Buying used Stainless Steel exhaust headers | FerrariChat

Buying used Stainless Steel exhaust headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Is it worth buying used headers if I can get them for 1/2 the original price? Would still need to new buy gaskets and new nuts/studs, headers blankets and mini cats.

Or is it just not worth the hassle of used headers? Do they slightly deform from use so they really shouldn’t be reused on a different motor? What should I look out for on a set of used headers? Worn flanges?

Not trying to cheap out here but it is in my estimate 5k vs about 3k when all is said and done plus installation, so 2k saved could be better spent on other things.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nothing wrong with used ones as they will be quality 306 or 309 stainless. They will have colored from the heat but that is be expected. Best to fit new nuts and studs as very cheap anyway, plus new gaskets. Blankets depend on the make and mini cats not always needed. You are buying something that will outlast the car.

3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    If the flanges are still flat you're good to go

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Never bought a brand new exhaust, and I’ve had one on just about every sports car I’ve ever owned.

Used is the way to go.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There used to be a auto scrap yard in Worcester, Mass. It was Linder's Auto.

A sign over the parts counter stated: "We All Drive On Used parts"!

How true that is

6. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Way back in the day I ended up selling my Pontiac Borla exhaust for more money than I bought it new. Maybe price of SS steel rose a lot during that time.