550 vs 575 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 vs 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by drbruno, Mar 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A clean 550 is the closest you can get to a 1962 250 GTO... The world’s most expencive car. Both the first of two versions (1963 had a different body). And you can track it, drive to work, cross a continent in a short time (I went from South of France to top of Germany on a single day without a problem). Or just look at it... That is why I find it more collectible than any of the other models mentioned in this thread. Because it is the original, how it was designed the first time. Just like a LP400 Countach now fetch twice the money compared to all the other Countach versions. And it has the good old quilted shelf from the 250s, which the 575M has not. Perfection. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are both wonderful cars. The 575 feels more than just a "slightly evolved" 550 but retains the core Maranello-ness that makes them sublime road cars.

A couple people have asked about the difference, and aside from F1, the big difference is in throttle input and response; The linkage in the 550 requires deliberate input and results in slightly lazier response than the 575's fly-by-wire, which is closer the 599 in responsiveness and explosivity (not quite there, but closer than you'd expect). That's not to say the 550 is lethargic though, it makes little difference when underway, but downshifts, upshifts during hard acceleration, and random times you want to finesse the revs, it just requires more deliberate input.

In the real world, they're about as fast as each other. The 575 has Fabio's full system which dyno'd +60whp @ just a hair under 500. So it's about 100hp more than the 550, but you really need to give it a full shot to notice the difference in a straight line. The real benefit power-wise is mid-range tq <4.5K rpm. It's more readily available, but again, both are tq machines that have more than enough to check the box. The drama added from Fabio's 6-1 headers makes the 575 seem about 10x as fast, though. If I were you, I'd budget to have his headers and cats done on either car you end up with, they truly make a Maranello unspeakably satisfying.

In terms of compliance and handling, they're comparable. The 575 has FHP and I find the steering weight more enjoyable than the 550, but despite more assist in the 550, there is more road feel and compliance given the 18" wheels and extra rubber. Both are flat, both feel small (they ARE small cars, despite the anecdotal conventional wisdom perpetuated on the forums), and both can absolutely hustle with ease. I find the 575 and 550 easier to hold speed on twisty back roads than my 996TT on Ohlins. The smooth torque and neutral, predictable turn-in on both 550/575 gives great confidence in that respect.

575 interior feels far more robust and better designed, but nothing will ever beat the gauges of the 550 and the classic essence of the car in general. Somebody previously said the 550 is pre-digital and the 575 is primative digital; I think the spirit of that comment was correct, but the "primative" description of the 575 is a good thing to me - it has enough to enhance certain systems and experiences, but stops short of overtaking the visceral feeling of captaining a machine. That brings me to the F1. I'm a manual guy, no doubt about that. I find the F1 in the 575 enjoyable. That said, I don't sit in traffic, I don't commute, and I don't live in a city. I pop onto world-class back roads and can drive without really dealing with the stuff in between the garage and quality driving. I just made a deal on an OEM parts package for the 575 conversion, but to be honest, I'm not motivated to do it anytime soon (or ever). I just want to have the option and the OEM stuff is rare as hens teeth.

The 550 is perfection for the GTB ethos. The 575 is perfection aside from the times I pine for a clutch and click-clack of the shift rod. They're both among the best that man ever developed, and in my opinion sit near the maximum point of the parabola on the curve that is "the development of the automobile." All that to say, go drive both and see how you feel about F1. People who like or love it say "it's not that bad" and I reject that statement because to me, it's playing into the peer-pressure of having to unequivocally identify as a purist, but the reality is, it's great fun. There is no doubt the 550 is the darling of the family and is truly a masterpiece, but don't discount a GOOD 575 until you've had a good amount of time in one.

4. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Well sorted F1 is a satisfying car to drive. Its worlds apart from the crappy paddles BMW and Mercedes tack to the steering wheel that you never use. Its still like a manual in how you apply the throttle to engage the clutch and time the shifts. Down shifts coming into a corner can be downright orgasmic. My only fear with F1 is that it is a relatively complex system that relies on fluid pressure, a number of small sensors and a small electric pump to function. Those marelli position sensors are getting pricy and the labor to replace them on the Murci was mental. With DCT the F1 is an outdated technology unfortunately and when they stop making parts it will be a real PITA to fix them. I prefer the feel of single clutch in exotics to DCT personally

white out and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F1 systems that are serviced every three years like Ferrari's last recommendation have few problems. Like any hydraulic system, clean, dry fluid, with no air really helps, along with a bleed, self-test, PIS optimization, and leak check. Mine gets half the fluid turkey baster removed and replaced every year, which also helps. Have a large supply of Tutela CS Speed on hand. Amazon has it right now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hwyman, Doc_Dent and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  6. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Wow! Thanks for the great advice everyone. I think it's a 550 for me but I'm hoping to drive both and decide.

F456M likes this.
  7. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #32 NE550, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Don't have much seat time in a 575, but to me it's a matter of personal preference between the 550 and 575. The differences are mostly in the details, although you can't deny the added displacement, and therefore torque and power, of the 575.

If you have to have a factory gated manual, the 550 is pretty much it. Otherwise, you will have to decided if a manual 575 is worth the ~$100K or more premium above a 550. Or, alternatively, if you're willing to spend the money (roughly $30K or so) and time to convert an F1 575 into a manual. In other words, accept not having a factory 3-pedal Maranello.

Then again, an F1 575 has its own charms. I've ridden in Fabio F's personal F1 575 with his full-boat exhaust, and the acceleration (and sound) is just brutal.

Again, comes down to personal preference. Any way you decide to go on a Maranello, you can't go wrong IMO.

8. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    Seeing how 550 prices seem to be holding up very well (ie 150k+ ish), you can bridge by swapping the F1 (30k) or if you have the economic resources perhaps get the 575M with Gated 6 speed and have best of both worlds (200-225k seem the norm). Perhaps even better upside?

Themaven likes this.
  9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Before buying a factory gated 575, I would get a 550 and a 575 F1 for a little bit more money.
    So you have both.
    ;)

+ 2x 6-1 headers for sure, this is a must have like Joe said above.

@Dave
    "I've ridden in Fabio F's personal F1 575 with his full-boat exhaust, and the acceleration (and sound) is just brutal."

I can confirm this, I was shocked about the acceleration this car has.

Daniel

greg246 likes this.
  10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Most 550 owners are surprised by how much more power the 575M has than a 550. With Fabio's headers, even more pronounced.

Tim Riley, F456M and DZ-96 like this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Fabios 575 is nearly on the 599 GTB level.

Daniel

NE550 and F456M like this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    More power, yes, and pull through the range. It’s not just at the top end. 575 is like a 550 turned up to 13. When I got my 575 I drove it back to back with my 550 and asked my dealer if the 575 had been remapped, it was that different. More than the figures suggest.

NE550, white out, DZ-96 and 2 others like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    And still no one drive 200 mph.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Takes a long time to get to 200 mph indicated (322 kph) and even longer to get to 200 mph true, likely never in a 550.

white out likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not buying the real-world differences between a 550 and a 575. Maybe if you're an expert driver, and you're on a track, you can tell the difference. However, driving that fast on public roads is an accident waiting to happen. Too many bad things can and will happen. In fact, the biggest problem is the brakes. I tracked my 550 a little bit, and there were a few times the ABS was pumping like a madman as a wall was coming up. Interesting times. Don't forget, Maranellos are GTs. They are not Ricky Racer cars.

Now, I once owned a SL 55 and a 550 at the same time. The SL 55 had the torque. AMG builds a great V8. But the SL was softer than the 550.

But, the biggest joy of a 550 was the transmission. Man oh man, making a fast shift from 2nd to 3rd under power without the hood dipping, beyond priceless.

Tim Riley likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  17. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    I can not speak to a 550 as have never driven, so do not really know the difference besides specs and looks. I will say, I've owned my 575M Gated for 2.5 years now (23k+ miles). I have yet to have an issue, highly dependable to date (minus fixing the sticky issue). I have not come close to pushing it to the top limit. But, the around town torque, handling, and pure driving enjoyment is the best I have ever experienced (I have owned many cars in my life). If the F1 is 90% as enjoyable as the gated, the extra engine horsepower/torque would be worth it to me over the 550 Gated while saving a good chunk of change. The exterior is almost impossible to tell the difference. The interior on 575M is much nicer IMHO. The dependability factor is the cherry on the top. I would however, pick a fine example of either and not question the decision.

Texas Forever and Themaven like this.
  18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Whilst I appreciate there are differences between the 550 and the 575, it is hard to imagine they are really worth more than the difference between a good car in the spec you want and a not so good one with a lesser spec. In other words, you can't buy a new one so you are buying from the pool of cars that are for sale and that the original owners specified unless you really want to spend money changing everything to the spec you would have ordered. I have never spent a moment in my 550 wishing it had more power or wishing I had bought a 575 instead. I find it hard to imagine anyone owning either model would be wishing anything different (provided they haven't ended up buying a poorly maintained example or one with otherwise bad history).

19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Terry. You will be supriced how quick the 550 and 575 can get to top speed. Of course this is most relevant in Germany where you can do it legally. As Harry Metcalfe say in his 550 video, the Maranello flies up to 300 much faster than his Pagani Zonda.... I have never done a sprint from standstill or slow speed up to top speed, because it is never really a neccesary scenario. But when you have 160-180 kph. cruising speed, and the roads are clear and everything is ok, the car hit 300 in a matter of seconds. Because the 48 valves «breath» so well, the car can almost «cruise» at 300 at 75% power... cruise at 270 is no problem at all. Even my 456M could cruise at 270 for a long period. I want to have a GPS next time to see the real speed. But I doubt it is really a big difference like in the old cars. I believe the drive by wire system can make the 575 throttles open more agressively than the cable type. My Maserati was super fast with that system. But the 550 is faster when you start going really fast...

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- The error can be as high as 10%, but you need to calibrate yours to see for sure. That would make 322 kph indicated as little as 290 kph or 180 mph. Getting to 300 is one thing, but the last 25 kph will take a while.

Jonathan- You are correct, I never considered a 550 because I wanted F1 (F1 and manuals cost the same in 2008) and a relatively new (4 year old) Maranello. In 2008, I had nearly 50 years of experience with three pedals, so wanted to try something new. Still love her and the F1 system 13 years later. Helps to over-maintain the F1 system.

white out likes this.
  21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Agreed. I am a big fan of manual cars (575M is my first auto in a decade and only non-manual of our 7 cars) but the F1 is a hell of a lot of fun. I initially thought about swapping for three pedals, but I really don't see a reason to do so with the exception of the following: to make others drool, launch and burnouts.

The F1 system is so basic in these cars that you have to drive it like a manual and control the gears yourself. I daily my car and live in center of the city, it has a random hiccup about once a week of downshifting when I go to get on-throttle in the city, otherwise the F1 system does exactly what I want it to.

22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your small collection is bananas in the best way. I’m also very fortunate but your garage has so much horsepower it’s amazing

white out likes this.
  23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    You can't go wrong with either. I bought the 550 almost by accident and man Im glad I did, the more I drive it the more I love it. These are fantastic cars in every sense of the word. Since there are faster cars on the road you stop caring so much about straight line performance and start enjoying the car for what it is. That silky V12, the amazing lines, comfortable and classy interior. It truly is a beacon of light among the new crap dealers are selling. My 65 Porsche is slower than a new Golf but it puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it. Maranello is the same way, if money were taken out of the equation I would take it over almost any new car. There is truth in the statement that its more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The F8 and 812 are marvels of technology but the speed at which the fun begins is impound your car shred you license territory. I can have fun in the Maranello at or a hair over the speed limit

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not that a Maranello is slow. ;)

My driving habit is early Sunday morning I head for the back roads. Just rowing a 550 to third would have me going 90!

25. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "Slow" and 550 Maranello do not belong in the same sentence. It's anything BUT slow. It is all relative degrees *FAST* when we've comparing 550 v. 575 v. whatever.

If you wanna talk slow, the Subaru 4x4 wagon I drove back in college in the early '80s...now THAT is slooooow!

Texas Forever and DZ-96 like this.