Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Same here.

In spite of all the flaws of its organisation, F1 has still my interest.

But I sure wish they could clean up their act !

Boomhauer, SimCity3 and Senna1994 like this.
  2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Binotto can start rehearsing some excuses for next year if his cars aren't on the front row !

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is good reason to believe the new aero rules have tilted the advantage from MB to RB--mostly from the cutout on the rear of the floor.

Senna1994 likes this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes I realise that but the point of the conversation is that the FIA know full well what power output is via other sensors, so any mysterious increase would be detected anyway.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  5. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    At this point I wouldn't mind if Ferrari left F1 to concentrate on other projects like WEC and Indy.

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    We haven't won a championship in over 12 yrs, who cares about a single race? I'm looking forward to the RB vs Merc battle this season though!

Boomhauer, Jeronimo GTO, Bas and 5 others like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ferrari can renew with endurance and join the WEC as it indends to, but Indycar is out of bounds since it's a specs series as it stands now.

F1 is too prestigious for them to give up that easily, but they have to do better.

Boomhauer, Sharknose and Senna1994 like this.
  8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly!

9. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Porsche is doing well by racing in "inferior" series. Ferrari could do the same.

SimCity3 likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am a huge Porsche fan, so I will agree with you !

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Bottom line: F1 is a business, mixed with politics.

Agendas are contingent on who chairs it during any given era.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I am a big fan of Porsche, I just wish they made a car I wanted to be seen inside. The inverted bathtub remains so 1950s.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But that look is what makes it attractive to me: I like continuity in design.

After the 356, the 911 shape is Porsche trademark, as seen on Cayman, Taycan, Panamera, etc ...

That and the flat 4 or 6 engine of course, mostly in a rear position, I love it!

Porsche has mastered with succes some technologies that others have given up long time ago.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Winning a single race isn’t so exciting for the fans however is great for the team and it’s morale.

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Both Mercedes and 2 other team voiced this opinion in the working group. The dis-advantage to the low rake was a touch obvious they have stated.

16. DF1

Ferrari are hoping for improvement for next year with new regs. Im a bit amazed how little that matters in this thread. More than Binotto have stated Ferrari are not at all focused for this year. It is known.

We have a good season it appears with other teams. Hope we are somehow surprised with some good Ferrari results no matter.

Senna1994 and crinoid like this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yet they remained completely silent on this subject until Bahrain. They are digging for excuses.

Senna1994 likes this.
  18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Hearing "We will try next year" gets really old when it is said year after year. We are ONE race in and they've already given up. These people are an embarrassment.

Boomhauer, Hocakes and william like this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They already said it last year, before the season started.

Come on, don´t be naive, this season is just a filler with old cars, caused by the corona thing. I´d be disappointed if they said that they´d trying hard this year: that would be being short sighted and a waste of time and money. Ultimately, the timing got terribly bad for Ferrari, with the engine penalty, the factory shut down and the delay of the new regs all together, but it´s what it is.

kes7u, 375+, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. DF1

Excellent summary! This year anamoly!

21. DF1

Appears waiting till after race-1 provided some proof of the affect. Rational.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Either the effect is obvious as the rules are drawn up, or it's simply the excuse they give now that they're not as fast as they hoped to be.

Proper (ex) F1 race designers well before the season started had no clue what would be better. It's simply not as clear cut as Aston Martin/Mercedes say it suddenly is.

They all had tokens to spend. Mercedes started their 2021 car back in August last year. If it was THAT clear cut, why are they not running a high rake?

It's utter ********. Utter, utter ********.

One of the biggest reasons why Red Bull is now competitive with them is because of their new engine, it's compactness and it's got decent power. Compare the Red Bull rear vs Mercedes. The work that went in all that is insane. Throwing it all on ''oh well the rules drawn up are against us'' is just pure ******** and it diminishes the work Red Bull and Honda have put in.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  23. DF1

Call Mercedes and Aston and tell their engineers and analysts they should hire you lol. Its not rocket science but is science. Testing showed that RedBull had developed well. No one is saying they DID NOT! They have a nice motor and aero package and wisdom in the paddock believes the rules did help them. WOW a first for F1????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Low-rake F1 teams warned of rules impact last year
    By: Adam Cooper
    Apr 1, 2021, 10:43 AM
    Aston Martin team principal Otmar Szafnauer says that Formula 1 teams following the low-rake route cautioned last year that they would lose out under the FIA's 2021 aero regulation changes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Szafnauer has blamed the rule tweaks for the team's loss of competitiveness since the end of last season, when - as Racing Point - it was a regular podium challenger and took victory in the Sakhir Grand Prix.

Racing Point followed the Mercedes low-rake concept for its 2020 car and was committed to it for 2021 due to the chassis freeze and token system, which limited changes over the winter.

The FIA introduced a package of aero changes, notably involving the floor ahead of the rear wheels, in order to trim downforce levels for this season.

Szafnauer believes that the new rules disadvantaged the low-rake runners more than the teams that follow the high-rake concept.

Mercedes bounced back from a poor test to win last weekend's Bahrain GP, but the Brackley-based team has clearly lost any advantage it had over main rival Red Bull in 2020.

Aston Martin struggled for pace throughout, and could manage only a 10th place finish through Lance Stroll.

"I'm not a conspiracy theorist," said Szafnauer. "But it was pointed out last year by the low-rake runners, that this would have a bigger effect than on the high-rake runners.

"And we were correct. At the time, the regulations were being made this was pointed out."

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Lance Stroll, Aston Martin AMR21

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

Szafnauer denied the suggestion that the teams had voted unanimously to support the regulation changes.

"No. Number one, there was never a vote," he said. "Number two, there was an indicative vote. So that was just at the technical under committee [working group], that all the technical directors had to have an indicative vote, and three teams voted against it.

"You've got to remember only two teams have a low-rake concept. So even one of the high-rake teams voted against it. So nowhere near unanimity. And it wouldn't have even passed on the eight out of 10 rule. Because three voted against."

Read Also:
    Regarding the team's current form, he added: "In race conditions we were a bit more competitive than we were over one lap.

"But compared to where we were just a few months ago here, before the regulation change I mean, we've got a lot of a lot of work to do."

Boomhauer and william like this.
  24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    "Racing Point followed the Mercedes low-rake concept for its 2020 car"

Made me chuckle! I guess that's one way to put it!o_O

Kevin

stavura, Bas, crinoid and 3 others like this.
  25. DF1

LOL - good one! :)

ingegnere and kes7u like this.