Sooo what happened to C&C?? | FerrariChat

Sooo what happened to C&C??

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Dseig001, Mar 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Hey guys,

So Clay sold my dads car on consignment 3 months ago and stiffed him on his money.

I don’t remember ever having an issue with these guys?? I loved their service department, but now I’m afraid he’s going to sell one of my f cars when I drop em off for an oil change.

4retr likes this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There was a similar thread in the general forums a few months back, but I believe the user got his money eventually. I don't understand as the exotic car business seems to be booming with prices and sales both going up on top of PPP loans being handed out...

ShineKen likes this.
  3. 54greg

54greg Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    So Cal
    Beware CNC Motors/ Lotus of Upland

By the time Clay Thom-owner and salesman/front man Scott got to me they had the scheme of taking in my car on consignment and not paying upon sale down to an art.

The operation is very impressive-beautiful cars, extensive showroom and elaborate offices. This is all just a front. I mistakenly gave my frame off restored 1954 Corvette to them to assist in selling. I needed the funds quickly. We agreed on a reduced sales price and they completely ignored our agreement. After complaining they reduced to the agreed upon price and the vehicle sold within a few weeks. That was the beginning of December 2020. Since that time I have been given a check that they immediately stopped payment on. Stating they didn’t have the funds to pay me. I have been asked to come to the dealership twice to pick up payment. Upon arrival they either weren’t there to pay or was told they didn’t have the funds. I have been in contact most days for the last 90 and lied to too many times to count.

I would not give CNC title until I received payment. Thus the new owner has no title but paid for the vehicle. All of Clay’s lies are very short term- he promises payment today, tomorrow morning or within a few days. Clay and Scott are dishonest. They never intended to pay for the car, this has been proven by their actions. I was told by Clay that he was losing his business, CNC, and the building they occupy. So he has to harm his customers on his way down?

I have restored cars for the past 30 years and this is definitely the absolute worst car experience I could imagine.

Col. Kurtz, ShineKen and GatorFL like this.
  4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    ShineKen and 54greg like this.
  5. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Crazy story..not sure if this has been posted or not and have no affiliation to anyone involved in this mess.

thoang likes this.
  6. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just sad.... Always try and use a franchised dealer. It's a safer route.

54greg likes this.
  7. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This happened to me with a trade in there 6 years ago. At the time I was upset that CT didn’t just call me and tell me what was going on. It finally got resolved after I found the car for sale at a different dealership and it hit the fan. I had no idea he was doing this on a regular basis...sad.

fabrica tabacos and FERRARI-TECH like this.
  8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You must not remember when Lamborghini of Orange County fire sold something like 40 cars a decade ago and did not pay off VW credit on their inventory and all the cars got repossessed. All this happened about a decade ago and LOC is under new management now. Even franchised dealers can screw you.

9. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a friend that left his Performante there to be sold there. Apparently they did over a month and a half ago. They never paid him for the car and obviously are not answering any of his calls or emails.

ShineKen and thoang like this.
  10. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow. 6 years ago? That's a hell of a business model. How are these guys still around?

blkdiablo33, ShineKen and 54greg like this.
  11. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    And Clay, the ******* that runs it just loves making my poor dad drive from riverside to upland, promising money, only to not be at the shop, or stop payment on a check.

It’s a real shame, they were my service center, they’ve handled my 430, Cali, and Quattroporte.

Now I’ve got to find a new place to trust.

The SB county law enforcement are useless, Hagerty told my dad to **** off, only the DMV has been helpful, and thats just sad.

May the chickens come home to roost.

54greg likes this.
  12. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

I do remember the Lamborghini OC debacle well. For every 1 new car dealer that goes under, there are many more used car dealers that bite the dust. Most used car dealers are under capitalized and they have no meaningful service operation to keep a positive cash flow during leaner times. I'm a new car dealer and have been in the business 30 years. I've seen this movie play out many times.

blkdiablo33, ShineKen and Gh21631 like this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Saw this video yesterday and was surprised to see the inventory (quality and quantity) at CNC. Figured they would have closed shop 100% by now.

First 5 minutes of this video:

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    What is amazing is that CNC still has their doors open and is still operating and presumably scamming more people. The comments are the police wont handle it as there is an “active” DMV investigation. Yet this has been a public topic for 6 months and the DMV is still “investigating”? We pay tons of tax dollars to keep the DMV in business and they are apparently useless. Just like the EDD that can have billions of dollars ripped off from it (actually TWICE with the two series of stimulus checks). Somebody needs to investigate the DMV on this one. That is the real crime here.

ShineKen, BMW.SauberF1Team and 360Tom like this.
  15. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ballerbusters on Instagram busted them. Big mess. They gathered over 120 victims who have the same story. Dealers like these just need to go away.

FourFiveGreat, ShineKen and 54greg like this.
  16. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    They sell cars every day and have a pretty good Yelp rating.

go figure

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Or just recently at Porsche of Miami (champion) where they had a high placed guy collecting deposits on cars that didn't exist then skipped town with the dough.

18. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Amazing the excuses people come up with After they've committed the fraud. And equally Amazing the believers
    of these excuses. The gullibility is 'amazing'. HaHa. The truth is, it's been out there for some time
    with the REAL in-crowd. In fact, they were given a $448,600 PPP loan last April for 'payroll' (it's public
    taxpayer information) ,, basically the Govt 'helped them' simply continue their misdeeds. :)
    'Covid took me out' is such a lame excuse in this case. Any excuse is a lame excuse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

54greg and Gh21631 like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There is now an “interview” with one of the principals posted where the guy gives a bunch of phony baloney excuses why these victims are valuable customers and his priority is to not only make them right financially but have them forgive and become friends. Load of crap.....

Meanwhile, another guy posted a video that he says shows a drastic decrease in the vehicles in stock......

PKF355, ShineKen and RonH like this.
  20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Yup, here is a translation: “I am really sorry about my past valuable customers that got caught without a chair when the music stopped on my Ponzi scheme. I wish I could get the music running again so that I could get some new valuable customers to enable me to pay the past valuable customers and keep the scheme going.”

Unfortunately a Ponzi scheme is dependent on your reputation and people drinking the Kool-Aid. Seems like the Kool-Aid is significantly diminished and unlikely to be replenished.

ShineKen and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They aren't the only ones, recently I had a similar experience with a dealer in FL. They held almost$500K for 3 weeks with multiple excuses but I did finally get paid albeit $10K less than agreed. All of these guys are hand too mouth. They act like they are ballers but they are so leveraged that one bad mistake ripples hard. They live well as they are using your money until they get the next payment. Be very careful in dealing with these independents. Dont trust a word. They might mean well but they are awful business people.

22. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

Agreed. IF he had a flooring line of $30m, he wouldn't have these issues. That is a big IF. I doubt an independent used car lot can get a flooring line that size. Most of his inventory is on consignment, so there is no cash outlay on his part anyways. It's just poor financial management. The auto retail business has been on fire the last 12 months excluding March and April of 2020. Dealers are making record profits. I'm sure his financial troubles started long before COVID.

ShineKen, 54greg and Gh21631 like this.
  23. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Agreed. His dad died and he doesn’t know how to run a business.

Anybody got a decent service shop in SoCal? I hear the Newport dealer isn’t the best for service

24. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My dealer in Torrance does a great job. Let me know if you need an intro.