New to me 456GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New to me 456GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by renn20, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Keep in mind the 550/575 lights are wider at the base then on the end. My 550's are 145mm at the base and 125mm at the end. The visible lens is about 50mm deep. However the attachment base of the lights that screws in to the frame is a big piece that should be accounted for, that would add what looks to my eyeball about another 20-25mm or so of depth (can't measure accurately without taking the lights off).

2. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind. I will have to meet up with a few local guys to look at the light panel and contour from different models. Another owner suggested me to cut up a 355 light panel to fit. That could be a viable solution. Plus my car is black. It's easier to pull this off. It will hide the gap between the light panel and the body panel better. Which this gap already exists with the 1 piece 456 light.

3. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Get where you are going, would be interesting retrofit..... cost and complexity will be decision factors!

4. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I personally like the more modern look of the individual light appearance vs the stock.

I was thinking of trying to wrap the lights and play with how much of the light I want to be seen. I was also thinking if anyone is good with a 3d printer maybe a prototype lens cover could be made as a tester to experiment with.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    After driving the 456 some. The car feels relaxed(soft) to me. I never had a GT car before. Maybe this is the way it supposed to be. The H/S setting makes a difference. But even on H, the car is soft compare to a proper sports car.
    The 964 and 348 were more exciting. I also have a 996 at the moment. So in comparison, the 996 is still more exciting to drive.

I will drive the 456 more on different roads to assess it further.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's my 996, It's a stripper with only leather option. photo for fun.

white out and rhern213 like this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, they are GTs. Take her to your favorite driving road and press her a bit and see if you still feel the same way. A good ride does not necessarily mean bad handling. Make sure your rear shocks and accumulators are working well too and ride height is good.

Fennicus likes this.
  7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And take a 3 hr drive up some favorite highways. The 456 will reward you by not making you feel stiff or worn out. Just as comfortable and relaxed as when you started. That's what GTs do.

Fennicus, Il Tifoso and Mirek like this.
  8. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Yup that's the way it's supposed to be, my wife's reaction when we first drove the 550 was how it's the most comfortable sports car we've had. She compared it to a 2010 miata we owned, but with more interior space. Not my favorite comparison, lol, but that's from a non-car person's perspective.

9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Ain’t that the truth. We drove from LA to Santa Cruz and it was the most comfortable drive ever. The thing just devours miles and leaves you in great shape at the end of a very long drive. Somewhat difficult to describe but very easy to crush long distances without getting worn out at all.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rebuild the shocks, and get new bombs and it will stiffen up on the sport setting. Just about every 456 I have seen has leaking shocks and / or broken actuators.

13. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    The previous owner did a great job with the painted taillights. It's just not my thing. Before I polish the paint off the taillights. I am wondering if any black car owner looking to trade the unpainted taillights for the painted look. The trade should save both of us time. Otherwise, I will take on the project to restore them to the original color in June.

14. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @renn20 did you ever do anything with your taillights?

15. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    No, I haven't got a chance to mess around with it yet.

16. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Some update with my 456gt adventure. since my car is missing the original head unit. and a forum member that was selling the factory unit ghosted me after we agreed on a price. Not sure why, I've reached out a few times but not getting any reply back. The status shows he's active on the forum.

Anyway, I bought a different SONY unit from the same era.
    It's the xtc-c200rds if anyone interested.

Do anyone know a good place to fix the holes on my center console? There's a good 185mm x 65mm cut out on my center console. Or better yet, where can I buy a used center console? There's one available on ebay, it's broken and cost couple kidneys for its condition.

17. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    #67 renn20, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    white out likes this.
  18. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I actually installed a new alpine with Bluetooth calling and music streaming. By building a 10 pin cable and 3d printed faceplate mount I was able to mount radio body and faceplate in stock locations. Very clean install and has worked well for two plus years. I have pix in a prior thread and put up here on Fchat but if you want to try that route shoot me a PM and I can share more.

renn20 and Ryan S. like this.
  19. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    @Davidspop Did you make an adapter with the extension cable between the faceplate and the body? Your posts came up during my research. It would be great if you can share some detail image of the wiring. I'd like to follow the same route. Mounting the faceplate at the factory location and place the body of the unit in the trunk.

20. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Walmart $5. You need it to torque your filter to spec. That's right, must be torqued to exact spec. Too loose and it blows out, too tight and it won't come off right. Read the threads and watch out for Rifle Driver...

21. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I did, drop me an email at [email protected] and I can see if I have all my pix and wiring diagram, but the key is finding out what connectors are used on your radio then you find that one and order a few sets (male and female) and you just solder Connection to Connection.....took several hours but it was well worth it!

22. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    575 wheels look good