Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) . | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) .

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ray Smith, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    what do you mean, it "maybe significantly more" do you people actually believe yourselves? 125 mile discreptency and making a big deal out of it? its OBVIOUS ITS A TYPO , happens all the time, you just call carfax and they fix it..

OP is just a whiner...probably a nightmare to deal with as a client....125 miles ..lol, ya a well respected franchise ferrari dealer will roll back odometer 125 miles lol

2. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I ran a deep search on the VIN (not carfax, auto check etc) and saw odometer warning which led me here.
    I always thought once at this level we would be gentleman... like “pickup your ball” if it’s a 2-foot putt. Just be honest!

anunakki likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    ON ONE RECORD WHERE THE MILEAGE IS VISIBLE, the discrepancy is 125 miles. On other records, where information is redacted, the mileage discrepancy may be more. It is not obvious to me it is a typo. All the redacting seems to indicate that the dealer is hiding more issues.

Stop screaming and read the posts carefully. Apply critical thinking. Then shut up. Let the grownups do the talking.

4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Zach, sorry, I did read the posts carefully and my overall conclusion is the real issue is the dealer wouldn’t give the OP the prior records and that is the source of all of the potential “made up” concerns (and although it wasn’t mentioned, I think the OP probably should also be concerned that space aliens drove his car and the dealer certainly failed to disclose that as well). So I don't agree with your conclusions and I suspect on balance Tarek307 has it right.

However, we don't really know and so lets apply critical thinking, as you suggest, and give the OP the benefit of the doubt. If that is the case then mcavinder has it right and why the heck would anyone want to buy the OP’s car with so many potential problems?

Kind of a catch 22 for the OP dont you think? ;)

Nospinzone likes this.
  5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    RonH, you are quite right about the catch 22--if everyone thought exactly like the OP. I don't. I don't put protective film, I drive in the rain, I don't care about dings. Life's too short. As for the ticking time bomb serious mechanical issues, I would simply address them. Either do the required maintenance, or set money aside for when it goes bang, and then get it fixed. I really am not the kind to go around having a bad day and insisting everyone join me in wallowing in it.

I do think the OP is quite right to expose the dealer's pettiness with the cover. And if anything beyond the previous owners' identity is hidden in the service records, that would be a huge red flag to me. I do want to know as much as possible about the car so I can make an informed decision on the risk-reward.

So, what I get from this thread is, don't do business with Ferrari of Newport Beach, they are dishonest crooks. And if you want to buy OP's car, start at 12 cents on the dollar. :D

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ray Smith said:
    Well, the good news is that F-Chat is not as busy as some other on-line forums. So very few will ever see the "story".

Ray

As they say, karma is a female dog.

And yea, there are busier online forums, but not devoted to all things Ferrari. :D

RonH likes this.
  7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Sorry, Zack. Again I disagree with you and it certainly appears you are not following your own advice of applying critical thinking. The whole roll back argument is silly and, if you apply critical thinking as you suggest, Tarek307 probably has it right.

But where you really fall down is saying the dealer are “dishonest crooks”. There is absolutely no basis for that conclusion from the thread other than what the OP says (and if you apply critical thinking you would be suspicious of what the OP is saying for the stated reasons). There are also lots of people in the thread, myself included, that have real live experience with this particular dealer saying they are not crooks. So if you followed your own advice and applied critical thinking, you would recognize you came to the wrong conclusion.

Zack, you can obviously do what you want to do in your own personal car buying but I would say that it is very unfair to make such an obviously libelous statement about a business where people are trying to make a living. Hopefully people reading this thread will use common sense and see that there is little or no basis for yours or the OPs statements and recognize that, in fact, there a lot of statements to the contrary in the thread by people who actually have real live experience with the dealer.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The OP tried to sell you his car without disclosing this thread and his issues with the car? The OP is still active on Fchat and on the 430 forum today. Either the OP is not honest, or you have made that up. (No offence intended, that’s the two possibilities). It’s strange that the OP hasn’t reacted to this quite serious accusation while still being active on the 430 forum.

anunakki likes this.
  9. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed. Where is he?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

anunakki likes this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Is it a good car? Isn’t that what matters?

In the end the price reflects the uncertainty but we are not talking about 10k miles right?

Someone give me a clue?

Sell the car, disclose the uncertainty and move on.

11. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ask the owner... bet you can snag it for less than $124,995 now. I wouldn’t touch it for $80k. Character takes a lifetime to build and can be lost in a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IloveGT likes this.
  12. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I feel like this 430 didn’t really have a ‘story’, but now has a very long one as a direct result of this thread and the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    OP bought a used car. Ferrari, Rolls Royce or Yugo...its a used car...period.
    No dealership of any variety is going to provide previous service records...its just not done
    Arrange to have the vehicle inspected by an educated non-partisan party.
    Either accept that fact that you aren't getting any previous history, do your homework and make a decision to buy or not to buy.
    My experience in over 42 years in the automotive repair business.
    Oh and if you have concerns don't air them in a public forum read by people worldwide. Perhaps we don't have as much activity as the Corvette forums and Lexus chat, however, those that are Ferrari buyers do come here for information. Shoulda kept your yap shut.

JAM1 and WATSON like this.
  14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    You really think a Ferrari dealer rolled back an odometer?

Private, you are something special.

Might be best for you to stick with Corvette's going forward.....The Ferrari world seems to be a bit much for you.

Wow.

anunakki, Flea7, 020147 and 3 others like this.
  15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t blame FoNPB. In fact, I applaud their judgement as you don’t seem all that bright if you believe a franchised Ferrari dealer would roll back a hundred miles on an odometer nor do you seem all that stable considering what you’ve said subsequently about the car, brand, and or dealership et all. I wouldn’t have shared any private details of the prior owner either!

This is the most ironic part of your diatribe considering you intentionally withheld your concerns when trying to shift the car to a new owner. Unreal.

furmano, anunakki, Flea7 and 4 others like this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    In Europe you can get previous service records from selling dealers. I have bought Ferraris from dealerships in Barcelona, Rome and the UK and in all cases they have hunted down and secured missing service history paperwork, from up to 10 years prior, at my request. One salesman made a physical journey to his head office to retrieve and print paperwork held on a database there, pertaining to service and manifold/header replacement on my 430.

It did take some persuasion in some cases but always happened. The same for my 911s. A lot of owners have done the same. I like having a very detailed service history, although not all owners do.

Ray Smith likes this.
  17. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Fair enough, however, I'm sure your approach may have been different than the OP. As I've only worked in North America my experience has been, unless the previous owner left their copies of service records with the vehicle (which does happen) that information isn't available. It's why I always suggest a 3rd party inspection by an arms length party. As I've always told clients "I'd rather see the vehicle before you purchase it, than console you later".

alex, Themaven and steved033 like this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'll buy your car Ray. 0 down, 10 years at 0%, $3000 cash back, and you have to paint it structural blue.

sjd

Ryan S., anunakki, Cigarzman and 3 others like this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Guess the OP is still reading this thread ...just drop it off at CNC ,job done..

Cigarzman, arizonaitalian and RonH like this.
  20. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    WATSON and 19633500GT like this.
  21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    only found this thread now. Someone cue the "twilight zone" theme please...

WTF is going on here?

Reneged on a discounted car cover and accessories went missing? Those bastaches (anyone that has bought more than 1 used ferrari has likely ran into something missing in that regard, heck the entire space saver spare set "went missing" at a dealership between photos and sale on my CS)

125-mile discrepancy on a service record vs registration event? That never happens (said nobody)

No service records on a used exotic car and/or they won't give them to me? Join the very large club of buyers in that regard.

Sad that a dealer could get their name dragged thru the mud for these "offenses". But then my guess is 90%+ of readers here know who's reputation is actually getting dinged here...

The real victim is that poor little F430...accused of crimes that it likely never committed (who buys a car without service records and immediately presumes the worst wrt needed repair/replacement?)

Honestly...pure twilight zone here.

furmano, anunakki, Flea7 and 3 others like this.
  22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Isn’t it interesting what you find on the internet. Here is the OP posting on the Corvette Forum website about the F430 that he bought from Ferrari of Newport Beach (Scroll down. It is post #580 on page 29.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4431008-serious-problem-hood-opened-at-30mph.html

Note he is complaining about the Chevy dealership in the thread (consistent theme here?) and says about the new 430: the “car is pristine”. “The rich guy who owned it never drove it but did have it serviced regularly”.

For those of you that cannot access the thread, here it is:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Pure F****** gold

Adamas and Thecadster like this.
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
  25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    ^^^ LoL ^^^

anunakki, 020147 and Thecadster like this.