2021 - Maps/Routes of Fun pleasure Drives | FerrariChat

2021 - Maps/Routes of Fun pleasure Drives

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Mangskoginger, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm sharing a great drive that I've done at least a dozen times: It will take you from Team Stradale at Autobahn County Club to the Starved Rock Lodge via back roads that are south of the river. The pavement conditions are good-to-excellent. There are two sets of railroad track crossings you'll want to be aware of ahead-of-time: One is right after you turn onto Blodgett Rd from the frontage road along the east side of I-55. The other is just before you reach the Orica plant on Du Pont Rd. This drives has lots of windy bits and plenty of elevation changes.

Be sensible on speed (especially the first time you drive this; there are blind corners). The Grundy County and La Salle County Sheriffs' deputies have been pretty cool for the past 11 years (zero tickets). Don't do anything that would spoil this for future drives. Treat them courteously and answer their questions about the car. I've never had to let one of them drive a car, but many of them are car guys themselves and have had lots of questions and asked to look at the inner workings, etc. Also: In case you don't already know this, don't speed in Will County near ACC. That said, I put my foot on the gas after I cross over I-55 and am on the frontage road. Keep it somewhat chill once you're on Pine Bluff Road until you cross IL-47 (75 on the straightaways is common practice for daily drivers on that road). Once you're on the west side of IL-47, the rule is "good judgment".

I'm attaching links to the drive in 2 formats: The first is in regular Google Maps and the second is in Google My Maps:

* https://goo.gl/maps/2dsCUcCFt9So6E5z8
    * https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1knTi_bdQ6PtUdjtvmn-ekkqQkBkhwB6s&usp=sharing

The first one will work fine on your desktop computer insofar as showing you the turn-by-turn route. If you click on that link from your phone, however, it's just going to pull-up the shortest distance route in the Google Maps app which is not what you want.

The second link provides you all of the waypoints for the drive as well as the drive mapped itself. Unfortunately, Google My Maps can't handle more than 10 waypoints per "trip", so I had to break the drive into two sections (which I've named "First Pins" and "Directions from North 24th Road...")

If anyone knows of a website or an app that does a better job of this, please let me know (I've been pulling my hair out with Google Maps / My Maps for years doing these routes and it's not what I'd call "quick" or "user friendly" to create them -- using them, no problem.)

Also, I'm hoping there will be some other owners here in the Chicago forum who have some favorite drives they'd like to share.

All the best. Enjoy! (And hit me up if you're looking to drive this route non-solo.) Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SecretSquirrari likes this.
  2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I second this drive as. I did this last year and really enjoyed the drive

Mangskoginger likes this.
  3. I scouted the route in my x-over this past Saturday. Roads are in good condition. The windy bit on DuPont Rd through/past the Orica property is starting to show its age. That had just been resurfaced maybe 5 years ago and was _very_ nice to wind it up on. Still in pretty good condition, but not "like new". Also, I've added in a lot of sections over the years, but obviously exclude anything unpaved or that dead ends.

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing this drive!

Mangskoginger likes this.
  5. Jinx! I’m out on that very drive this moment w/ my 360 as I rec’d your msg. Actually stopped in Ottawa for lunch @ Lone Buffalo before continuing on to Matthiessen state park. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    S
    Sweet!