I need to touch up some very glossy black metal trim on a car. | FerrariChat

I need to touch up some very glossy black metal trim on a car.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The manufacturer, Lincoln, has no specification for the color. It looks to be just very black and quite glossy paint so I suspect it's got a heavy clear coat on it.

I have several lighter scratches that appear to be into the clear coat but I'm not terribly worried about those.

I have one pea sized chip that's right down to the metal & primer. That needs to be addressed ASAP.

So I'm think about a two part touch up kit with black & clear but I'm not sure which black to get.

Any ideas on where to start?

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I am also a BMW owner. The OEM BMW touch-up kit contains 2 spray cans - base color coat & clear coat. BMW has a OEM gloss black paint, code 668. This touch-up kit might work for you.

staatsof likes this.
  3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks I'm looking for a pen or brush in both. I saw a Mercedes kit as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Touch-Paint-Base-Clear-Coat/dp/B0775R87KP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=black+touch+up+paint+with+clear+coat&qid=1617209404&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/PAINTSCRATCH-Touch-Paint-Scratch-Repair/dp/B086JSG9QT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bmw+paint+touch+up+code+668&qid=1617216243&sr=8-6

These pens might work best on the clear coat scratches. The pea sized chip is quite deep.

I really would like an exact match as not all blacks are the same but neither Lincoln nor the dealership I called had any clues. I don't really have a regular paint shop I could try for help either.

4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    When I can't get the paint code, I go to my local NAPA to have them custom mix it; they even do touch-up paint sizes. But not every NAPA has paint capabilities, so you may have to look for an automotive PPG store

whatheheck likes this.
  5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Don't you have access to a body-shop that can manually mix a "cup" of paint. The guy who did all my car, will just have a look at the car and will steer a few cc of paint, adding a drop of yellow in order to match my ageing paint. By contrast if the paint is two complex and the tone can only be achieved through the colour match equipment, there is a minimum volume which makes the sample more expensive. This should not be necessary with a non metallic black.

If the shop owner is nice he will provide a slow hardener...

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In a word no. Paint shops will tell you to sod off if you ask around here. NY'ers typically aren't very nice folks. I'll be doing all of this myself and I've painted lots of things automotive as well as all the trim in my house with a spray gun. I just want a simple and quite small amount but apparently there's no specification for this so, at least not publicly from Lincoln. I'll just have to wing it ...

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #7 raemin, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    I agree that it depends on the relation you've got with the professional...

You may try dedicated automotive paint supply: "Automotive Art" is locally distributed in your area. Never tried them, but judging by their product line-up their colour-matching solutions are comprehensive and could meet the need of a DIYer.

As a last resort you can match the paint yourself: a black paint that has a visible tone variation is usually leaning toward blue or yellow(brown), by contrast a more "neutral" black is usually boosted with red. I would presume yours has a red cast (?). Assuming you are mixing paint in a coffee-cup size, a single drop of yellow / blue / red should be enough. You should also make the visual match under natural daylight as the outside light has a strong blue cast which highlights yellow errors.

If the above mentioned automotive paint is too much an expense for a touch up, I would try hobby grade paint for the base coat together with a proper automotive product for the final clear coat.

For the pea-sized chip, a small set of Tamiya putty filler and polishing compound will make your life much easier.

staatsof likes this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting idea the modeling putty. But I wonder how any of them will hold up under black paint baking in the hot summer sun????
    I've used a two part body filler called Icing on some magnesium alloy wheels I restored.

I also saw this stuff. It's more of a liquid. It might be quite tricky to fill just enough to skip any sanding of the filler.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=873 But will any of these hold up?

I'd like to avoid all sanding until just before the clear coat goes on and then afterwards to blend the repair. I'm not expecting this repair to be near invisible. It's also not a place that's easy to see, on the sunroof rail trim. I didn't spot it until AFTER I bought the car. One rarely spots everything and this car otherwise is very clean. I also have a BB sized depression in the nose of the hood that you have to be in just the right light to see. I may see if the paintless dent remover guys can take car of that or I may just leave it alone. This isn't a show car just a nice daily driver.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Gunze is actually the maker of Tamiya products. You'd better use the "Tamiya Basic Putty". This single part putty is "thick primer packaged in a toothpaste tube". The consistency and texture is similar to Nutella. Contains lots of lacquer based adhesive, does not crack, dries in 15 seconds, easy to sand. "perfect Bondo".

10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Nail polish

raemin likes this.
  11. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    . BMW also has an OEM set of 2 paint sticks for all their paint codes.

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The problem here is that paint do age, and there is an important colour drift. So even if you have the exact colour code, this will not be a proper match. Moreover nowadays paint will be water based, not solvent based so it's not going to be the "same" paint.

Mixing paint (or nail polish as suggested) is probably the way to go. Maybe a painter not necessarily from the automotive industry could also help.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Black nail polish kinky ... ;)

I wonder how well it would hold up? I could always just replace the black trim piece but it list for $465 so I think I'll try prep-prime-touchup route. I got this for application in the smaller spots. Never used one before ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login