FCA 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FCA 2021

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes i'm in vancover and its spilling across the river as well

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Apparently Pacific University is running a large vaccination clinic on their campus, and they couldn't guarantee campus availability for the Concours. And the Concours guys were unable to find a substitute site. Sad, I agree... and a bit shortsighted on Pacific's part, in my opinion.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is this cancellation just for one part of the FCA meet? Said another way, is the FCA meet still on?

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nothing to do with FCA, sorry. As far as I know FCA is still going on.

I was talking about the Forest Grove Concours, a separate event that happens to be on the weekend following FCA.

docster likes this.
  5. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    FCA Annual Experience is expected to happen as planned, as are the four following Drive Oregon 2021 three-day tours. COVID-19 restrictions are expected to be minimal by the time of these events in July, due to the encouraging rate of vaccination. Of course, any restrictions/recommendations that may be in place will need to be observed--and FCA has committed to refunding all registration fees in the unlikely event that the Annual Experience is forced to cancel because of a COVID-19 resurgence. FWIW, there are already 330+ registrants for the Annual Experience.

Also, one of the four Drive Oregon 2021 tours is fully subscribed, and the other three are approximately 2/3 full.

Come join the fun, and help make this an exciting break-out-from-lockdown experience!

wiley355 likes this.
  6. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    jcurry, docster and f355spider like this.
  7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Unbelievable! They missed the part of the press release where our Governor said that she expects to drop all restrictions by late June. Furthermore, in July they could easily have adjusted the event to even comply with the "extreme risk" requirements... for that matter, in the worst case, they could have scheduled events that need to be indoors across the river in Vancouver (which is literally 5 minutes from Jantzen Beach).

I could understand if they cancelled because they didn't get a lot of people who were willing to come out, but that is not what the announcement says.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Perhaps it was concern for something other than Covid 19 going on up there.

Im pissed. I had first class tickets cross country and blocked my schedule accordingly.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, in that case that's even worse. I drive my Ferraris in downtown Portland regularly (where the worst of the riots have been) with no issues, and all of the FCA venues were many miles away from anywhere where there was a problem.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But you live there and know what it is really like without outside influence.

Others such as myself only see the negative and form their opinions of personal and property safety risks based on an entirely different perspective.

Im not the least bit happy with all this. I was ready to go.

Manda racing likes this.
  11. Fiorano 550

Fiorano 550 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Folks today there were 217 new cases of COVID in Multnomah county. We need to get to 30 cases or less per day to be at a level we could have a full event. We have done a lot of work to say that. When we will get to 30 and stay there is really anyone’s guess. Then there is the question of whether or not all the venues we have events scheduled for can come out of ‘lockdown’ and fully ramp up with a quality product. For us this was too much risk, both financial, time commitment and possible significant disappointment that our member’s would feel with a cancellation closer to the event. As I have mentioned on the Events section thread the Drive Oregon goes on as scheduled and if you are interested in attending let me know.

surfwolf likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You cannot blame people for being concerned. I personally know people from several parts of the country who had no desire to attend for that reason alone. I personally told the FCA President if not for some responsibilities at the event I would not attend. I tracked your civil unrest and riots, looked up their locations relative to the event site and in a few instances were as close as 3 miles. Sorry but you have no one to blame but your incompetent local authorities for that situation. In any event that is not what put a stop to it. The handing of the pandemic did.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Believe me, you are preaching to the choir in terms of the incompetence of Portland and Multnomah County's government response. No disagreement there, although there are some glimmers of hope. But generally, you are correct about that.

The part you are wrong about is the locations of the violence relative to the event locations, and the likelihood of any issues. I would (and have) parked my Ferraris on the street in downtown Portland... no issues. My 911S is in the parking garage below me in downtown Portland right now.

That said, perception is reality and if there was going to be poor attendance due to perceptions, then cancelling is the right choice. I haven't heard that from the organizers at this point, but maybe they don't want to admit to that.

FerRrari likes this.
  14. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    This is what things have devolved to on Fchat? People from outside areas go into local forum sections to pick fights with fellow Fchatters who live there?

I think there are more truly unhappy people on this forum than any other I visit. I wonder why that is.

TTR, FerRrari and bjwhite like this.
  15. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I live in the Seattle area and visit my mother-in-law in Portland (she lives in NE). I don't know why people think there are riots and civil unrest in PDX and Seattle. Last summer, sure. There are still protests, but that's nothing new. Parking a Ferrari in Jantzen Beach is nothing to be concerned about, at all.

donv, Rory J and Manda racing like this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The media

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Multnomah County is probably going to the lowest Covid risk level on Friday.

18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    This thread on the event can be discussed without any further P&R being brought into this section.

A thread can be started in P&R if there is a need to keep this aspect on the back and forth.

Please move it along

Robb

TTR likes this.
  19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yes, and it's been going on for years. As great as this forum is in so many different ways, there is always this underlying current of this stuff going on here....and since it's tolerated in other sections, it bleeds over into others.

And Robb just nailed it. Personally I think the P&R forum pollutes this place, but hey, I'm sure my opinion is unpopular with the guy in charge. :)

johnei, TTR, Robb and 2 others like this.
  20. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    The Ferrari Club of America 2021 Annual Experience
    has been rescheduled and relocated!

FCA2021 will take place in SEBRING Florida, November 7-11

We are pleased to announce that FCA’s Florida Region has stepped up on short notice to host a full-featured Annual Experience this November 2021 including:
    • Concours d’Elegance
    • Competitive Rally,
    • at least 2 Pleasure Drives around the lakes, and
    • you can choose high-speed driving or casual family touring on the legendary 3.7 mile Sebring track.

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I guess they figured out they jumped the gun on cancelling the Portland event... hopefully nothing happens in Florida this fall like a bad flu season or something. Although the Florida Region is probably less risk averse than the PNW region, so there's that.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It had nothing to do with jumping the gun. Regulation prevented one region from doing it and another region has regulations that allow it. The decision to cancel one was put off as long as possible. With contracts etc the club cannot set with complete control the schedule for those decisions.

That simple.

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What regulation is that? Multnomah County is at the lowest risk level, and there is a good chance the whole "risk level" thing will be gone by the time the event would have happened.

Or are you talking about something other than Covid regulations?

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was the covid regulations. I do not know if it was state or county. They needed to be reduced from where they were to conduct the event at any reasonable level and they went up instead. You should really be asking these questions of the people there making the decisions.

In an event with people making commitments to go from all over the country you cannot wait until the day before to make a decision to cancel or go forward. Also there are contracts involved with hotels, other sites, catering companies etc. Those have dates by which you need to cancel without penalties. Even at that, most of the contracts were not cancelled, they are delayed 2 years so the loss of money for the club was mitigated. Again can be explained in detail buy your local people.

This was not a choice done haphazardly. Their hand was forced by a situation out of the clubs control and was done at the last chance they had to avoid needless loss of money. The prior years event was delayed for 2 years due to covid as well. It was felt missing 2 years in a row was not in anyone's interest. Florida has a good venue and was capable of being ready on short notice as well as having a very high probability of restrictions not interfering. It made sense and the people making it happen in Florida deserve to be thanked for doing it on such notice.