How to install new metal enamel wheel caps? | FerrariChat

How to install new metal enamel wheel caps?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Snapshift, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I have a new set of Original Ferrari new type metal enameled wheel center caps and I am wondering how to best install them without bending or crushing the domed center. I will be removing the cracked plastic acrylic ones from behind after wheel removal but don't want to crush the new metal ones upon installation. Do they just press into the wheel by hand pressure or is a rubber mallet needed? any ideas appreciated. The video in previous threads by Ricambi is defunct so no info there. Thank you.

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Usually hand pressure or tap with the palm of your hand is sufficient. The old ones come out with a push from behind (wheel off the car).

Snapshift likes this.
  3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    If you need to tap the caps into place, the face of a typical rubber mallet is quire hard. Instead, use the long grain of a piece of soft pine; it has much more "give" to it. Tap the pine block with a small metal hammer.

Snapshift likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I would strongly discourage the use of a mallet of any type. The aluminum sheathing is quite thin, and will bend. Use the palm of your hand, and press firmly and squarely into place.

Snapshift likes this.
  5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Use a light coating of Vaseline on the friction areas.

Snapshift likes this.
  6. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Finally got around to replacing the cracked original plastic laminate wheel caps with the new metal type. They pressed into place easily with fingertip pressure. Color and cavallino are brighter and larger as shown in pics. The tips of the legs lock onto a ledge machined in the hub making external removal less likely. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: