"Drive to Survive" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Drive to Survive"

Discussion in 'F1' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Short term gain for loss of trust. They'll question whatever they're being told in future when they find out the pit wall was instructed to lie to them in the past.

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Debatable I reckon. The whole team was (is) grasping at straws. If Steiner's lie worked to keep Grosjean motivated to get the points...the driver could see it the same way.

Haas have bigger problems whether the lie helped them short term or not. Their early approach worked back when but clearly hasn't worked for quite a few years now.

Isobel likes this.
  3. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I really like this series and am halfway into season 2. Do you think I will have enough context after watching season 3 as it only covers 2020 and I will have very little explanation of 2021

I always wanted to get into F1 but found it difficult as I didn't know the teams, players etc. Going to Youtube to learn just wasn't doing it for me.

I feel that by watching this series, I will be much more into the races and it was a good "shortcut" to understand the players. I only wish there was a good next step such as finding other people that are more experienced to watch F1 with Any other suggestions? I am in Orange County, CA BTW

Ironically, my wife loves this show more than me and I really like it. So now she is into F1 and I was surprised by that. So we now have something we can do together.

I understand that USA has a lower interest in F1 than other countries. I know many of you want to build more interest and get more people into the sport. Perhaps start a new thread where more experienced people interact with newer people and point out things and be willing to answer questions and such. I try to follow some of the posts, but they are hard to put into context because they tend to be with experienced people speaking with other experienced people.

The takeaway is, I really want to get more and more into the sport and I think there are others and I think you all have things you can offer to faciliate that.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's quite difficult to get ''into'' F1, especially since you're American, you don't have a driver to cheer for, and the only team from your side of the world counts a ''good weekend'' if they're lapped only once. Makes you wonder why you should wake up early on the weekends to watch the same thing happen over and over again (though finally, right now there is at least a championship fight happening!).

If I'm very honest with you, I don't find a whole lot of ammunition to convince someone to watch F1 right now. 2022, maybe. Unless you find yourself a fan of Max or Lewis, you'll be setting yourself up for boredom & disappointment, watching whoever you support (since you're here, presumably Ferrari), come home a distant 4th or worse weekend after weekend.

On a similar note, I want to get into Indycar, but right now I also have a timezone issue. Also finding a team/driver to cheer for?

As you write in your own post, finding a group of people to watch F1 with is probably your best bet. At the very least it allows you to go for a very early morning blast on the way to the people to view it with!

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ pure BS

Our daughter never watched an F1 race until 3 yrs ago. We went to Montreal the next yr and she is hooked. Max and Lewis is a big deal, but she finds a lot of enjoyment following almost all the other drivers. Other than two yrs ago when Ferrari was taking it to Mercedes before the engine debacle, this has been the most exciting yr in the past 8. There is a lot to enjoy in F1 for both new and old fans.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I said it's difficult, not impossible.

And I'm also saying it as someone that has watched F1 since the 90s, so my memory is spoiled with ''how it could be''.

One of my twin brothers (16) got into it this year. Took them both to Spanish GP 2016 and they cared more for the F2 cars (still V8 at the time) and they found those far more impressive than the F1 cars. But only this year one of them took a real interest in the sport and actively watches the qualis and races. Like you Americans, we find ourselves in a **** time zone for F1. So it's not impossible, but it is harder to get into. And if you don't like either Lewis or Max, it is quite hard to get into the sport.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I shouldn't have said 'BS'. I just disagree with your sentiment, re American fans of F1. My daughter is a Ferrari fan, although she likes Lando as well. Max/Lewis is big, for most everyone, because of the title fight otherwise they would be no different than any other driver. She has an easier time than me watching because she is in the Eastern time zone, 3hrs ahead of me. But I enjoy a peaceful morning at 5am with a cup of tea and texting back and forth with her during the event (FP1/FP2/FP3/Q1/Q2/Q3/Race). Another race in the US will help tremendously with the American fan base.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No stress :)

I think those that started watched around the hybrid era will have an easier time watching now, for sure, as there is real competition this year.

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I caved. I didn't watch any of Season 3 and 4, but decided to watch the final episode of the most recent season 4.

Like Bas, I find the faux announcer very annoying. Funny, as much as Netflix attempts to dial up the drama, I found it fell short of actually watching the final race.

There were a few video clips I hadn't seen. Maybe I'll watch the COTA episode in a few months.

Bas, Edward 96GTS and Terra like this.
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    show blows.
    maybe the director will get another crack at it as he said the editors ruined it.

Bas likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just finished season 4. I think they could have done much better job considering how much tension there was in the second half of the season. Enjoyable, but man I feel they could have really knocked it out of the park. It was an epic season and I really don't think it did it any justice.
    I fell they left a lot on the table.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I watched it over the weekend - got sick so nothing better to do... it was average. I think the access was limited compared to the other seasons.. or they just did not have their heart in it... the lack of Verstappen interviews hurt them... it was ok - clearly better than nothing. but overall it was not much. the use of the F word was ubiquitous...

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm midway through season 4. I think the editors do what they can with what they have, but it's also clear that they have very limited access to many of the top teams. Still, it's interesting to get some insight into the drivers and principles that one doesn't normally see on raceday.

14. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I plan to binge (?) watch the two episodes later this week - No matter how bad it is it is better than 99% of the drivel on Netflix, normal cable and all the other insipid "streaming" crap out there IMHO. I find myself watching re-runs of Family Guy and South Park - DTS could show them painting and cleaning the equipment/travel units and a special on who makes the driving suits and it would be better than most of what is on "TV" these days IMHO.

Cheers :)

classic308 likes this.
  15. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I just think the concept is no longer fresh
    Kind of lacking content on the Strolls and other colorful characters
    Getting Susie Wolff involved was smart, she has an impressive racing history herself
    Mr Haas was nowhere to be seen, I can’t understand how Sterner still has a job

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Nobody else wants it. Consider last year that Haas showed up with a barely-updated 2021 car, and publicly announced that they were spending no money on upgrades that season. Add in a spoiled-boy poor driver with an overbearing daddy who was threatening to pull the funding throughout the season. Tons of stress with zero chance of success -- I hope he gets a decent paycheck.

This year will be worse. Even if they start well (for them) they won't be developing anything. And once Mick moves on, there's really no reason for the team to exist. Hopefully they'll be purchased by another sucker with a big dreams and a bigger wallet.

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ok well I have watched the first two episodes and the last one just to see how they covered the "controversy of the decade" - Perhaps since I am in the US I am like a heroin addict in a place with no supply but I don't think it is that bad. I still find it interesting and yes, the format is now familiar and the delve a bit too much into the soap opera aspects but let's face it there IS a lot of drama in F1 both on the track and in the boardrooms.

To me it is still super-entertaining, interesting and fascinating. But as I joked above ANYTHING F1-related to a US fan is like a hit of albuterol to an asthma patient. <there - I think I have cashed in my drug and medical analogies for the day> :)

Cheers :)

18. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Worse still I think the 2021 car was practically the 2019 car, only real update it received was the 2021 regulation floor and Ferrari's 2021 engine.

Mr Haas nowhere to be seen not that crazy, even before corona he wasn't at that many races I believe.

Steiner is doing a good job given the the fact he's basically been told to run the team on fumes and can't do anything. Who wants to sponsor that? Can't blame him.

20. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Perhaps I am confusing it with an Amazon Prime series, but I thought the first season had a lot of insightful behind-the-scenes information and now they are just a dramatic season re-cap. You had to know there was a lot of discussion about Yuki Tsunoda and Mazaspin! That was interesting to see some of the discussion.

21. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I enjoy it.... I know its manipulated..... but every episode I watch and I see/hear baby max or karen horner open their mouths I know my dislike of them is genuine .....not a comment on how max drives, he is amazing , deserved the title on merit, but not the way he got it, but horner is just a C**t.... Max is young and will grow into being a total C**k like his dad... Not a lot of sportsman or gentleman in F1 now days, its not like the 60's or 70's.. It took Seb a few years to calm down, Lewis too... other than Max the new crop look good coming through, George, Carlos, Lando, Mick , im excited for the future of F1 and being able to follow it like this is good for everyone....... just ask me and 400,000 of my closest friends trying to get out of COTA last year LOL

Thomas S. and Terra like this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perez, Lando, Danni ric all called it full of **** as well...apparently netflix creating a fake narrative that lando and Ric don't like each other.

Can see more drivers follow Max and not participate anymore.

I don't understand the need to create artifical drama, fake engine noises, fake rivalries. all in a confusing time frame. Surely documenting 2 races per episode and show actually what's going on behind the scenes would be far more interesting? I also think if a few more drivers quit the show, that'll be it for DTS. And it'll be their own fault completely.

Giallo 550 and Thomas S. like this.
  23. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Same here. I've been into F1 for decades but when she watched this she got fully hooked. She never understood all the behind the scenes stuff, the work, the brains, the drama, etc...

dustman and Shorn355 like this.
  24. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I can second that as well. My wife is a total fan cuz of the series, taking her to the Monaco GP in 2019 didn't hurt either.

We binged it. Didn't see Stroll at all. Too much of Russell, not liking him that much... The inserted narratives drive me a little nuts but it's needed. I think the series along with Liberty Media has been key to greater F1 popularity in America, such a contrast to Bernie's scheme.

dustman and Shorn355 like this.