F355 Market | Page 220 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Been reviewed here a few times. Car is wrapped in white so you do not know condition of the paint underneath. Car has 95k miles. Perhaps budget $30k for the worst if needs an engine rebuild? Priced low but many X factors that will require you looking into the car in great detail to access your risk.

2. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    PJ shares his perspective on the recent exotic car market (bubble?). I thought to share with the crew since he mentions the F355 in his analysis.

Spoiler alert (for those who don't want to watch): He doesn't believe prices will go back down on our beloved F355.

Yassa and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well if $69k with 93k miles is the new bottom, I did fantastic! But these cars will have life after 100k miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yassa likes this.
  4. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t know if there is a bubble but I’m now starting to see again a lot of classics TR for instance with people asking what they believe are new prices (based on BAT) and the cars are sitting instead of being driven! Sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would say so, you bought an 18 year old Ferrari for under 50k and moved on to buying a cheaper car. Could you have bought a gated 360 spider in 2018 for under 50k?

Not saying you still can't get a great car for under 60k (or even much less), just that you will lose buying power as the cost of things increase and your self imposed limit remains the same.

carnutdallas, Yassa and tres55 like this.
  8. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Early cylinder heads? What’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Cam cover bolt pattern is one.
    Other than that No idea.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You're talking value of money. I'm talking power to buy. At $60k I have the power to buy what I want. I looked at a gated 360 before I bought the Cayman. Wouldn't want one, at $60k or any other price, or a 430, 458, 488, F8..... To big and no use for more than 400 HP. Ferrari simply hasn't made a car since the 355 that I have any desire to own. The only other Ferrais that interest me are the 288 GTO (could have bought one in '85 for $80k but didn't 'cause I wanted a car I could drive), 250 GT California Spider, and the 1957 250 TR. Not exactly street cars that you would use for weekend drives, nor that I can afford.

The Porsche may have been cheaper that a 360 in 2018, but it's a better car than a 308, 355, 0r 360 in every way: newer, more modern, more reliable..... Next car I buy will could be another (3rd) Miata or an E30 325is (2nd), maybe a preowned M2, M3 or M4, Z3, Z3M, Z4, Z4M, cars that a just fun to drive. All under $60k. Life's too short to taste only Chianti. How about a little cabernet sauvignon or a little Pinot noir. :D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I say buying power and you correct that to power to buy? Ehhh o_O

If newer, more modern, more reliable are your only criteria a 2021 Kia should be looking pretty nice in comparison to that old outdated Cayman :)

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Kia Stinger with a tune will walk all those cars including the 355 so I think it's a no brainer John. :) Time for an "upgrade".

carnutdallas and INTMD8 like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m starting to come across some odd differences between my early 95’s. One being a June build and the other being an October build. Both built in 94.

I might start a thread on it if I can find the time. One might even have a metal plenum :eek:.

14. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    I'm also compiling a list of early 95 differences, and there are quite a few. Most difference are inconsequential to be honest (sand cast vs. die cast etc), but the cylinder heads are quite intriguing. It isn't just the bolt pattern of the spark plug cover - the diameter of the sparkplug well is smaller on the early heads (indicating more significant geometrical differences where it matters). The intriguing part is the number of people who claim the early ones made more power. I've got no hard data here, so don't want to "propagate a myth", I'm just curious enough to investigate further.
    Regarding the metal plenums, as far as I can tell they seem to be linked to UK deliveries, as odd as that may be.

15. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    What's considered early? The most obvious difference between my Sept 94 and March 95 cars is a lack of that glovebox thingy between the seats on the earlier car.

16. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Up to Engine #38150 which I guess was some time around October 1994 build date.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I personally think the cutoff date for differences between early builds is September 94. Then I would assume after Dec 94 you start seeing single fuel pumps (later builds).

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Braden worked on a U.S car that had metal plenums. Perhaps you should start a thread and I’ll chime in here and there with my finds :).

19. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    FWIW, My March 95 car has dual fuel pumps and filters.

ShineKen likes this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Good info :).

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm interested in the differences as well. I've not dyno tested a later 95 but I'm very happy with the performance of my Oct 94 build car.

Also I bought a 5.2 cylinder head to compare to mine when I have it apart. I'll measure the ports and also CC volume of them along with the combustion chambers.

ShineKen likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just off the top of my head, so far .. differences between my early builds. I’ll try to keep it short since this is the market thread.

Front turn signal bulbs are not compatible.

Undertray design is different (1 piece center vs 2 pieces). Front bumper side undertrays are compressed fiberglass vs plastic on the other.

June build car has horrendous sticky issues. Far stickier than Oct build.

Front tool box strap has buckle location/positioning different. I have 2 different toolboxes. One tall, one short, but that might not be related to build dates.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Let me change the words from power to buy to ability to buy.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Dual fuel pump vs single fuel pump. Different secondary air pumps.