458 speciale | FerrariChat

458 speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2006m5, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Iam thinking to buy a 458 speciale...which year is the better year 14/15
    Livery yes or no?
    Thanks

2. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    I owned a 2014 for 5 years, fair amount of track time. Car never missed a beat, period- zero issues. I believe 2015 car is identical. Livery is your choice. I think your biggest issue will be finding one- slim pickings. I regret trading it but am thrilled with my 812 and I added a Pista- miss that mid engine V8.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I almost bought a Speciale, but opted for the 458 Italia instead. Unless you want a track focused car to drive on the street, I personally think the 458 Italia is maybe a more enjoyable car as a daily driver or for a weekend car. If you have a girlfriend and/or wife and want to enjoy going out to dinner, the Italia is just as fun as the Speciale on the street. For the track, that might be a different story.

What's your main use going to be?

Ray

Mikael-F360 and Petrolhead#32 like this.
  4. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    ray no track....street use.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Personally I'd get an Italia.

I mean, if you are 25 or 30 and have never driven a modified/lowered street car and just can't sleep until you have one, then sure a Speciale might be kinda cool.

However, if you have already gone through that phase and appreciate things like heated seats and not having too harsh a ride on the street, then maybe test drive a 458 Italia. Also, the exhaust on the Italia can be turned up or down using the different modes; on the Speciale I believe it's just loud and louder (although I could be wrong). I will say, after putting in quite a few miles on my 458 Italia, I really loved having the ability to silence the exhaust when driving home through my neighborhood late at night, etc. Really great, well balanced car.

Nothing against, the Speciale; they are amazing as well. Just slightly different. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and perhaps speak at length with people here who have owned and driven both. That's what I did when I originally was shopping for a Speciale. I emailed with a number of people who owned both and asked questions. After a few weeks of talking with people that owned both the Italia and the Speciale, it became clear that for a street driven car - where you are going to want to take your wife out to dinner on the weekends or maybe take a drive up the coast, etc. - the Italia is really what you want. It's plenty fast for the street and won't give you a headache.

I think the opposite is probably true also: if you are going to track your car, then the Italia might leave you longing for the slightly firming ride, slightly larger brakes, etc.

Do you have any previous experience with any other Ferraris?

Ray

Mikael-F360 and Petrolhead#32 like this.
  6. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Buy a Speciale and enjoy, I did last August. I regetted selling my new one from 2015. Believe the hype, it is a specal car. The only car type I've repurchased, and intend to keep this one for a very long time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

m_powered, KZEVO, Thecadster and 10 others like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The front of the Speciale is nicer than the Italia, I'll say that!

Ray

tickerhound, 430jm and Petrolhead#32 like this.
  8. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Ray thank you for the info..i .appreciate all your thoughts.

Petrolhead#32 and RayJohns like this.
  9. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    man I thought I liked my 458 spider... then I saw your picture. :(

It’s like his stronger brother!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Foxmod and Mikael-F360 like this.
  10. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    Owned an Italia for 3 years, sold it and bought a Speciale, great car but i missed the 458 Italia 9k rpm rev exhaust sound, I was expecting the Speciale to sound better but I was disappointed and sold it 2 years later, looking to buyback my Italia now.
    Btw, no track use, I drive a Porsche GT3 for that buzz on track...

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What bugged me about my 2 Italias is that, while the sound is there there’s no pull above 8k RPM or so. The Speciales pull harder to the limit.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That sounds a little strange. My 458 Italia pulled hard through all the gears clear to redline and shifted nice and sharp. I don't ever recall feeling HP dip off before redline.

Ray

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I was sort of surprised the first time I heard a Speciale also. It was louder, but the exhaust note of the Italia sounds better.

I definitely regret selling my 458. The 488 was a big disappointment and I sold it as quickly as I could and turned down my F8 allocation. Ferrari has started going down a path with their cars that seems to have lost a lot of what has always made a Ferrari so special to own. I feel like the 458 and the 812 may be the high watermark for some time to come here, if things don't improve.

Anyway, short answer: find yourself a 458 Italia, forget about the side winglets, and don't look back.

Ray

14. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Ray are you driving 458 now?
    I recall you had one.

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm driving my 1990 Toyota pickup right now... contemplating building a 350-400 HP turbo motor for it :)

No Ferraris at the moment. My goal down the road is either an 812 Superfast or ideally an F40 if I can swing it and find one to modify, etc. Right now I'm starting a new business and we want to build a new custom home some place, so the Ferrari is down the list a bit. Also, the 458 is a hard act to follow; I've actually given some thought to just buying another 458 Italia.

Ray

16. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Gotcha good luck on your new business.

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks!

Ray

18. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I’ve had the 438 spider which I thoroughly enjoyed and loved the style of. But the Speciale is as a whole different look and feel all together. I also have the Pista spider and 812 SF... the Speciale is truly a keeper. That’s a drivers car then never stops entertaining you no matter the speed you

Attached Files:

19. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    nice car!

spyderman likes this.
  20. vforvictory

vforvictory Rookie

Apr 3, 2014
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Paul K.
    I just purchased a 458 SA, the ride is harder than the Italia and the 488 GTB, but the car is much more enjoyable on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Giallo_f355gts

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    Thoughts on buying a Speciale with no stripes and badges? Thanks!

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    no stripes and no badges are rare, if that's what you prefer, good luck finding one, and then even more luck finding such a car with all the other details you want

with so few on the market, you might want to consider your top options(or lack thereof) and if you find a match, don't delay, chances are as time passes the new normal will be very few on the market

or because the pricing is getting higher, you might consider an 812, those typically have no stripes and there are more with no badges...

neither are coming back, unassisted V8s are out of production for many years and, at this point, there is no replacement for the 812 and if that continues for another year or so, once the 812GTS is out of production, that will be a very curious time, no V12 in regular production...might never return or might only exist in their SUV/FUV and top-end hyper cars and even then, chances of being hybrid-assist are likely 100%

23. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I would spend some seat time in a Speciale and make sure you're comfortable with the decibels. The exhaust is uncomfortably loud at cruising speeds, and unlike the Italia, it can't be turned off. It also doesn't sound as good as a 2010-11 Italia even under heavy throttle, unless you're at 6,000+ RPM. That's a deal breaker for me, even if it was on par with an Italia, price wise.

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    the Speciale is one of the most amazing NA V8 cars ever built. it sounds awesome, looks beautiful, and has telepathic responses. honestly, if you want one then go buy one now. every second you wait is a second lost.

mar76, italiafan and cgwissing like this.
  25. cgwissing

cgwissing Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    I bought a speciale a few months ago and love it. Most special car I have ever sat in and drove. Don’t understand the concern about the exhaust being loud. I think it’s too quiet. It’s at the shop getting full kline 100 cell cats and exhaust at the moment and can’t wait to hear what it sounds like. My suggestion is buy one ASAP!!!!! Unless you expect to drive around in it on conference calls all day it’s plenty civilized.