Update maps 2010 California | FerrariChat

Update maps 2010 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferrari52000, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How do I update the maps in the navigation system in 2010 California? Is there a website that I can download the current version?

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think you'll find all previous threads with this request were unsuccessful - there was a possibility a couple of years ago of an official release and some might have hacked an update from the source vehicle (Chrysler ?) - try a search

3. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Download Waze up on your cell phone with an Air-pod.
    I have found this beats any of my vehicle GPS systems by a large margin, including our Cali T.
    Easier than beating head against wall, (ask me how I know)
    Bonus: Others can listen to the music while driver only gets the GPS information.

ferrari52000, whatheheck and tomc like this.
  4. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    The oem Ferrari navigation screen makes a nice mounting point for my TomTom suction cup, and TomTom does not shut down and reset every time that you turn the key off.

Mizzenmast likes this.
  5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It’s interesting that the units used in the California and FF are nearly identical to the 08 to 12/13 Chrysler branded units. But while they were manufactured by the same vendor it’s become apparent to me that they are very different.

I recently had issues with the unit in my wife’s mini van and there is an outfit that specializes in the Chrysler group units. Note that I said Chrysler group. While speaking to the tech on the phone I inquired about the California unit since it certainly looked like the same unit. While the software looks identical it’s not. The Ferrari units even have a different can buss speed then the Chrysler group units, and there were an ungodly amount of different Chrysler units.

I’ve not found any current support for the Ferrari unit. If it goes south, and it eventually will, the best option is try to find something different. Because the replacement unit for a Ferrari for what it is is way over priced. So I asked if one of these units from Chrysler would work. The tech said likely not and he advised to not even try. It would likely cause an electrical issue with the different can bus speed.

Not sure if there was support at one time but it’s a distant memory if there was. Seems kinda silly to not support the unit but considering the low amount of units produced for Ferrari and likely special programming that made them different there was no attempt made to offer extended support.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    this is the stuff that drives you crazy about Ferrari .. why not use the same basic system that a sister company uses make it look different maybe but electronics on Ferraris are always a PIA.

7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah I had no idea the stereo was that different internally but as I said there is something like 8 or 10 versions in the Chrysler products alone. Also I’m fairy sure that that generation of stereo for Chrysler had uconnect support that has since expired but you could still purchase the updated maps up to when they ended support. The guy I talked to didn’t know who was doing the support for Ferrari and to his knowledge no one was. It’s definitely not uconnect though.

But at the end of the day I guess you don’t buy a Ferrari for the music the stereo makes, you buy one for a long host of other reasons. If you had a model that supports Apple car play that might be better, since you could just do that but.....

LARRYH likes this.
  8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sort of a bummer, isn't it? But Shawn, you are right. We bought the Ferrari for other reasons. Unfortunately the issue of expired software is one of the banes of modern life!

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    How true, it’s that way with everything now. Seems like if you buy certain smart TVs now after 5 years they suspend support.

would be nice if at least updated map support was available for all gps systems in vehicles, at least for longer then it seems they do now because seems like there is road construction constantly. Sure we have phones with gps but that adds another distraction. And honestly I’ve only needed a gps when traveling somewhere I’ve never been as normally I pretty much know where I’m going or how to get there.

Florida Joe and alex like this.