The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SoCal to az, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ok - rewatched the video and I think I get it. It just seemed like he did a loop but then I think he is starting at a whole new spot when entering the tunnel. I think.

The projector thing is cool but it would get old real quick I think. Probably makes more sense in an industrial setting. The floors and lighting are cool and similar to what I’m aiming for.

2. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Fantastic design; looks stunning!

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Spider68 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Looks amazing. You must be stoked!

I built my dream house two years ago. Designed all from scratch, hired all the contractors and orchestrated the whole project from start to end. What a great journey it was.

Most important thing is to have the designs and plans right. All designs must be finished and cross-checked/referenced with each other before anything is built. This is the main key. Use time to do this right.

Second is to hire the right contractors. Ask around for references. Trust people who know more than you. Listen and learn. The right guys working will save you ton of money and stress.

Third thing is that you have to be on top of everything, all the time. You must know the answers to everything concerning your project. Know who does what, when and how. It's your house and you care the most about it. So you should oversee the building of it.

Good luck along the way! Nothing is more sarisfying than to sit in your castle when all is done! It's priceless. Worth it all.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I would suggest some base board lighting or something along those lines. Bringing some light closer to the ground would be good as your lights are all 2 stories up. I figure you probably don't want anything hanging down, so hanging lights closer down probably isn't an option.

What you use for the floor will also come in to play. Depending how reflective it is will change how bright the room is as well.

Congrats on the new house though. Looks pretty sweet! I also love the golfing and racing simulator in your office. Do you know which golf sim you're planning on going with?

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Great suggestions Mikael. I agree with all the suggestions. this is our 4th house that we are building with our contractor so all your suggestions are spot on. I will do my best to keep this thread updated.

readplays and Mikael-F360 like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Good call on the baseboard lighting. We are adding some lighting that didnt get captured in the render as per post #14. Some LED strips down below. Flooring will be tile- not sure which color -likely gray but open to suggestions as well on that. Ive requested a second rendering with some modifications. I will post it.

SeattleStew likes this.
  9. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Not sure what brand or specific type of tile, but I've seen dealerships and other shops use a tile that looks to be pretty durable and have decent reflective properties. Appears to be like a standard ceramic tile, but I'd imagine it has a good load rating as well as be fairly impact resistant.

I'd recommend getting a bunch of samples of tiles you like and checking them against a light to see how they reflect it.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    https://autostoneusa.com

Narrowing it down- have time but the above is an option.

11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I bet this is what I’ve seen. I can ask a guy I know with a shop who’s got tile in it. 20+ Bay shop with a lot of traffic, so it would be more than capable of home parking/display.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  13. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    AD211 and Jaguar36 like this.
  14. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Bottom has better lighting. I think you’ll be more pleased with it at night when displaying your cars.

15. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The second photo provides a more "definitive" line between the upper and lower portions of the room. Having the white on the upper portion of the wall will also visually lesson the height of the garage. It also brightness the entire structure. The lights under the mezzanine is better as they look less "random" in terms of placement and provides a cleaner look. If you go with the second rendering, I would be tempted to put a picture by the left window to draw your eye upward. The other option for picture #2 is extend the gray wall covering up to the ceiling yet leave the other wall by the steps as is.

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good suggestions. One other concept I want to explore is the second photo with white floors. Gray on the walls half way up, white on top with a white tile/slab floor. Picture up top is a great suggestion but what might look better is an actual car mounted on the wall. Ive seen like F1 replicas or F1 bodies- take that and mount it to the wall. More 3D than a picture.

SeattleStew and 338Lapua like this.
  17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It's interesting you mention white floors because I was thinking the same thing but didn't mention it. In my opinion, the white floors will make it more "formal" depending on the level of gloss.

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Someone mounted I believe a Lamborghini Countach on their wall. I've always wanted to mount a car on my wall, as some cars are like art. Anything light color floor wise will help with light. And it will always look very clean (if kept clean, obviously).

19. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I like the design that has the wood wall at the end. It adds warmth to a space that can feel cold with all the glass and stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think that might be a statement piece. Maybe not a full blown countach - but something big and substantial. I’ll start exploring option.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    To me that looked better when he initially by mistake put a wine cellar upstairs framed in wood where the golf sim was. That was a mistake and once we put the golf sim, the “warm and tropical” look felt out of place. Going for the more industrial look.

I’ll explore white floors with the current set up and see how it looks.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    SeattleStew likes this.
  23. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    That would be pretty awesome. Might want to check how heavy they are and if you’d need to engineer the wall for it

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yup. checking

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks like 28 grand and 750 pounds. That is for the full blown simulator. I bet there is a cheaper version. Ill keep looking as this is meant more for an actual racing simulator.