Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    It seems that Lawrence stroll was furious and demanded that Red Bull send him the plans of the RB16!:p

stavura, ebobh15, SimCity3 and 4 others like this.
  2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    NO, NO ,NO!!

You missed it completely.

Put another way, Lawrence is now simply 'Following the high rake concept of Red Bull' :D:D:D

Kevin

DF1 and jpalmito like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Might not be "that expensive" to simply buy RB .............

kes7u and DF1 like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Maybe they should, I would've told them that if it's so damn clear cut that the high rake is a better concept for 2021, something they now (timing is critical here) say they knew a year ago, to develop the car in that direction rather than whinge about it after the first race.

Wisdom in the paddock a day before testing said no one has a ****ing clue which concept is better.

There was a rule change, teams could change their rake angle if they wanted to go in that direction. Nothing prevented them to go high rake with their rear suspension.

I keep saying it, if it was that clear that high rake was so much better all teams would be high rake for this year. Fact of the matter is, there is merit to both concepts even with part of the floor now gone. Same as it was before. Red Bull stayed with high rake despite the low rake cars seemingly better.

If we really want to go down this route, the 2019 front wing rules really hurt Red Bull and their high rake.

stavura, SimCity3, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100%

Bas likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Anything interesting to talk about that could impact the next race? And when is the next race? Two cars...right...RB and Mercedes...and two drivers...Louis and Max...and everything and everyone else is just filler?

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Don't complain: lately all the grid but a car was a filler.

Bas likes this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It will be interesting to see how close Checo will qualify to Max, also what he can do in the race if he starts in the first two rows? I will be watching Mclaren and Alpha Tauri--two teams on the ascent--with interesting driver pairings. I think that both teams will be on for podium finishes this season.

DF1 likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Anyone have any insights on how Perez is integrating into the RB team? If Ricardo doesn't seem to be cutting it, could McLaren poach Russell from Williams, now that they are both Mercedes teams. Maybe Ricardo could replace Kimi at Alfa Romeo. Or if Russell gets tired of waiting for his chance with Mercedes, could he jump ship and go to Honda Alpha Tauri? At this point in time I can't think of any up-and-comer who would accept a ride at Ferrari. I'm sure Sainz is regretting his switch. Aside from the endorsement money he must get being a Ferrari driver, I think he'd rather be at the front of the grid and fighting for real positions.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Very early days yet John. Both Perez and Danny Ricc will gel with their new teams and should get closer to their teammates times(DR especially) Max and Lando have been with their teams for several seasons. I am a bit vague on the relationship of Toto and George Russell, does he manage him or have him under a personal contract? The driver line-up is stable at all of the teams especially Alpha Tauri, I am watching AT with keen interest this season.

Bas likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Russell allegedly is under a 10 year contract (!) with Mercedes/Toto.

I don't think Mclaren can simply get Russell even if they wanted to. Risking their engine supply is a big move.

I would give Perez a few races still. Race pace is his strong point (as he quickly proved once again in Bahrain), Qualifying RBR didn't need to take the risk and could've used him starting on softs and guarantee a Q3 run. Lesson learned.

Sainz...give it time. I was actually surprised by his performance relative to Leclerc, in a positive way. At Mclaren Sainz really started to come alive, perhaps slightly unnoticed. His performance against leclerc was very impressive, behind him as expected but much, much closer than I would've guessed. Pleasantly surprised. 2020 gave Sainz time to prepare for the Ferrari being **** and not expect too much. Take solace in some excellent road transport and focus on 2022 I'd say. Use this year to learn the team, how it operates, the people. Ferrari have an incredible driver pairing now.

Ricciardo will be up there with Norris before long.

375+ likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Good video explaining why Ferrari was limited in what it could do in 2021.

mb5, crinoid and walnut like this.
  13. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    F1 has been broken ever since they started with the new rules, budget caps and development limits.
    It is now so boring and lifeless; I cannot stand to watch it. I think Ferrari has made the right move by making the first step back to LM which will hopefully grow.
    If F1 does not make major changes within the next 5 years I think Ferrari will go all in with LM etc.
    Ferrari may never leave F1 but from that point they will only really be there in name only.

It is heart breaking to say this as I have followed Ferrari in F1 for almost 40 years.
    No matter the future I will always support them.

stavura, 375+, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Exactly my thoughts !

15. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    too upsetting to be here, might revisit in a few years

jpalmito likes this.
  16. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I can't believe Russell would sign a ten year contract unless it was for 25 million a year, guaranteed, play or pay. Right now, whatever contract he has, it is eating away his years and chances at championships and greatness. Maybe the payoff is big enough that he abandons his dreams and desires and just takes the money and looks the other way.

Bas likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's something Helmut Marko said (when asked if he would be interested in Russell at Red Bull). Perhaps he was being overdramatic to get his point across. But he is under a contract with Toto...

Coincidentally I saw the Bahrain episode of drive to survive last night...I forgot about the ''wrong tyres'' on Russell amid all the chaos...Fishy.

crinoid likes this.
  18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It shows just how daft the rules are, knee capping the opposition so they can never catch up. Bad car in 20 = bad car in 21

Imagine someone like Colin Chapman being told he cannot bring in some innovative idea because he has no tokens left....... F F S !

stavura, 635CSI, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Bas likes this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 but current rule for the year was COVID driven. Still its against the 'spirit' of F1......................??

TonyL likes this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Colin would show up at the next race with several innovation and force the scrutineering team to find them--without blueprints....

TonyL, Boomhauer, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    2022 Could be the turning point where the designer can be unleashed and exploit the ground effect rules, but the draconian restrictions on CFD and wind tunnel work coupled with lack of testing will result in some going in the wrong direction completely.

Newey could be the beast who understands GA more than most so Red bull with their own [nee honda] powerplant could hit the jackpot.

The FIA need to stand back but i fear the ex Ferrari management in that useless organisation will be one step ahead of them in curtailing any ambition.

Tony