Testarossa exhaust - what am I looking at here | FerrariChat

Testarossa exhaust - what am I looking at here

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mr308gtb, Mar 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Is this a full testarossa exhaust? Does this delete the cat and precast? I've looked at a few diagrams of the US exhaust and it seems the exhaust manifold section comes out to to meet these staggered pipes... Does this thing look any good, does it look complete? I've heard it on the car and it sounds pretty good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes, but not original

yes

yes

:)
    sound clip please

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That is a complete Borla exhaust for the Testarossa alright. I had the same system on 2 of the Testarossas I had years ago. Yes it eliminates the Precats and Cats. It also sounds quite nice. It does not have the high pitched sound like Capristo, it is a lower Growl but sounds good.

MOSS likes this.
  5. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I scooped it up this morning. Looks good,.no cracks, but do you think I can try out my new smoke leak detector and see if any cracks or leaks... Bolts are rusty... Should I just leave them alone or try and taken it apart. I think it is a borla, the seller was selling for his boss and didn't really know... Paid $700.

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Any good posts on how to install this thing?

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Carefully remove the body panel under the TR's exhaust system, this will allow you to drop the entire system out of the car. Be sure to label the O2 sensors as to which cylinder head they go to - left / right. Unbolt the exhaust from the headers. Then remove the clevis pins that hold the muffler to the spring-loaded perches, and remove the entire system in one piece if you can - kinda heavy. Installation of the Borla system in reverse order....very easy.

8. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
  9. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Should I hit with some penetrating oil and let it soak. Try and disconnect and replace that degrading gasket?

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the welding looks not so nice :(

11. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    That's all hidden. I did read that the borla finish was not as clean as the others. I guess that doesn't bother me. I read that this unit sounds very good, grumbling and low pitched. I will see eventually.

Does anyone know where in would buy the gasket that goes between the pieces. Might to to my friend who is a metal guy, welder, high end furniture maker. Can clean this thing up with me.

12. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Seems like the back section is stainless and the part the eliminates the cats is steel. Must have has some chrome finish coating on it that is peeling off.

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I just bought a used exhaust too. My precats bolts I had to use a torch to heat up. Penetrating oil wasn't working. My donuts were very rusty too. I had to chisel a bit to loosen them up, but one was so rusted it just had to be chipped out one flake at a time. On mine, I just used the donuts from the regular exhaust and everything fit fine.

For yours, what are your plans? Test fit it first to make sure it works? That cross bar looks like it might mount differently, so its not just plug and play for you.

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The entire Borla exhaust is stainless steel. I polished mine up and it looked pretty nice. Exhaust gaskets / doughnuts are available domestically, somewhere in the cross-reference thread the sources are listed....can't remember them off the top of my head. I think the cross-frame on your system is correct, it will bolt directly to the little brackets that are on top of the muffler "hanger" springs. It looks like there have been some weld repairs, as the original welds were pretty decent as I recall.

15. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    GT Car Parts Phoenix has the gaskets

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Napa has them too iirc

17. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks guys... I have an awesome welder if I ever need it. I'd like to be able to install it myself in case I want to swap back.

18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've swapped out TR exhaust system numerous times by myself - you should be fine if you just work carefully.