TPMS: 2008 Maserati Granturismo 4.2L | FerrariChat

TPMS: 2008 Maserati Granturismo 4.2L

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Drock28, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    hi there, hope all is well.

decided to inquire here, since I cant be bothered to create a profile in ************ just to ask this.

I have a 2008 GT, bought it Oct 2019. love the car. in many ways more then my F355.

just took the car out of storage from my friend warehouse yesterday. time in storage ~5months.
    before starting car, I checked the pressure of each tire manually with gauge.
    the front right was low ~8psi, which I suspected, as I would have to add air to this tire once in a while during the season. other tires were ok, within ~2-3psi.

started the car, and tire pressure warning came on, with tire icon staying on. no problem make sense.

I pushed the calibration button up top, as I still wanted to see the PSI display. it did its thing.
    started to drive, and pushed the mode button, to scroll to get PSI display, and it wouldn't appear at all, it just skipped that screen. this was first time it did this.

drove a few kms, and pulled over at a station. put pressure on all tires to 35psi.
    turned car back on, and the tire icon went off on its own, I didn't touch anything.

pressed the calibration button again and drove off.

tire icon is off and I have no error messages. I understand there can be error messages such as:
    TPMS disabled, TPMS malfunction etc.. I have none of that.

after about 10kms of highway driving, I scrolled through to get PSI display. it appeared correctly this time.
    but there was no PSI readings in any corner.

I understand it can take some time. tried again a few minutes later, still no readings.
    by the time I got home was about 25kms, still no PSI readings in the display. no error messages and tire icon still off.

prior to storage Nov 2020, the PSI display worked all the time, showing readings in each corner.

so I read the sensors actually have batteries, so I am thinking could be that. as well I have no idea if/when the sensors or batteries were changes last.
    or maybe it just has to be driven more.. which I will be today. but I don't recall it taking this long to pick up readings after doing the calibration.

so just looking or some feedback, since what I've read in the forums, nothing is what im experiencing.

most all say, they have TMPS disabled or malfunction, which I don't have that.

thanks.

2. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    spoke too soon.

PSI readings came up today on more lengthily drive.

thanks anyways.

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Glad it seems to have worked out for you. One of our cars is a 2011 Gran Turismo Convertible and had to have the TPMS sensors replaced last year. I think the batteries are expected to last around eight years so got just about ten years from them. Got a TPMS malfunction and no amount of driving would get it to re-calibrate over a three month time period. Dealer confirmed dead batteries quoted $1200 to replace all four sensors. I've read of people doing the replacement for significantly less on their own.

I've also had to re-calibrate a few times over the years and it was easily a 20+ minute drive to get the calibration working. About six months ago I lost the TPMS screen on my 2014 458 Spider and expected the same failure, but the screen came back a day later and has worked correctly since.

Rob

4. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    thanks for the feedback..

not sure why my first post blanked it out.. I meant didn't want to create login to "Maserati life", just to ask this

indeed when the PSI screen/display was not even showing I thought that was weird.

I inquired with FormulaDynamics, before the PSI started to read again. I think their TPMS sensor kit was ~$500
    I thought I read somewhere the batteries could be replaced, but I don't believe they can..

my car is a 2008, so I'd assume the sensors were changed at some point in last few years before I bought it.