Advise on mostly parked 612 before I buy | FerrariChat

Advise on mostly parked 612 before I buy

Discussion in '612/599' started by Dirty hands, Mar 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Well, I’m about to buy this 2005 612 with 6000 miles Last belt service done in 2011 with 3100 miles. Since then no service what so ever.

what to inspect and what to do after purchasing this beast.

thanks in advance guys.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    same as a car that was driven 200 miles a year etc...you might have to patch up some leaks but the car shld run fine and get better if you drive it.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im assuming you will get a major service done...a good PPI shld also reveal leaks when they inspect the undercarriage etc. you will need to tires obviously.

Dirty hands likes this.
  4. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Yeah love to do major service and done with it. Can anyone have access to shop manual please?? I checked on eBay but look like not a complete manual on pdf. That would be a big help.
    thanks

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #5 greyboxer, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    There's lots of buying & running advice already here including a thread dedicated to workshop manual last updated a few days ago - its always worth looking for existing advice & reading relevant threads as previously advised

Dirty hands likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Take her to an expert and let them go through her. Boardwalk or a good independent.

Dirty hands likes this.
  7. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    I wish . It parks hundreds of miles away from any expert. I can handle it just need somebody to point me in the right direction.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Change the oil and filters and brake fluid, put in a new battery and drive her judiciously to an expert for a full fluid, filter, F1 system, etc. inspection and repair.

Dirty hands likes this.
  9. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Does the F1 fluid need to be changed routinely and how often? I know all fluids probably should be flushed and changed eventually but I guess I'm wondering for a low mileage example as this one sounds like....

Dirty hands likes this.
  10. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    wouldn‘t buy any Ferrari without seeing and inspecting it.

Dirty hands likes this.
  11. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Taking a 8 hours trip In my Prius for PPI tomorrow . I have strong feeling that car would come out okay. I’m pay $66500 for this 6000 miles 2005 base 612. Owner bought this car with 5000 miles 11 years ago and never spend a dime for maintenance. So it will need major service, I was just wondering where to start to complete the maintenance and done with it.. also looking for a complete shop manual so I can perform the service.

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Put it on a flat bed, don't even try and start it. Bring it in for a full service and going over.

Dirty hands likes this.
  13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Good luck on your purchase, great price if the car is in good shape.

Dirty hands likes this.
  14. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Oh yeah transport company already lined up! Seller already started and drove around 50 miles and send me the video. No funny lights showing in the video. My goal is to drive it around 10 miles and check for any leaks. Will keep y’all posted. Thanks for help guys.

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in 2006 i bought a 2001 456mgt with 1k miles that had not been driven for 3 years, and no maintenance.
    we agreed on a price for the car, provided that it was taken to the ferrari dealer and thoroughly checked out and serviced, which they did for nearly 20k.
    i kept that car as my daily driver for nearly 9 years.....and in that time, i spent more on keeping that car running and maintenance than any other single car i have ever owned.
    i replaced the radiator, the ecu's, the shocks, the alternator, the water pump, the windows were fixed, the gas tank was fixed, etc etc.
    was this because the car sat for 3 years? or was it assembled on a friday afternoon in july?
    i dont know.

but i wont be buying one like that too quickly again.....

(i did buy another 456mgta (so i am not blaming the model) from an fchatter, and it has been an easier maintenance ride

Dirty hands likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  17. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    You freaking me out Ross. But I will keep your advise in mind .. Thanks

18. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Omg taz. I don’t even know where all of these fluid caps located.. but thanks a lot for big info..

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Pm me for the service manual. You’ll have fun getting at the F1 fluid reservoir! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I bought a 2007 Vantage with 4K miles on it and everything fell apart within 1000 miles of my ownership. Every single rubber seal was dried and cracked, leaks, you name it. If I’m buying a 15 year old car, I wouldn’t consider one under 20k miles. Low miles is not always a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian Crall disagrees with that and has had really good luck with low mileage Ferraris.

gstudent and crinoid like this.
  22. Dirty hands

Dirty hands Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Amir lakhani
    Guys . Finally see this 612 with 6000 miles. Car is a time capsule. Everything works, all the rubber Paint interior is almost new. (Accept stickies) notice one thing.. it shift very slow (1 second delay reaction) or I would say it feels like clutch releasing it’s plates late. It happen in all gears.

obd2 Autel reads 18.78 % on clutch index life. Does that means 18%life left or used? please help on this..

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If it only has 6000 miles, it better have 81% life left!

George Vosburgh and gstudent like this.
  24. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I bought a ten year old 612 with 3000 miles. Sent the car straight to Braden for full service. Everything cost me about $9000 but 5000 miles later, she runs perfect with no issues.