Found a Rolex years ago. What to do with it now? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Found a Rolex years ago. What to do with it now?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by JayO, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MichaelFerrari

Nov 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Fiumara
    Here’s an easy way to see if it’s on a stolen list... report it stolen to a dealer and they’ll more than likely tell you if the serial number was a fake or already a stolen watch. Then if it all checks out, you can say you found it and take it off the list.

2. RC-BB

RC-BB Rookie

Jan 13, 2015
    It's a Real Daytona, it's white gold, so should be heavy, it's the correct dial, earlier Daytona's have the dial like this one. Take the strap off and the serial number should be visible on the case.

3. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thank you. I know it's real. I've just stopped responding to people jumping in here and saying it's fake based off one picture I posted. It is white gold, it has the correct movement inside, it has a correct s/n in the correct spot, etc.

carnutdallas and JL350 like this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Why would a replica put a Chrono on the wrong place? So you can spot it?? It is not the purpose of a replica to look like an original??
    The zenith movement (pre 2000) had those chronos just like OPs
    I can’t say if that watch is real or not based on those 2 pictures but the position of the chronos has nothing to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    "jumping in" ??? Isn't this the reason you started this thread? For opinions based on you photograph. Poor as is may be, It is obvious the digits aren't lined up and the 1 fell off the 3 o'clock position. How do you know it's the correct movement? Did someone crack it open and inspect it? Did they record the inner serial # for you? This procedure shouldnt be done by your neighborhood watch repair guy.

QtrItalian likes this.
  6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    They keep track of lost / stolen pieces.

True....if you took it to Rolex for service you would find out, they are supposed to be serviced every 5 years anyway.

I have always serviced every watch I've sold...better you find out before you sell.

7. Ferrari_Newbie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Newbie
    I’m glad you got it checked out. It certainly looks genuine to me, from someone who owns two of similar pieces of Daytonas. One in white gold and another in yellow gold, both of which with leather straps. They don’t make these anymore. It is somewhat laughable what some have posted in pictures as comparison as they clearly don’t own any or know their Daytonas well enough.

8. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Because the exact movements are much more expensive and complex to replicate. Most replicas use cheap Chinese movements. Better replicas do use Swiss eta movements, but even those are different than the in-house Rolex movements.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    pfft.... I just look at my phone to tell what time it is :p

Jedi

10. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    I had a Rolex stolen from a hotel room in Spa in Belgium in 2015 - a GMT Master II - and I have reported the theft to Rolex with the serial number. It doesn't belong to me anymore as I claimed on my insurance but my understanding is that if the watch is ever presented for service in the Rolex network, they will know. As for your watch, has it ever been back to Rolex for service? A Daytona should be serviced at least every 7 years.

11. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    There's another parameter to check, Do the diamonds on the face have fluorescence? If they do then they are real and also not lab-created. If not they still can be real but a positive test for fluorescence helps to substantiate the dial may be real. Just another thought for this watch or people looking at others in the future.
    - Dan.

Pis7a2020 and tuttebenne like this.
  12. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    There is a real Blue Chrono on Chrono 24 for 50 thousand clams. Yours just doesn't look that crisp. But yes, please take it in and finish this story. Treasure hunt!!

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No that's not what matters. What matters is that the OP make a legitimate attempt at returning this watch back to its owner. If you lost a Rolex, would you care about getting it back or would you care about the founder of your lost watch verifying whether or not it's a real Rolex.

EastMemphis and alex like this.
  14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can't believe what I'm reading here. Is this a forum with sophisticated, Ferrari owning gentleman, or a cons-r-us forum.

Send the damn watch to Rolex and have them get it back to the owner. I know it could be far too late for that, but I meant at the time it was found.

Radu likes this.
  15. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    First thing to do is to see if it's real. Then think about what to do next. That's what Police do.

16. GordonX

GordonX Karting

Mar 10, 2013
    South Florida
    I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I had someone else's property and made no legitimate attempt to return it to them. It's bad karma and I don't need the money that bad. Rolex has a record of the owner.

AceMaster, Radu, EastMemphis and 2 others like this.
  17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Years ago I found a GoPro while scuba diving in Mexico. When I got home I contacted GoPro and they said it was bought at a retailer but it was never registered, keep it and enjoy it. It still bothered me so eventually I gave it to the Salvation Army.

18. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Rolex has a record? What's the rest of the story?

19. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I can't understand how someone can find something potentially valuable and not take it to the nearest police station. Because, you know, when someone loses something of value, they normally report it to the police in case someone finds it. I've done that myself a few times.

Now, 20 years have passed, and the OP was not who originally found the watch. I get that. But now: why don't you just do the right thing? Send it to Rolex for service. If it goes back to the original owner, imagine how incredibly happy he will be. If it comes back to you, so be it. And, in any case, you will know you are doing the right thing.

sainthoo, AceMaster, Radu and 2 others like this.
  20. decal21x

decal21x Rookie

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Schoenherr
    Rolex will keep it if it’s on the list, but if not, they will get you on the list and return it to you if you lose it. And fix you 15.

21. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    It is indeed not a real Rolex from the photo posted.
    The "30" dial marking is not centered on the sub-dial above it correctly. A real Rolex never has that obvious a flaw.

22. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think some of you are missing the post where I had the Rolex AD inspect and open the watch, and it is in fact a real Daytona.

23. jeronimosa

jeronimosa Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    jerome ingenhoes
    take it to a watchmaker who is non rolex related... he can tell you straight away if it is fake or not and check the serial no plus
    model no. which you then can google !

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Did you READ the post immediately before yours? :rolleyes:

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You know, people, it would REALLY help if you would read the whole thread before replying, instead of replying to a post on the first page from 3 months ago. We're way past "it's not a real Rolex"; MalibuGuy and Pis7a2020 were both mistaken when they posted all about the wrong sub-dials, apparently not being aware of the differences between the Zenith and in-house movements, etc etc etc.