F355 F1 Gearbox | FerrariChat

F355 F1 Gearbox

Discussion in '348/355' started by margarita, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Hello guys i have a cuestion ,when you stop in a light is better to take the foot out of the brake so the car goles to N or i can leave the foot on the brake ? What is better for the cluctch to not sufer,thank you

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    When at a stop I pull both paddles which selects neutral. While foot is on the brake.

phrogs likes this.
  3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Drive it like you would a manual. I would pull both paddles and slip into neutral as I came to a stop.

phrogs likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Thankyou very much guys

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think the most important part for saving clutch life that some people I've seen not do is the 1st gear roll out...feather the throttle like you would a regular manual and once it's engaged you can giver the beans and basically shift without lifting. If you just start accelerating aggressively you're burning an unnecessary amount of clutch.

If you want to gun it out the gate then learn the launch procedure...I believe it's called "Race Start" in the manual. It basically dumps the clutch for you.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Backing uphill is very bad unless you use the stabbing The fuel pedal method.
    Even backing up in general is harder on it..

8. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    A problem has come up with the F1 transmission. Starting the engine the failed light in the left corner of the display comes on and stays on. The can is in neutral and will not shift gears. Checking all the identified areas that may affect this showed a lower fluid in the reservoir. Filling it to the max level did not help, but pushing the "low friction" button on the console causes the light to go out and you can change gears. Also the .hydraulic control unit light comes on at the dash. This light sometimes turns off. According to the shop manual the hydraulics interfaces to the transmission control unit. The question is how to diagnosis this problem. i have not seen this discussed previously.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    So disabling traction control allows you to shift?

That's an odd one...perhaps speed sensor related?

10. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Disabling traction control does not always turn out the F1 light. Still tryng to diagnose the problem. The F1 was working fine for several months and then the F1 light came on. Now turning the battery off and try again.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Can you explained what happened
    Were you driving
    Can you hear it shift
    Does the pump run when you turn ignition on
    More info would help when it first happened.

be careful not too overfill filling to the max line will sometimes cause this but that will not prevent it from working it will just spill out cap

12. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Found the answer to my problem. The hoses to the reservoir starting leaking very slowly at first then dripping later on. When checking them, the clamps felt tight and no visible leaks. Checking the hoses a week later there were drips on the ground. Tightening the clamps further stops the leaks.

Qavion likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    When you said lower fluid I did not realize it was so empty that it would not shift
    Or
    I don’t understand which hoses to the reservoir you mean
    I think you mean that allows oil to get to the pump but not sure

14. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Ralph
    That was the hoses I thought but I don’t think those are high pressure. if this cured your problem I believe you were just low on oil
    The high pressure hoses run to the actuator down on the transmission
    There is some pressure but not much to these hoses on the return side. The feed side is just gravity as far as I know
    Maybe if something is not working quite right they could see pressure however I have never seen that

mostly glad it fixed your problem

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I'm never buying a 355F1. The software required for this thing is not accessible by mere mortal DIY and sometimes not even shops have it anymore. The guessing game is just too inaccurate. At least the 360 F1 (after a TCU firmware update) will talk to a a cheap scanner.

17. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    At this point seepage of the rubber lines required hard tightening of the clamps. Also the pressure switch and one of the relays could be at fault. Still investigating.

18. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Bladder is shot...?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f1-accumulator-bulb-replacement-procedure.555260/

19. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The 360 F1 computer will talk to a cheap scanner? Tell us how that works......

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    After updating to the Challenge Stradale firmware, the 360F1 will fully communicate with OBD2 scanner like Launch X431 for all the F1 functions including error codes, live data, and activations of special functions. It was the only way I was able to solve the recent F1 issue on a 360CS. The Launch X431 also works with all other makes of automobiles out there.

21. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    This firmware upgrade work on a non challenge 360 F1 car?

Can you set PIS?

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    When I slip into neutral with a manual car I also release the clutch.

Would an F1 car not keep the throwout depressed/clutch disengaged in neutral? I would think it would want to be ready for gear selection.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes and Yes.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The F1 gearbox pushes the TO bearing all the way up against the pressure plate right at the point of initial slippage even in neutral.

25. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Interesting. The 355 and 360 systems are nearly identical....wonder if that change can be applied ot the 355 system.