a few garage doors down from the main shop. One word to best describe what is going on here....WOW! I'll just say how happy I was to see the number of exotic car owners looking for the gated 6 driving experience...and how many of these have trusted EAG to make it happen.

To cap off this exciting trip I was able to go for a few great drives. Yesterday, I put in around 100 miles driving through Texas hill country with the magnificent beast I am calling "Alla Luna" :mad:

More pictures to come soon! There were a few surprises we found on initial inspection that are going to need to be addressed.

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This feels like it is going to be my favorite thread for 2021!

dhalperin13 likes this.
  11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    That looks awesome Dan, can't wait to hear more!

I lived in SA for a year, I liked that city a lot. There are some great hill roads to drive up NW of SA near Fredericksburg. If you're at all interested, there's a great Ramen place in downtown SA called Kimura. And if you've never had Texas BBQ, I think it's a must to take the drive to Austin and visit either Franklin or LA bbq.

dhalperin13 and F456M like this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good news! How many Ferraris have they converted so far?

Texas BBQ.. Yes please!

13. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Eric, you know I am going to enjoy this as well! The EAG crew is filming (maybe the better word is recording these days) the build and it looks like they are going to post content along the way.

Richel, Thank you! I think I will be back to San Antonio in about a month or so for a longer stay. If the 575 isn't drivable, I think Art just might let me drive one of his toys :)

Erik, if my memory serves me, they are at over 70 conversions out the door...and that number is on the move! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso, NE550 and F456M like this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That’s no doubt a beehive!

15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Wow that's a nice looking garage, they're certainly on the rise, good for them!

16. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I wish they sold kits so a local shop can install on my car. Just not comfortable sending my car across the country and really do not have time time to flying to Texas.

575 likes this.
  17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Check out www.gatedsix.com apparently they are working with shops across the country to do exactly what you are mentioning. Would be a better way to be “integrated into” the process.

white out likes this.
  18. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Dan is selling kits for 360/430 directly for skilled DIY or local indy. No doubt more models coming soon.

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dan, congrats again.

Our 575s have a nearly identical color combo - simply stunning! Good luck with your conversion, hopefully it goes sans friction. As for my experience, another +1 for Wil de Groot and team at Exoticars US; in their time converting the 599, I've consistently been in awe of their ability exceed all expectations. I've just purchased an OEM package for the 575, however I'm unsure if it's destined for conversion - but that is it's fate, Wil will undoubtedly be the expert managing that project.

20. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @Qksilver Thanks Joe!

I'm just a tad bit jealous of your OEM kit. On that note, I just posted my first "wanted" classified ad looking for an OEM gate.

Anyone have any....leads?

Dewinator likes this.
  21. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #47 dhalperin13, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Time for a project update!

Some good news to report, some exciting possibilities, and a few shout outs to this amazing community. I love these kinds of projects, and you all make it possible to have the confidence to do it right.

Onto the good news. There were a few things that the seller wanted to make good on (and has made good on). There was one item in particular that did surprise me when I took delivery. Problem & solution described below:

Problem : Notoriously brittle AC Panel was detached and cracked. (Sarcasm/) Also, see that blank dummy switch in the third bay from the right (/sarcasm)?

Two Stage Solution: Scouring the Interwebs for a donor panel, I found this:

This unit has been received and is in transit to Dave Lelonek @ Sticky RX. They are going to refinish the panel and convert from Celsius to Farenheit! Pretty cool. Also, that defective dummy switch is going to be replaced with this:

Onto the exciting part...I have been in discussions with THE Fabio for a complete exhaust system. The final details that we are trying to figure are in regards to import fees. @tazandjan Taz, are you able to send me a PM? Fabio indicated that you were in the know (surprising)! Also, thank you for the amazing content you have provided. I feel like I am learning more and more about these machines every day thanks to your posts!
    @Mellow_Maranello Alistair, it looks like Fabio might be manufacturing both systems at the same time :cool:.

For all you guys/gals out there that desire a Fabio system but can't decide...for all you guys/gals out there that are haggling with a spouse if this is a good use of funds...DO NOT WATCH the video below on a daily basis. If you do, you might make a decision that you regret....NEVER!

And definitely do not watch this either if you are looking at the race exhaust

First, shout out to the talented @Merrick Harding. He took some amazing photos of Alla Luna recently...they are such a high resolution and my tech savvy is so low, I cannot figure out how to compress them to upload. Here is the link to the google drive for this who have interest in some fine photography.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1RLF2M0RobQ-pC4b_7SWNdqtO6As2KhAQ

Second shout out to Robin @brogenville for hooking me up with an OEM shift gate. It's heading across the pond and I think I should have it next week. He converted his 612 to a manual by himself in his garage! I am going to keep my classified wanted ad up for the V12 gate, as I am guessing the condition wasn't perfectly aligned with Robin's high standards ;). Worst case scenario, I try to make this look perfect, find a more perfect gate, and pass along my second V12 shift gate to the next project.

Last shout out for the day, but certainly not least goes out to @white out . Man, your build is truly inspiring!!! Hoping to connect with you to get your opinion on wheels and suspension to make this car track ready. The 20s on my car look amazing, but I think there may be functionally better solutions.

I plan to post again soon with our project list running alongside the conversion. Upholstery is a big part of the refresh and I would like to your feedback. I'll post a quote for the work that came my way with the vehicle documentation along with some photos after I've been able to scrub off prior owners contact. Hope you all have a great week!

Dan

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- Customs duty on my set-up (headers, cats, connector pipe, remote) was $29.66, so yours is not likely to break the bank.

23. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Taz, that's good news. My AC panel was from the UK and was about 10%...and unexpected. DHL sent me an invoice mid shipment to collect. I think the subject line read something like "No Ticket No Laundry"

ewright and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Holy cow. Those exhaust videos are quite something. If I didn’t have Tubi back boxes on my 575 I would be sorely tempted.

with the Fabio/racing exhaust do you lose the dual character of being a gentleman’s cruiser as well as a bruiser? That’s louder than any V12 front engined Ferrari I have heard out of the box.

ewright likes this.