Door Jam Switch Rubber Grommet | FerrariChat

Door Jam Switch Rubber Grommet

Discussion in '360/430' started by colandreo, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Hi Everyone:

I am detailing my 360 for a car show tomorrow and I ran into a problem. When cleaning the door jams, the rubber grommet around the dome light switch popped off. I tried pressing it back on but it is not working. It appears that the rubber grommet is put on the switch before the switch is pressed into the hole in the door jam.

So my question is this. Do I need to remove the switch from the door jam to put the rubber grommet back onto the switch? If so, any idea how to remove the switch? The are three notches in the switch flange around the perimeter of the switch but I cannot see how that can help me. And if I do not need to remove the switch, how do I get the rubber grommet back on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

2. 1idman

1idman Rookie

Jan 9, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    N.G
    When I purchased my car (second hand) the rubber was missing. I picked up a complete switch and at first tried to remove the old switch and replace, but that didn't work. I ended up taking the rubber off the new switch and putting a bit of spit on it to stretch over the old switch, it took less then 30 seconds and I was done...... sounds kinda naughty but it worked.

3. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Brian,
    Rather than spit, use a 50/50 mix of water and liquid dishwater soap. this will make the rubber slippery to fit onto the switch

4. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Thanks guys...the "kinda naughty" made my day. I tried for about an hour to remove the switch and I can't do it. And I suspect if I break one...they are about $5,000 each. I will try to lube them up and stretch them on. Thanks again!

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    WD40 is my best friend when it comes to rubber pieces. It slip in sooo easily. :)

6. Joe Sommer

Joe Sommer Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Did you ever get the rubber over your door switches? I have the same issue (on both sides). There does not seem to be any gap between the notched flange and door jam to stretch the rubber cover over the flange, even with spit or WD-40.

7. Joe Sommer

Joe Sommer Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Watch "Ferrari 360 door switch boot reinstall" on YouTube