F355 Market | Page 221 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes, ability to buy less car for the same money. Aka buying power.

Not sure why you disagree unless you think inflation isn't real.

tres55 likes this.
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Both are early cars. So both have dual fuel pumps :). I'm highlighting some differences I see between early builds, not early vs late 95 builds.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, there is a lot that leads up to it, starting as a kid, then as a senior in college in 1969, but we'll skip that part. Just let me say that the Ferrari bug was implanted in my brain by then, not to mention the Italian heritage on my mother's side, and my interest in F1, at an early age. But due to a developing a career that bug was suppressed for a time, until I had to got to London for scientific conference in 1983. I stayed in a hotel in Kensington. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, there was this Ferrari dealer located just around the corner. You can guess the name of the dealership. They had this absolutely beautiful 308 in window with boxer paint job, metallic silver on top and metallic fuschia on the bottom. Bam, the flame reignited. I made up my mind that by 40 I would have a 308. Two years went by and on March30th, my 38th birthday, I strolled into Bob Sharp Ferrari like a naive kid in jeans and a torn flannel shirt and said boldly, "I want to buy a car." At the time Bob Sharp Ferrari was a couple of cars in the corner of Sharp's Datsun dealership. The salesman replied, "What kind of car." I supposed he was thinking some kind of Datsun. When I said a Ferrari he perked up a little. As I recall there were only two cars in the showroom. A used 308 GTS with one of those baker's pans under it catching the oil dripping from it, and a BB512 Boxer. He showed me the GTS and my response was that while I thought that was what I wanted, seeing it up close with the top on it just didn't do the trick. So, he took the top off hoping the regain my interest. It's was like, "Oh God, that worse." There were these thick rubber gaskets running across the windshield and the back part to seal the top. So I was about to tell him it wasn't going to happen when he asked me to follow him into the shop. There they had a 1984 308 GTB QV,Red/black in for service. My eyes lit up. I asked if it was for sale and he said, "You don't want that car. It was hit and wasn't repaired correctly. So, I asked can you get me one. He said their allocation (27 cars) was spoken for and maybe I could wait until October for the new 328. Not being a patient man I said I wanted a car by June. Can you get me one. Before answering he wanted to show me the rest of the shop area. Recall, back then Paul Newman was racing out of Bob Sharp Datsun and all his and cars were there, along with a stretched 308, or whatever. Having read about, but not it quite sure what it was, I asked. The reply, "That's the 288 GTO." So naturally I asked how much it was. $80k. Is it for sale? His response, and I will never forget it, "Oh, you don't want that car. You want a car you can drive." So, longer story short, we went back into the office and he agreed to try to find me an '85 308 GTB which he eventually did, from FAF Ferrari in Atlanta. But it doesn't quiet end there. I still wanted the 288 but I spent all me car money on the 308. So when I was back in the office I ask a partner in our company who was also a car guy if he wanted to go 50/50 on the 288. I would keep the car in my garage, take care of all insurance and maintenance and we to each take it out once in a while. Maybe up to Lime Rock, etc. I assured him the car would be worth a lot in the future and it would be a good investment. But he wouldn't go for it. So, no 288 for me. :(

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    ... wait a min. I thought no car was worth more than $60k ????? ;) I sense that event got you all discombobulated over car valuations ever since. Everything makes perfect sense now :eek:

tres55, Yassa and johnk... like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5506 johnk..., Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021

I'm sure I could have worked a deal. 60k for the car, 5k each for the wheels. Probably about right in 85. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Well. Happy belated Bday man.

Here’s a poster :). This poster was on my wall as a kid for a good 5-10 years. Always thought it was a 308 lol. It’s ok... they all look the same anyways right ?

johnk... and TipoF129 like this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    ShineKen likes this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I was watching this 288 GTO vid the other day. At 1:27 mark, he says, “it was only made available to the most VIP clients.” I’m just dumfounded how the 288 could be only an $80k car in the late eighties. Especially after the cost of importing them to the U.S. as they were not U.S market cars.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I presume that you have seen a 288 in person, but have you seen one next to a 308? There is no comparison. The 288 is pure testosterone. And they were purpose built leading to the GTO evoluzione which you don't hear much about. Only 6 were made. One is still at the factory. One used for development of the F40, or so it has been said. Who knows where the other 4 are. But just found this.
    https://talacrest.com/Ferrari-Sales/Ferrari-288-GTO-Evoluzione/8021.htm A
    Apparently for sale. Looks like a $60k car to me. I'll take 2, thank you. ;)

For me, this is where the Ferrari story pretty much ends. Love my 355 but it's not an Enzo era car. Would have loved to see the 288 race in Group B.

At least my 308 has the same steering wheel. :)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5511 johnk..., Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    I would presume the quote of $80k was an off the cuff comment as the salesman was not interested in selling me the car. As stated in the the link below the list price in $$ was, "Fortunately for exotic car lovers, Ferrari built 272 of the 288 GTOs, which listed at the American equivalent of $83,400." I know one ended up eventually in Ralf Lauren's collection and a local collector I know had one until recently. Funny, both he and I bought our 1st Ferraris at about the same time. Some of the cars he owns (or owned) included a La Ferrari, a 288, a 430 scud, an Enzo, a Datona, and other non Ferrari cars.

http://www.danjedlicka.com/classic_cars/ferrari_288_gto.html

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I have seen a 288 in person a few times with 308s around, but not side by side. Ironically, it looks like a supercar in pictures, but understated in person. It doesn’t have F40 in your face visual impact. You’d have to find the details and know what you’re looking at. I remember explaining to a buddy who doesn’t know Ferraris why the 288 we were staring at is special. But as I was explaining it, it did look like just a normal Ferrari from the 80’s, but a very beautiful one when you add up all the little details.

13. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Ralph Lauren sold his 288 years ago. Supposedly he regrets selling it. Wonder why he never bought another one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The guy I know in Hartford sold his a year or two ago.

15. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    If you haven't tried an ND2 (2019 or newer) Miata, you really ought to pick one of those up. I love mine.

16. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  17. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is some more info here on fchat buried in old threads, but the pistons are different as well. I think I remember reading that the heads were ported so aggressively that they had issues with the water jackets and changed the design accordingly.
    Dave Helms mentioned that the early cars also had neoprene spark plug cover gaskets that Ferrari would later say never existed.
    Early cars also had a different warning light arrangement in the cluster (SDLs in different spots).
    Daniel @ Ricambi has a fair amount of info about this (parts differences).
    I have owned an "early" '95 (FourthAlfa's car), a late '94 build date '95, and a '97. The earliest car was the fastest (subjectively....I never had them dynoed), followed closely by the other '95, then quite a big difference to my '97 GTS.

Sorry, back on topic...
    That Red Berlinetta at Beverly Hills Car Club (now appears to be sold) had a significant amount of needs... which would be expected given the price. But as I said earlier, Alex Manos isn't an idiot, he knew what he had and priced it appropriately.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  19. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    ShineKen likes this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    There's only 4 in this color :). Chances are, it is the same car.

21. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    100% increase in cost....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Back in early May 2020, I was trying to convince people in B&I car sales were oddly going THROUGH THE ROOF .... so go out and buy the car you want NOW. Not many wanted to believe it or hear it. I had even pointed out this Verde 355 which sat for 2 years had just sold! Well... now they want $65k more and everyone's complainin' prices are too high :)

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-markets-week-of-may-4-2020.621295/page-22#post-147206742

Yassa and carnutdallas like this.
  23. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Interesting. I thought the color looked more blue-green in the latest photos. Must be my monitor.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I thought it was blue at first glance (a very beautiful one) until I looked at the color code. Can’t trust some cameras or phone cameras these days for color accuracy (when snapping a photo). I’m viewing through my Iphone X.

Julia likes this.
  25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Julia and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.