car design thread | Page 472 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    As far as manufacturers losing prototypes the one example that still comes to mind to me -- the '53 Cadillac LeMans shipped from Tulsa to Oklahoma City for a dealer display in 1953. Some say it never got there but how could the co-owner of the dealershio be pictured with it in Oklahoma City if it never got there? Plus there was some nefarious activity before it was shipped (the kidnapping murder of the other co-owners son) and the suicide of the co-owner in the picture with the car a year or so after the car disappeared. The car would be worth a million today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, 330 4HL and VigorousZX like this.
  2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Those lifted panels on the back of that, are they an early iteration of active aero (braking / cornering?) or are they compartments for luggage or maintenance access?

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Most definitely. Look at this then thin of the Porsche Panamerica of the same vintage.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Reset the annoying "Maintenance Required" lights on the daily driver today. New tires and wiper blades check 2 of the prescribed boxes for me, and no, my driver floor mat is not loose. YouTube video makes the button pushing a cinch!:)

7. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Braking I imagine as they look to be inspired by jet flaps...

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Tenney, Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  9. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm not sure we have, but that could be effect of the wonderful black and white photography...

Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Back in vegas my next door neighbor had one and I would stop whatever i was doing and go look at it when he took it out. So gorgeous.

jm2 likes this.
  11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I sure did miss posting that in the correct thread yesterday by a million miles! :eek: Sorry, folks!

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    of2worlds and tritone like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Clay Modeling: Why Clay Modeling Remains Relevant in a Technology-Driven Industry

Automotive Design

Automobiles have developed to a point of extreme sophistication. They can drive, park, and find locations on their own in some cases. Heck, humans have even shot a vehicle into space.

Despite the rampant advances in technology, automobiles still have a pretty simple element in their make up. On the design end of things, automobiles are still fleshed out using modeling clay.

Yep, people use clay to design their vehicles while thousands of dollars in computer technology sits looking on. But why?

We’re going to discuss the practice of using clay modeling in auto design, giving you a better appreciation for how things get done in the car world.

Why Use Clay Modeling?
    Cars didn’t always have the same style, aesthetic value, and design as they do now. Sure, there was the wealthy elite who bought the most fashionable cars from day one, but most people who bought a car did so because they needed one.

It was a utilitarian device used for transportation. As things moved forward, starting in the late 1920s, vehicles hit the market with a little more variety. When the industry was strong, consumers had the option to focus on more aesthetic qualities rather than utilitarian ones.

A man named Harley Earl was a vehicle stylist at this time. He pushed the conception of a car from being a useful object toward the idea that it could be a work of art.

A useful, beautiful accessory rather than something to drive your way into town with. Earl noticed that blueprints and drawings of cars were not quite conveying the idea of what a car would be.

At the same time, you had to show ideas without devoting thousands of dollars to building real models of possible cars. His solution was modeling clay.

It allowed him to design a vehicle with extreme specificity. Additionally, people looking to purchase or distribute the vehicle could see and feel it before it was put into production.

But why have we kept this seemingly primitive process instead of working with, say, computer animation?

Artistic Value
    There’s something special about a sculpture. The fact that auto design is pulling from practices that are ancient and historically associated with high art is something important.

Seeing a clay model of a new design is similar to seeing an artist’s studio. You walk in and see the works of art that haven’t been hung at a gallery, and maybe they’re not entirely finished.

There’s something to be said about feeling like you’re involved in the process in this way. Potential customers can see the product and feel as though they’re seeing a little glimpse into the future. Packaged in an artistic rendition of a physical car.

Malleability
    It’s practical to create things with clay as well. Instead of fussing with computer design and machinery to design vehicles out of metal, working with clay allows craftsmen to fine-tune their products with a human touch.

The element of the design should have an element of human intervention in it. While humans are at the helm of great technological machinery, they often don’t get their hands dirty.

Making small grooves in a moment of inspiration, or creating a design out of your own mind and your own hands are all things that play into the final result.

Let’s give an example. Think about walking into a kiosk in the mall and buying a cup of coffee. You press a few buttons, see the machinery find the right cup, pump the right coffee, and present it to you to take.

Drinking that coffee is probably going to be fine, but it won’t be exceptional. Now, think about going to a really fine cafe. You order your usual drink and watch the barista take their time with it, using the equipment in a way that requires skill and craft.

The second cup of coffee, somehow, will probably be more enjoyable. Everyone’s preferences are different, but a little authenticity goes a long way.

Simplicity of Use
    Someone designing a vehicle with clay isn’t going to have any technological hiccups in the process. Sure, there might be some particular methods to use with certain forms of clay or styles of car, but the learning curve is going to be relatively non-existent.

We play with clay from the time we’re babies. It’s intuitive to us and it’s one of the few mediums that allows people to really use their hands and create something of their own.

Even sculpting requires extensive tools, chisels, stone, etc. Clay is so malleable, agreeable, and satisfying to use that it makes sense for individuals to want to use it in their creations.

It clears the barriers between a person’s idea of a car and the actual design that comes out. Don’t get us wrong, there are certainly a lot of tools used in the creation of these designs, but the principle remains the same.

The Process is Very Involved
    The art of clay modeling isn’t as simple as stepping into a studio and whipping up a fancy looking car. There are months of preparation, sketches, planning, and decision making involved before the final product is made.

It’s a difficult thing, and that’s why talented individuals are the ones designing our cars. That human element is involved in each step of the way, though. Instead of designing parts and frames online, people have to make conscious decisions and use artistry as they make the machines.

In a world where almost everything is automated or influenced by sophisticated technology, it should be appreciated that vehicles are crafted. In the old way, by human hands, and with human intuition.

Want to Learn More?
    The history of clay modeling is just one specialized area of car history that will open your eyes. There’s a lot involved in making cars, and a lot has happened to get us to where we are today.

Explore our site for information on parts, businesses, vehicles, and more.

Boomhauer, anunakki and tritone like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I know I've been critical of all the Photoshop renderings i see every day, but this rendition of the old Chrysler Turbine car in bare metal grabbed my attention. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

DESIGN HISTORY | AUDI QUATTRO CONCEPT
    Home/NEWS/DESIGN HISTORY | AUDI QUATTRO CONCEPT
    • AN OLD DREAM AWAKENING – A&D no. 186

Thirty years of Quattro. To celebrate the anniversary of that legend, presented at the Geneva Show in 1980 and renamed “Urquattro” by enthusiasts, Wolfgang Egger, head of Audi design at the time, and his collaborators presented a Quattro Concept at the 2010 Paris Motor Show that takes up and develops the intuitions of the time in a futuristic key, “reawakening – in the words of Egger – an old dream made up of compactness, lightness, turbo and four-wheel drive, without betraying the brand’s ancient sporting DNA”. That concept”, he says, “is still valid, it’s fun for the future”.

How much the Paris concept is “fun” and how much it is destined to make its mark on the future of Audi sports cars remains to be seen. What is certain is that there are no immediate plans for production; if anything, a very small series could be envisaged precisely to “increase the value of the brand”. A thoroughbred with a 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbocharged engine producing no less than 408bhp, this concept is reminiscent of the glorious 1984 Sport Quattro even though its structure is actually derived from the ultra-powerful Audi RS5.

Shorter wheelbase, lower height (4 centimetres), extensive use of aluminium as part of Audi Space Frame technology and carbon (bonnet, tailgate, bumpers, spoiler and other aerodynamic components) to keep weight down (1300 kilos, about 200 less than the TT RS from which it borrows its 5-cylinder engine). It looks like a sports saloon, but in reality it’s a supercar (0-100 in 3.9 seconds) worthy of appearing on any circuit (although the original Quattro was intended for rallying).

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    As interesting as the Chrysler Turbine remains, what I keep thinking about its design is the Thunderbird.

Exner got pushed to fall on the sword. George Walker over at Ford watched as Gene Bordinat get made VP Styling instead of "his boy" Elwood Engle. Walker then uses his connections to set up Engle to be Exner's successor.
    Engle had been part of the development that led to the 1961 Thunderbird and the Lincoln Continental. Image Unavailable, Please Login

To me, I se the Chrysler Turbine as an alternative proposal to the Thunderbird. Likewise I see the Continental becoming the 1964 Chrysler Imperial. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Less kind would be to say that Engle's first moves were to recycle his prior employer's design themes.

Attached Files:

330 4HL, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Got the notice from Art Center today that the school's president is going to be retiring. Wondering if other here share my feeling that the school has strayed far away from what they used to be. Back when, what they were focused on was having graduates that were functional for there employer upon arrival. The meaning of life, saving the world and a whole bunch of other things were for other schools to ponder. Art Center is where one went to become a practicing professional in one's chosen field. That is why the potential employers valued the place.

In my, not so humble, opinion the school needs to return to having someone lead the place that came from enduring the Art Center experience. Only then can there be the true understanding of why inordinate amounts of tuition are spent. Art Center made the students get tough skins to survive the place. That in turn prepared one for the non-theoretical future.

330 4HL, HotShoe and jm2 like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, I got the same notice.
    Stopped giving them money years ago. They came off the rails as far as I was concerned. We’ll see who they choose as a replacement.

330 4HL likes this.
  20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Any of the other graduates you are friends with ever talk about the school's changes over time?

jm2 likes this.
  21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I was at CIA from 89-94 and we all
    Looked up to the ACCD guys at the time. They truly set the bar. Sad to see how far they have fallen.

CCS is the only option now for trans design IMO.

22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Are you busy or...? :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes we all talk often among ourselves. Have yet to hear much positive as to what’s going on.
    GM Design wasn’t particularly happy with the schools product for many years. Don’t know if that’s changed.
    CCS continues to be a credible choice, but even they have been accused of turning out a homogenized product. The companies are looking to alternative universities and schools outside the traditional Trans curriculums. Bill Mitchell did the same thing in the early 1960’s. A lot of the talent from that generation came from non Art Center schools.

anunakki and 330 4HL like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Wayyy too old. They want someone with the ability to be there for the long haul.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You're not that old. You can't be a day over 103. ;)

Seriously though, isn't the president of prestigious school supposed to be someone who stands atop a successful career, decades of experience, and the knowledge of how the industry has changed over time? You don't want someone too young.

All the best,
    Andrew.