I need help with 328 motor mounts | FerrariChat

I need help with 328 motor mounts

Discussion in '308/328' started by lopena, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I’m trying hard to replace the motor mounts on my 328. I jacked up the engine (after removing the motor mount bolts and disconnecting the shift linkage and the torque strut at the top of the engine) and I easily removed the front motor mounts.

My problem is removing the rear motor mounts...no matter how high I jack up the engine I just can’t pull the rear mounts out of their brackets...I’m about an inch away from clearing the bracket. I’ve jacked the car so far up that the rear wheels have left the ground!

What am I doing wrong??

Many thanks, as always!
    Alan
    N.J.

2. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello,
    I would recommend removing the bracket.

John

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    If you remove the brackets be sure to keep track of which one came from which location. There are two different parts, the difference can be subtle at first.

4. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Yes, I tried to remove the brackets (which attach to the engine block) but there’s one bolt I couldn’t access because the motor mount itself was blocking it. Very frustrating...

Alan
    N.J.

5. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Another thought...should I perhaps disconnect the exhaust system?

There’s obviously something that is hanging up the engine block...and it’s strong enough to lift the entire rear end of the car when I jack the engine up!

Alan
    N.J.

6. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    If you separate the engine mount from the bracket and jack up the engine a bit you normally should be able to access all four bolts on the engine mount that connects to the engine. I did this myself a couple of months ago and the rear ones were a pain. I managed to replace the mounts without fully removing the brackets, only loosening them enough so they could be tilted upwards to clear the top of the engine mount.
    This was on a 308 but I'd imagine it's the same on the 328.

There are usually washers/spacers beneath the mount resting on the frame. Ensure that they are removed before you try to remove the mount itself.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gents:

Success!!

Using your suggestions I managed to remove and replace all four motor mounts!

I jacked the car up as much as I could (without having the rear wheels leave the ground) and wiggled the loose motor mounts (in the rear) out of the way so that I could remove all four bolts securing the brackets to the engine block. I then removed the rear motor mounts and brackets as a unit.

I want to thank Brian, John and Miklas for their assistance and encouragement!

Alan
    N.J.

Saabguy, thorn and Kidasters like this.
  8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Were your mounts defective or preventative maintenance? Can you provide a before and after driving experience?

9. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    There was no indication that my mounts were shot...no strange noises or problems shifting. The only reason I changed them was because they were 33 years old.

I’ll provide a review of the driving experience in the next week or two.

Alan
    N.J.

ferrariowner likes this.
  10. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've got 4 new mounts in a box, and may get around to doing this at some point. This will be helpful.

Ken

11. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    Before I replaced my mounts the shifting was was not great when pushing on (the old mounts allowed the engine to move too much under load). Afterwards the shift quality was much better.

12. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    F-chatters:

Here are a few more helpful hints on replacing 328 motor mounts:

Once the four new motor mounts are under the engine (with the engine still jacked up) leave the two smaller bolts that attach each mount to the upper bracket a bit loose...you want to be able to rattle the mounts a little bit.

The critical step now is to get the four large motor mount bolts properly threaded into the motor mounts. You will probably discover, much to your horror, that the bolt-holes in the motor mounts no longer line up with the holes in the lower chassis rail. Do not freak out. This simply means that the engine has shifted a bit while being jacked up. The solution is to look up in the holes with flashlight and determine which direction you need to move the engine block. Using a long piece of wood as a lever, gently nudge the engine block left or right, back or forth, by a fraction of an inch, until the bolt-holes line up perfectly. These large motor mount bolts are NOT the bolts you want to cross-thread!

Once you have all four bolts partially threaded into the motor mounts you can remove the jack from under the engine and let it settle onto the motor mounts. Once you have all four bolts fully threaded and torque down (I used 40.5 ft-lbs) make sure to go back and tighten the eight smaller bolts securing the mounts to the upper brackets.

While you’re under the car don’t forget to re-connect the shift linkage. Also, don’t forget to reattach the torque-strut on top of the engine.

Replacing motor mounts is a fiddly job requiring finesse, brute strength, the right tools and a bit of patience and perseverance, but it’s well within the capability of the average enthusiast.

Thanks once again to the guys who helped me through this!

Alan
    N.J.

Saabguy likes this.