First Saturday drive in the FF with an ominous ending... | FerrariChat

First Saturday drive in the FF with an ominous ending...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Dfmontaz, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Oh boy .... had a weird experience with FF this morning. Ran it a little while to warm engine up. Did a quick little run to 90 mph in race mode which was totally exhilarating. Got to a stop sign and the engine went to neutral and then turned off. I turned it right back on no issues but then started to run rough on low rpm and was “bouncing” in low RPM range real rough. Turned it off in the garage to let it cool down and research before driving any further. No check engine lights either...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Way2fast likes this.
  2. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Sounds expensive! Hope it was just a dumb battery thing but yikes that doesn’t sound good...speed sensor?

3. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Good way to test the 9 months of CPO ... I knew something like this was possible but was hoping for beyond the honeymoon. My F355 is now in pieces too after a couple weeks of honeymoon. Not having the best luck x2

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's a battery thing, I had something similar happen to me a few times when I had just gotten the car delivered

Bundy and Dfmontaz like this.
  5. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    I was wondering about that but it’s so weird as the car starts and it’s only after a little drive ... wouldn’t it have a hard time starting? Do you guys tender your car every night even if you drive it 3 or 4 times a week?

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have the dealer or independent shop test the battery- a tender can find some types of faults but not all. If you have bad cells the battery will behave like normal at times and not normal at others.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Tender it every single day. Always, 24/7/365.

Marcel Massini

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

My car is on tender 24/7. Just like I’d plug an iPhone, I plug the car after every drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcel Massini likes this.
  9. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    How old was your battery? Did you replace?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    I’m assuming with a new battery you can take a long weekend trip somewhere without plugging in?? I mean...its not a hybrid!!! Noted that it should stay connected when possible...but I have to imagine we can get these cars out into the frontier for a few days without a plug....Otherwise I’ll have to think about swapping the V12 into my Ford Raptor.

11. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Decided to take it to Ferrari since its CPO and have it all looked at and start building my relationships there...stay tuned!!

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yeah it’s not a hybrid but for instance if I don’t plug it in trunk only opens by opening 3 times with the key the drivers door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Generally:
    The batteries in these cars are the cheapest on the planet, of really poor quality. That's unfortunate but the reality.
    Just plug in every single day, wherever you are. As somebody else said, like your iphone.
    Nothing to do with CPO or not. Search on fchat, there are plenty of other threads about the same problem. No matter if FF or F12 or 812 SF etc.
    These cars have so much electronic stuff they eat up batteries quickly. And the tender is only good for maintaining a certain minimum level, it does not actually load the battery.

Marcel Massini

Bundy and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Having fitted a premium battery to my FF and seen it go south in less than two years, I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem is the heat in the engine bay.

I have a CTEK battery monitor which also gives me the temperature where it is mounted on top of the battery and it is regularly above 40c and will peak at 60c after shutdown as there’s no airflow and the engine is heat soaked.

Google tells me this;

“As a guideline, each 8°C (15°F) rise in temperature cuts the life of a sealed lead acid battery in half. This means that a VRLA battery for stationary applications specified to last for 10 years at 25°C (77°F) would only live 5 years if continuously exposed to 33°C (92°F) and 30 months if kept at a constant desert temperature of 41°C (106°F). Once the battery is damaged by heat, the capacity cannot be restored.”

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    sounds like battery

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Problems are the super cheap and lousy batteries.
    I needed about four brand new batteries within less than five years, on various V12 Ferraris. All under waranty.
    You get used to it.

Marcel Massini

17. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
  18. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Best explanation I have seen on battery life. Thank you

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

FerRrari and ANOpax like this.
  19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Always plug in. I can only go one night without charger

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I don't know how old the battery was when I received the car, but I did have it replaced by Ferrari of Houston

I don't use a tender after everytime I drive the vehicle these days, I live in an apartment complex and I don't have outlets where I park

I'll be moving soon, hopefully things will change, even if they don't - I haven't had much electrical issues with my car. I guess as long as I drive it once or twice a week I'm good (around 100 to 200 miles a week)

I drive about 10k miles a year, split about equally between my FF and RC-F TE

I looked into lithium batteries but I couldn't get a clear idea of how to jump a car with a lithium battery. The guys on the RCF and ISF forums have nothing but good things to say about Antigravity, however the Pista guys (I think) had an issue with Antigravity because of the HELE connector

Dfmontaz likes this.
  21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Is there a heat shield for the battery?

22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Agreed with plugging in the tender basically any time the car’s not on the road or in my wash bay. I had a new battery fitted to my car during the PPI so I could avoid some of the electrical weirdness I’ve read about. At $300 installed, it was worth it and I don’t have to worry about it for a long while. That said, whenever I will travel with the car, I’m taking the CTEK and a 100’ extension cord.

Dfmontaz likes this.
  23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes there is a heat shield but the temperature readings from my CTEK monitor tell you that even with it fitted, the environmental temperature at the battery is still too high.

24. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    With the orignal Ferrari battery I could maybe have the car standing say 7-10 days, and it would start, however I would also get a few electric funny messages (the well known ones like cooling turned on in driver seat, or heat turned on in driver seat...).

Got a new Varta about a year ago, and now it will make it 14 days (I hurt my right lung a while back, and well I did not plan to test standing without charging however it turned out this way....) with less problems and it will for sure start. That never worked with the original battery!

25. Dfmontaz

Dfmontaz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Good to know! Thank you all for all this great feedback.