430 - How many people have headers with mini-cats without a CEL? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 How many people have headers with mini-cats without a CEL?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    PM sent......

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    #27 Ray Smith, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    The angled portion can be screwed in two ways. One was screwed in at a 90 degree angle, while the other was screwed straight in. That's the way they were in the bag when the dealer gave them to me. It's totally unclear which way the mini-cat screws into the angled block. Either way, when the mini-cat is attached to the rear Lambda sensor, their is no room for it. None. There are heat shields and other obstacles.

It's not even clear whether this attaches to the upstream sensor or the downstream sensor. I am beginning to think it goes on the upstream sensor since that is where the missing pre-cat was located. But again, with absolutely no example, such as a simple photo of these installed on a 430, there is no frame of reference to go by. Even a hand-drawn diagram on the back of an envelope would go a long way towards clarifying this, but Fabspeed customer support is useless.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As you can see, there is no room for that extremely long O2 spacer, especially with the 90 degree bend.

Yet, here is the single instruction from the header install guide:

"17. IMPORTANT: Install the included 90 Degree Oxygen Spacers into the downstream secondary oxygen sensor ports (Catalytic Converter Location). Do NOT install the spacers on the headers themselves as this will cause vehicle operational issues." Note: emphasis added.

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My (shortish and only $25) 45deg O2 spacers (not mini cats) both point towards the oil filler cap, as a reference. Aiming in and up past the cat heatshields. Fitted great. That's a lot of twisting of the O2 sensor wires when unscrewing! I unplugged and freed the wires to get the sensors out and cable tied back in. Yes it was a pain. HTH

Ray Smith likes this.
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Sorry, they were claimed nanoseconds after I posted that. They have already shipped.

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Darn it!

6. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    2006 F430, Capristo header, HFCs and Capristo muffler, no O2 spacer or mini cats, no CEL.

7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dont ever twist o2 sensor wires
    They are delicate and the sensor will often fail soon after

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Your car is a 2006. Aldous Voice has an excellent article on how Ferrari changed the software that monitors the Lambda sensors in 2007. The earlier software was not as sensitive to differences in the readings from the two sensors, to the point where it basically ignored the front sensor.

https://aldousvoice.com/2016/11/13/ferrari-f430-catalytic-converter-efficiency-error-codes/

This partially explains why some owners do not experience the dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes triggering a CEL.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  9. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016

Yes I have heard this before! Thank you for the link, I'll check it out!

10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Bought a pair of downstream Lambda sensors by Bosch on Amazon for $51 each. Cut the old ones off to make it easier to remove the old sensors/connectors and install the new ones, eliminating the bolted-on cable wraps, and using regular cable ties instead. Otherwise, to get the old sensors off, would have required removing the air box.

Installed the Big Daddy O2 spacers on the new sensors. Fired up the car and went for a drive. No CELs, no codes.

Total, including sensors and spacers, $200. Fabspeed spacers cost $275 and do not fit on a 430, and even if they did, would scream modified at the SMOG inspection. Big Daddy spacers are discreet.

Ray

ditpixs likes this.
  11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Does this mean you'll be leaving Fchat? ...... Just sell the boat anchor now ?

12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I'm working on selling the boat anchor as we speak. But I won't make your day and leave F-Chat, since very few of the posters here actually own a Ferrari.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ray, there’s a whole conversation going on the general forum on the thread you started about being ripped off by a dealer on a 430 and then someone said you are trying to sell your 430 to them without disclosing your issues, and so forth. I am not taking sides, but pointing it out, just in case you are missing it.

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    His name is mcavinder and he said he was looking for a specific 430. I messaged him that I had one. There wasn't much conversation beyond that.

And thanks for pulling my coat. I had no idea why he suddenly replied "Disregard". The only "issue" remaining has been ameliorated, and that was the CEL for no precats. I don't know how the dealer screwing me affects him, but I doubt he had enough money and needed an excuse to bail. His first question was whether the car had anything to do with CNC Motors. He asked for the VIN, I gave it to him, and suggested he run a Carfax. I told him his guy could do a PPI., and, I have clear title to the car.

15. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I have the Capistro twin sound headers, and exhaust system with the valves. No issues whatsoever and it's been 5 years since they were installed. No tuning or other changes. However, it does get loud when the valves open up....

16. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    2005 F430 F1. It had previous installed Fabspeed headers when I purchased it, the main cats and Fabspeed mini Cats on angled spacers for the Lambda sensors. I don't know if it still has front lambda sensors, and I believe it is still a factory tune on the ECU's. Has stock Ferrari muffler box with valves that work. Sounds great with acceleration and I can keep it fairly subtle with gentle accelerations and early shifting. No CEL's related to the exhaust system. We don't have emissions testing in IL so can't speculate if this setup would have passed CA emissions testing. It was originally owned in CA but moved to NM and eventually to TX, now IL. Happy with the setup. Installing blankets next week. Sorry to see that Ray Smith is selling his. I learn a lot from his posts as a newbie, and have paralleled most of his mods.

17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The 430s built prior to MY2007 had software that was more tolerant of poor performance of, and even the absence of, the pre-cats in the exhaust manifold. That's why some people make the incorrect assumption that no 430s with after-market headers experience CELs or exhaust-related error codes.

I am keeping the 430 until mid-2022 when I can buy a C8 Z06. If necessary, I'll trade it for the Chevy even-up.

18. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is true, I have a 2006 and replaced my manifolds with Tubi, replaced all 4 of the O2 sensors at the same time, original cats, and zero CEL. I did this work over a year ago.

There is a benefit in this regard to the earlier years.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Does it still pass CA inspections and emissions testing?

20. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes, I’ve had no issues. The Tubi manifolds look more stock than the stock manifolds with the dimpled heat shield matching the other heat shields in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Snapshift and EastMemphis like this.
  21. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

The one on the left is correctly assembled. The right one just needs to have the 90degree elbow put on the other end of the mini cat.. The male threads of the 90 deg fitting screw into the catalytic converter and screw the mini cat male threads into the into the fitting and sensor into the top of the female threaded end of the minicat. The problem I keep having with these are that they continually loosen and rattle a bit. I cant get them tightened enough to stay tight. Ive tried high heat epoxy but that loosens right up too. any suggestion appreciated.

22. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    set them up like this, they will pass smog and actually work as intended, no reflash, no mini cats, no extenders, just before and after the main cat and you're good to gol