Radio on with key out of car won’t go off | FerrariChat

Radio on with key out of car won’t go off

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Apr 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I have turned my car off in my garage and taken my key out, and the radio keeps coming on. Has anyone had this happen? It shuts off and about 10 seconds later turns on.

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Roma with keyless entry? I think it takes an extra press of the button to turn off like a BMW. In the Pista I had it in accessory mode opening the top and killed the battery as I then exited the car. Car must still be in accessory mode for the radio to be on. Also, remove key from car if it is a Roma. Auto lock would ensue.

Also, sometimes workers are accidentally left in the vehicles and like listening to the radio. What music is he playing?

3. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Sorry. This is on my California T. I should have specified that.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The ghost likes his tunes?

Hey Russell, how are you these days?

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would still try the double click that @Twosherpaz suggested.
    I know this also works on my Porsche. Never tried it on the Cali though, as I never turn on the radio...T

russellmcg likes this.
  6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a Mercedes CLK with a radio that does odd things from time to time like staying on with the car off and locked or not coming on a few times over the 10 years we have owned it. The easy fix for it is to pull the two radio fuses identified in the fuse panel guide, count to ten and put back in. Radio Re-Sets and the issue goes away for years at a time.

russellmcg likes this.
  7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Doing good! Have not been as active on here as I should be. How’s things with you? Good I hope?

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I would do a stereo reset first and if that dont fix it do a battery reset.

Stereo System reset: Push and hold the left stereo knob for 30 seconds then let go.
    Wait another 30 seconds then push and release the same left button/ knob.

russellmcg likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, doing well.....hope to see you at an event sometime this year

10. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Did this just start or has it always been like that? I had a BMW that did the same. The battery would be dead after a couple of days. After multiple trips to the dealer, they found the wrong fuse was used that allowed the radio to stay powered on without the ignition. I would replace your fuse just in case.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm an electrical engineer so I am having a difficult time understanding how a wrong fuse installed can cause a stereo system to stay on instead of shutting down when the ignition is off.

mikey k, lucasines and SVCalifornia like this.
  12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Joe, they fed you a line...

SV

whatheheck likes this.
  13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Can’t speak to the Cali t unit but had issue once with the California unit once while pairing with my phone. Radio just wouldn’t turn off. I pulled the fuse like mentioned earlier and never had the issue again while I had it. Also never used the radio, navigation or phone paring feature again either.

14. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Line or not. They had the car for 5 minutes, opened the fusebox, replaced something and I never had the issue again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Replaced the fuse , which killed the power to the radio. Which most likely cause a "reset" A fuse can't create power it is only a conductor of. Somewhere along the lines it was a misunderstanding came about. No competent mechanic would say such a thing.

whatheheck likes this.
  16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    get your old Louisville Slugger and beat the sh-t out of its misbehaving hide. :mad:

russellmcg likes this.
  17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Oh you tried that already? :)

18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well in the world of BMW you never can be sure. But seriously I’ve been fed some pretty good lines in the service department before. I have a buddy that works as the manager of the body shop of a dodge dealer. He told me the service dept. guys make bets to see how silly of a reason a car is messed up and the customer believe it. Apparently it’s just as bad in some sales departments. But I’ll bet your right was a simple reset masked as a larger problem.

19. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I could see that as a "game" some mechanics would play. But a lot of it is a communication issue. Example. We service high end apartment towers. One of our Plumbers fix a hot water issue and told the tenant to run the water for a little bit to let the air out of the pipes. Tenant turns on his hot water tap full and goes to work. Floods 4 suites and over $100K damage. I guess "a little bit" means different things to different people.
    Same as mechanics explaining problems to car owners who have no knowledge of cars. Might as well be speaking Italian.

20. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Sorry I digressed. Some of these electrical gremlins can be reset by a simple power disconnect. I am a licensed electrician and still can't understand why some of these things happen. One rule it likes is path of least resistance. Electricity is crazy stuff.

21. swiftar

swiftar Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The design on the California T is for the radio to stay on until you open the door. Once open - it should shut off.

Some convertibles (can not confirm on Cali T) have a setting to allow you to run the radio after key is removed so you can listen outside the car while the top is down.

Does your issue occur even after the door opens?

22. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yep. Turn the car off, open my door to get out, close the door and around 10 seconds later the radio comes on.

23. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ran across this on a Speciale:
    #8Nov 23, 2015

one other thought - make sure you have no bluetooth devices around/connected.

I can't confirm, but I always wondered if the car somehow thought it had an active call going, as if it does, it will stay on until the call ends

Well I'll be darned.. That worked! I spoke to the cheif mechanic at the dealer and a few other people and they had no suggestions other than to disconnect the battery.

Disconnecting my Bluetooth phone worked like a charm!

Many thanks to you!

russellmcg likes this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I suggest doing a battery reset.

See attached.

Dan