458 - Oil Leak in Front of Right Rear Wheel | FerrariChat

458 Oil Leak in Front of Right Rear Wheel

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilko, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I had the under tray off the other day and noticed a small oil leak in front of the right rear wheel. There is some sort of a canister tucked in the fender, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact location of the leak, so I cleaned up the area, buttoned it up and went for a drive. A day later I saw this under the car. Do you guys know what the culprit might be? Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Brake fluid, lift system fluid, or power steering fluid

What color is it .. green or yellowish ?

3. Alamo Gear Head

Alamo Gear Head Karting

Sep 28, 2015
    The canister is the fluid overflow for the transmission. Was the transmission recently serviced? If so, it may have been over filled and this is the overflow. If it wasn’t recently serviced I would check gearbox and clutch fluid levels.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Please disregard my post .. i read " front left tire somehow and i didn't notice pic" - sorry

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Following ….. leaking is normally not good. What is the year of the car ?

6. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    It feels, smells, and looks like regular engine oil to me. The transmission has not been serviced recently. The oil doesn't have the distinctive transmission oil smell, unless DCT boxes use a different type of oil?

7. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Ilko San, following with interest, and hoping it's just something small/silly.

Maybe she's a little intimidated by the other German cats, and just marking her territory :)

Cheers

Matt

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Getrag DCT transmissions take a special DCT oil; it's typically light amber colored, very similar to what you are seeing there. It's basically like a 75W90 gear oil, although it's more on the thinner side.

https://www.motul.com/us/en/products/multi-dctf

Ray

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well …. what now ?

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It could be anything. How many miles on the car? Maybe the evap canister is full? Who knows. My advice would be to remove the under panels and trace the leak to the actual source,

Ray

11. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Turns out it’s the pump for the hydraulic front axle lift that’s leaking. It’s mounted in front of the rear wheel. I’ve never even used the damn lift, even with the car being lowered. Sorting it out now...

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    At least they tracked it down and it's not the motor.

This is a good example of why I always say skip the lift and just buy a front skid plate. Not only is it more handy, but less complexity and weight (and things to go wrong).

Ray

mdrums and 458 Spider 0414 like this.
  13. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I’ve got two 911s that sit lower than the 458 even though it is lowered too. But the front lift can come in handy in certain cases.

I’ve got the pump out, it’s made by an American manufacturer - Parker Hydraulics in Minneapolis. I’m going to look for a place to reseal/rebuild it and will report back...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Nice work. I've rebuilt several hydraulic pieces of equipment. One floor jack and also a 28 ton log splitter. Usually it's just an O-ring that goes bad. You can order every O-ring you can imagine off McMaster.com. Just make sure to get ones which are tolerance of hydraulic fluid.

Why not crack it open yourself?

Ray

15. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks! Will look into it.

16. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Called Parker this morning, customer service rep was very helpful and gave me the name of their repair facility 15 mins from my house. Dropped off the pump there, they will have it serviced and it will come back with a 1 year warranty.

Meanwhile I looked up the pump, it is nothing special, an off-the-shelf unit from the Parker catalog that Ferrari bought. A cheap repair bill sure beats a $3500 pump replacement!

up4speed likes this.
  17. 458SG

458SG Rookie

Oct 17, 2021
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vipula
    Hi @ilko, how did this all work out in the end? Installed and working again?

18. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Yep. Had the pump serviced, I believe it cost about $300, and took a couple of weeks.

I installed it back on, filled it with hydraulic fluid and bled the system the old-fashioned way by pressing the lift button. The factory repair manual asks to connect the car to a computer but that’s not necessary.

It works just fine now, I love how quickly the hydraulic system lifts the front end compared to an air compressor that Porsche uses for instance.

19. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Glad to hear you got it all sorted… I have the lift on my ‘15 458 Italia and I use it every time I take a drive.

The entrance to my driveway requires a Sherpa guide and Mt. Everest climbing gear to summit without damaging the car, so I’m glad I have it.

I would cycle the pump occasionally to keep the seals sorted. It’s a better safe than sorry kind of preventative maintenance approach.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Cheers!

20. 458SG

458SG Rookie

Oct 17, 2021
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vipula
    Thanks for the quick reply. Mine's sprung a small leak as well and I've seen that Parker have an office and service centre here in Singapore too. Will try them next week. In the interim I'm trying some AT-205. Figured it was worth a shot if I had to replace/service the pump anyway.

21. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    The Parker office told me I could use their recommended hydraulic fluid and not the Shell that Ferrari specifies in the manual. But I got the Shell anyway.

458SG likes this.