"Drive to Survive" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Drive to Survive"

Discussion in 'F1' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    It's episode 3

Bas likes this.
  2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Just watched the Ferrari-Monza, **** me that was depressing.
    I should have wiped that race from my memory banks.
    Sebastian looked broken, Charles looked very down.
    Binotto says nothing of any interest.
    The footage of Monza 2019 just reminded me how low we have fallen.

Bas likes this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think She was probably not as committed as she needed to be. a different world than what Frank was doing. The whole thing with Paddy Lowe and the car being late was embarrassing, I'm sure the discussion was had off camera - and Clarie was just trying to fill the air for TV... that is why she looked so bad. Its a sad end to a really strong name in F-1 but its happened over and over again. almost all the teams have gone out in a whimper vs. a bang.
    Cooper, BRM, Shadow, Arrows, Ensign, Lotus, Tyrrell etc... they have either sold up or just stopped.

I think if I was running F-1 I'd create Franchises with the historic names. that a new team would have to buy. so that if you came into F1 you would be
    Cooper F1 by BMW or Arrows F1 by Audi etc... Even names like Auto Union F1 could be TM'd and used as a franchise name so that the teams would have to use that name.... that way you control the history of the sport, and make the connection to its past and future. Racing Point? Force India? what kind of names are those? most of them put a sponsors name infront anyway.

to me I'd have the following available:
    Vanwall F-1
    Auto Union F-1
    Bugatti F1
    Matra F-1
    Cooper F-1
    BRM F-1
    Maserati F-1
    Tecno F-1
    Minardi - F-1
    Lotus F-1
    Arrows F-1
    Shadow F-1
    Brabham F-1
    Tyrrell F-1
    Williams F-1
    etc... when an existing team leaves like Renault - then they would be added to the list as Renault F-1 or you could exempt current teams in lieu of a $100M bond if they leave.

it prevents other series or companies from using F-1 history but also keeps those names like Williams F-1 around. eventually, the new owners will want to name change and it will be another name lost in F1 for good.

I then would also sell 20 year license to companies like Lotus for the name... and charge a lot for it... or then others can use it.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I think Drive To Survive is a really well done series. Where lots of people get mixed up is thinking that it is a news piece. It is not.

Drive to Survive is a dramatic series that uses real events to tell a particular story. They choose what stories they feel like telling and base all of the footage around that narrative. A perfect example of this is Season 3 where on 3 separate occasions they use footage from the Monza race. In each case it gives a massively different perspective of the event. In one episode it totally ignores PG's win because it does not factor in the story they are telling about Ferrari. When you look at it from that perspective the series makes much more sense and you get a better understanding that it is not geared just to the race fan but to humanize the sport by telling the tales of some of the characters involved.

Of course there are a ton of stories that are missed and it is up to debate as to whether one is more important than the other. That said the stories they do tell are well done and compelling to follow.

Kprso, Zanny1, Picchu88 and 1 other person like this.
  5. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I've a book of 'Grand Prix' and F1 teams from 1906 to year 2000; there are ~275. I'm not gonna think too hard about it, as I don't think your idea will work. :)

6. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I like it, and I agree with Paul Chua, my wife likes it which helps.

It could have been longer as many have said, they left out tons on the Williams sale, George Russell, etc. But, for what it is, its pretty good.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This is the moment Claire was absolutely finished and showed how inept she was.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    “Hi Paul, XXX or Paddy may have already mentioned, but as an engineer you need to be wearing shirt and trousers, not shorts and t-shirt. Especially if you’re sat on the pit wall. Thanks”

The team she inherited, which finished 3rd as she inherited it, was failing badly and at the time when this happened, they where dead last in the championship. This is the **** she concerned herself with.

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    One thing is very clear from Season 3...

Wingman Bottas does not have the winner mindset and will continue to play the wingman role.

jpalmito likes this.
  9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The last 3 mins of the show is like the last season of Game of Thrones.

I liked Gasly winning at Monza episode and Grojean accident episode /spoilers

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    At least they didn't show Horner naked.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm not so certain about the mindset. I am certain that the team will force him to 2nd driver by any means necessary. He should be somewhere else as a number 1, but nobody is competitive with Mercedes.

12. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    While I don't have a particularly positive impression of the management at Williams in its final seasons, I'm going to disagree and suggest this particular instance isn't necessarily emblematic of very much (i.e misplaced priorities.)

Can you image a deviation from team attire protocol going unnoticed or treated casually by the likes of Brabham era Ecclestone or in particular the detail-oriented Ron Dennis. Whether they we having a Championship season or a lean spell, they would have been all over it, and I doubt the correction would have come via a politely worded email. :)

Isobel likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The point is that of all things she should be concentrating on, she choose the attire of 1 man was the best use of her time...

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If I was sure that XXX or Paddy had addressed the attire issue, I would have left It at that and focused on bigger issues like why my teams cars were the worst in F1 for 3 straight years.

Bas likes this.
  15. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    i had given up on F1, so nothing for so long,, but reading these comments, i might watch the Netflix series, but it was BS the last time.. i;ll see how it goes..
    Bernie is probably smarter than everyone, sold out at the top,,,,

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They need to do something with that crappy title first of all

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm on the Haas/Steiner episode...man I wish they would film Steiner 24/7. That guy ****ing funny :p:p:p

vinny84, E60 M5 and Isobel like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My young adult children have somehow gotten into F1 (they dont care about racing/cars in general) on their own, so now we’ve watched all the Drive to Survive series, finishing the most current yesterday. Fantastic, and what a primer for this weekends start!
    Agree with Claire comments, in way over her head.
    Haas comes off as a total clown show.
    The insecurity of the drivers is ever present, which is fascinating.
    Here’s hoping Merc is less competitive this year.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Really Bas ?

I can't stand that idiot, no clue on how to treat people or who to hire

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    He’s either a clown or a comedian, either way, not a good look.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed.

Trying to keep the drivers' spirits up by having the pit wall tell them they're as fast as the pack out front when they're being held up. Badmouthing the drivers to Gene Haas in the patio area while they're walking past on the edge of shot. If I was one of the drivers, I'd find it very difficult to trust anything he said - he comes across to me as manipulative and duplicitous.

At least team bosses like Christian Horner come across as more transparent and open with the drivers. He's got tough targets for them and there's a lot of pressure, but he strikes me as a professional who is fairly straight about what he says and does. His old calendar shoot was horrific though!

All the best,
    Andrew.

Phil~ likes this.
  22. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I like Toto the most of all as an actual team leader. Steiner is entertaining. Stroll Sr is essentially a 1940s era mob boss.

Since I already knew the storyline, I didn’t expect much. But what was absolutely fascinating to me was the portrayal of the time shown before Covid shut down Melbourne. It was surreal. I would like to see an entire documentary on that alone.

Zenit99, Terra, dustman and 1 other person like this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    completely agreed. His success elsewhere in life solidifies his skill as a shrewd leader.

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It’s easier to appear refined when working without dire financial restrictions, have three or four assistants for grunt work and an employer who understands the pre-requisites and demands for continued success.

Steiner is working without any of those accoutrements. He’s the equivalent of a sergeant working from a bunker under attack while his superior is calling in orders from headquarters to move forward. He’s adroit and foul mouthed because that’s all he’s got.

If you want an underdog, that’s exactly what they look like.

vinny84, AtOne, Bas and 2 others like this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's got Gene constantly in his ear telling him he's pulling the plug unless money is found..at the same time results have to improve yet not getting the money to develop the car.

It did work though, Grosjean scored points, lol

Agreed on that. Don't quite understand the hate for Horner here.

+1