Ferrari 365 GTB/4 15285 on BAT | FerrariChat

Ferrari 365 GTB/4 15285 on BAT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Bowzer, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Good morning all
    Are there any comments about this car which is now converted to EU spec and had a colour change from Silver to Red in Japan ?
    Thank you

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Use the fchat search function and type in 15285 and you will get plenty of information.

Marcel Massini

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Sir :)

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Will not meet reserve IMO.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    .....and reserve would be ?????

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It might.

I don't think the Seller would have it on BaT unless they would be satisfied with the sort of prices that some past Daytonas have managed there, and the car certainly is not a Platinum example, or anything like that...

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with it, but if history is an indicator, it seems many brokers/dealers often consign various cars to auctions with little or no expectations of an actual sale at given venue, but rather to expose some of their inventory holdings to wider audiences/publicity.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #8 Terra, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Disagree. Because most successful auction houses pride themselves on achieving the highest sell-thru rates as possible, they tend to be highly discerning about consigning cars, and typically insist on only accepting consignments which have “sellable” (i.e. market-correct) reserves. Otherwise, it’s just a waste of valuable (and finite) consignment slots.

Prancing 12, 375+, Daytonafan and 2 others like this.
  9. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    True. That's often why most of the reputable auctions will only accept large lots, such as full collections, if the cars are sold without reserve. There's no point in taking up 5, or 10, or 20 slots if there isn't a high chance - or guarantee - they'll sell.

Sellers themselves should be even more concerned when choosing their selling strategy - venue, pricing, etc. For one, if there is no genuine (i.e. market-correct) intent to sell the car, they're better off waiting until the market and their price expectations are correctly aligned. More importantly, choosing the right venue is far more important than simply getting the biggest audience. Getting the most eyeballs seems like a great idea, until a seller picks the wrong venue... then all you have is more people watching your car not sell, i.e. something like, say, a BMW 507 on BaT. :rolleyes: Online, there's no hiding from a no-sale result, which will follow a car / s/n / VIN around for the rest of its history.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ^^ Sounds wonderful. Thank you for setting the records straight for me.

I can finally put aside all my misguided (peanut gallery) beliefs and suspicions gathered over past few decades observing that side of the used car sales business/industry(?) and also assume they don’t “typically” resort to chandeliers/shills/etc or any other somewhat questionable marketing/sales tactics they’ve been often suspected of, even by many besides me.

OTOH, if “the highest sell-thru rates as possible” is or was truly the objective, wouldn’t the houses or the entire “industry” insist on not accepting/allowing “reserves” ...
    ... even if they came from high volume affiliates/associates/consignors ?

Besides, if that “507 on BaT” was truly intended to be sold at chosen (right or wrong) venue and had no reserve to prove the point, it would sell and presumably at its actual “market value”, right ?

I wonder if livestock, etc auctions include reserves to allow gauging of market potentials or opt-out for higher results at next venue ?

11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home

I sense some sarcasm...

I don't want to dismiss your experience, but the market is significantly different today than it was even a couple of years ago, never mind your previous "decades" of observations.

The internet has changed everything - there are no secrets anymore. Yes, there are more eyeballs, but that can equally mean more witnesses to a failed sale and with sites like Hammerprice, an eternal reference to the same.

Again, your experience may very, but in my opinion, the two worst things to happen to the marketability of a car at this level is either over-exposure, or a no-sale (which is kind of the same thing).