Leaking Hastings Fuel Filters | FerrariChat

Leaking Hastings Fuel Filters

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatauto, Mar 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    Wanted to take a moment to share a bad experience with Hastings Fuel Filters. These filters were purchased off eBay for about $30.00 each. The listing is as such: For 1997-2002 Ferrari 550 Maranello Fuel Filter Hastings 29648PF. I ordered two of these as I was in a rush and thought I could get them quicker then stock Bosch filters that cost about double. In the end I would end up having the car OOS for about twice as long as it should have taken. For those that don't know the filters are prone to clogging as the rubber surrounds that support the fuel pump dissolve and the resulting goo ends up in the filters. The two filters are located in front of the rear wheels. Here is a pic of the car jacked up from the front lifting point. The back half of the belly pan can be loosened and pulled down to gain access. Easier from a lift but totally manageable from a jack. The filter is shown just behind where the front hardline turns up in the pic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The filters are held in place by the clamp type strap and have a banjo bolt on the inlet side and a straight fitting on the outlet.

Now, in case you haven't noticed by now, neither the inlet or outlet connections are wet but take a look at the seam of the filter.

I installed two of these and thankfully before buttoning the belly pan back up I test started the car. One of the filters immediately started dripping from the seam, about 1 drip per second. I check the inlet and outlet connections and both are dry. Assuming it was one bad filter I ordered one more with the intention of returning the bad one. The replacement filter comes, I install it and.... it leaks. Same spot. Now I really exam the original number two filter and it is also leaking, though much slower. I rip both Hastings filters out, order a proper set of OEMs like I should have, installed them and not a drop to be seen. Don't know if I got three bad ones that all came from the same failed manufacturing lot or what but it was bad. Hope this helps save someone some time.

Adam

brogenville and ColGraves like this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well that's enough to piss off the Pope. Thanks for letting the rest of us know. Condolences!!

ColGraves likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Did you get any feedback from the manufacturer?

If the same batch has been used elsewhere, this fault could have catastrophic consequences. Just imagine if these fuel filters were used in the engine bay sitting over the exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    as with a 355 you mean? brrrr.....same filter.....

5. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina

Only reached out to the seller. They had nothing to say. Took the filters back, refunded the money and that was it.