my 2006 Porsche 911 ... | FerrariChat

my 2006 Porsche 911 ...

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    I know - this is a Ferrari Forum

and this is the Dino sub forum

However - I trust you people and so I ask you for some thoughts

I have a 2006 Porsche 911 - C4S - 6 speed - convertible - I bought it new here in LA at Beverly Hills Porsche

I have only put 21K miles on it to this point - I obviously don't drive it much

I have always serviced it at the dealer

which as we all know is an often frustrating experience and has led me to have to call them out on some over - billing

I called them yesterday and couldn't reach them - many times - clicked through lots of auto menu options only to have the call die

so I found a Porsche service shop in the Valley called HOUSE ... read their site ... decided to take the chance

Now - what I know is that the car needs a clutch switch - it started to have a big delay when I would turn the key - I would have to wait many seconds - like many many many before it would crank

with the internet I was able to diagnose the issue and saw the part was not expensive

so I called HOUSE - they were nice - could take the car right away and I drove it out there - I liked their shop - they said they would look it all over and report back ....

2. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    so NOW I just got the e-mail

which I take as the "help us pay our rent" e-mail

let me share with you the laundry list of suggested repair / maintenance

• Starter enable switch $309 (this is the repair I came in for)
    • Coolant expansion tank $1079
    • Front brakes complete $1307
    • Brake fluid service $235
    • Coolant pump $1441
    • Drive belt in conjunction with coolant pump $60
    • B/G Induction service $325
    • Front bumper grille re securing $262.50
    • Major service $1350
    • Transmission gear oil change $394
    • Front awd controller oil change $234
    • Front differential service $226
    • Rear differential service $226

3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    any advice ?

I know that I should probably go thru all of the maintenance records - they are in the glove box of the car of course

I want to treat this car better than I do

with tax that's about 8200 dollars in repairs ...

I know this is the hustle

I've lived it before

this is so I feel great about spending only 4k on some of this stuff, right ?

4. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have a 996T, and can vouch for the fact that Porsche dealers charge by a crazy "schedule" and pretty much all independent shops charge within X% of those rates (basically just lower enough to keep their bays occupied).

Most times, I just use the "recommended service" list as a guide for what to do as I have time over the weekends... :)

I will say, that the costs for each of the individual listed services looks pretty modest by PCar standards.

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s a racket..... do the things YOU believe are necessary.

Neelfryer likes this.
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It looks like most of these things are fluids. What is in the major service for 1300 ? I would think that would be fluids.

carguyjohn350 and Neelfryer like this.
  7. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    update i paid them $308 to replace the clutch / ignition switch and drove the car home - it ran like a top

i will have my friend put the car on his lift and i will loom for fluid leaks etc

I may do some of these things ... but I actually used one of those "ask a mechanic" websites and paid 26 busk to talk to a Porsche mechanic who went thru

the list of repairs and said things like - "that's tank is a 150 dollar part and that's 1.5 hours of labor...so even if it's 200/hr that should be 550 - not 1400 "

so I was happy with my decision to bring the car home

and by the way the service guys were really nice - I know they need to make a buck - but I though 8000 bucks was a bit much - I guess i do need to look into what the 20k porsche service entails

thanks for the advice folks

Skippr1999 likes this.
  8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Everyone needs to make a buck, but it should be in proportion to the work needed and performed. So tired of these dealers that think that because you worked for a expensive car that they are entitled to a larger part of your earned money than deserved.

they seem to just fish for suckers.....

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you are inclined to DIY the work, Porsche sure makes it easy to access their cars' internals.
    My GT3T has 17 screws and two alignment pins to remove the rear bumper, which is required for air filter change.

swift53 and Neelfryer like this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I went the other day for a VW Tiguan tranny update (free) for my daughter's car, and in passing,
    just asked how much the labour rate was....$200 x Hour.:eek:

They will never, ever see her car again. Guaranteed. Unless it is a recall.

I think that's insane.

Regards, Alberto

Neelfryer, of2worlds and Skippr1999 like this.
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, the nice old lady that bought any VW, Toyota, et al., got a great deal at the Dealer, or even at Costco,
    will then get whacked at the going rate, after all, what choice has she?
    It is becoming sort of as the cost of printing cartridges vs. the printer. Which is the real business?

I agree that a mechanic at a dealerhip will make well deservedly 1/2 or slightly less of that $200, but that is
    $16 K per month, hmmmm. Yes, I know he has a wife, an ex-wife or two, kids, a mortgage,

The one that bugs me is the dealership. Multiply that amount times what? 10, 15, 20 mechanics?
    Besides, you have to make an appointment, and if you are lucky, we'll call you back asap...
    Plus, they do sell a car or two :)

Regards, Alberto

Neelfryer likes this.