348 - How to diagnose Oil or Coolant overfill? | FerrariChat

348 How to diagnose Oil or Coolant overfill?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Swallowtail, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Swallowtail

Swallowtail Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    Hi, I have a problem with my 348 and hope you guys&gals can help me figuring out what went wrong. I suspect that some oil or coolant got into my intake by the fact that the car produced smoke for awhile and the engine sound developed a certain rough „gurgling“ aspect. I'm not even sure it fires on all cylinders. The smoke looked more like water than oil to me but I am no expert.

First thing I did was check the air filter housing and intake hoses → All dry
    In front of the throttle valves there was a little bit of oil residue, maybe this is normal.

- Is there a way for coolant to enter the intake system?
    - Is there a way to look into the Intake without removing the valve cover?

Thanks!

2. Swallowtail

Swallowtail Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    One thing I forgot to mention: I removed the rubber cap from the shaft in the middle of the intake manifold. There was some kind of white grease all over it. Is this normal?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    The white grease is normal.

If you have water in the engine you have big problems as the only way that can get in is via a component failure of some description. Typical symptom is milky film in the oil, but a little is normal due to condensation in the o tank so if there is a bit don’t panic.

Oil on the other hand can and does get in through the breather system. It’s not unheard off for somebody to overfill the oil not realising it’s a dry dump and can only be checked when the engines has been running for a bit.

Can you give some more details; does it start ok? Does it run rough all the time? How much “smoke”? (It’s not just a bit of condensation from the exhaust is it). Obviously be careful not to damage the engine and if in doubt just get it to a decent garage if your not confident to sort it.

4. Swallowtail

Swallowtail Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    #4 Swallowtail, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Thanks for your input.

It was smoking a lot for maybe 10 minutes. After that the smoking stopped completely. Engine starts and runs basically fine. Just the sound is very “off”.

The problems started after I had the car tilted pretty steeply. I jacked up the front and back separately to clean the under-body.

By the way: In my original post I wrote "valve cover" by mistake. I meant to say inlet manifold cover.