How do I remove this fan? | FerrariChat

How do I remove this fan?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ak Jim, Mar 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Trying to clean up the fresh air fans on my 365 GT4 2+2. Got the fan off and mostly dissembled but not sure how to remove the fan cage from the motor shaft with out breaking it. Another option would be to send the fan to a shop to have the work done but I have no idea who to send it to. There are no local shops that I’d trust to do the work. Any recommendations on who I could send them to? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You do not need to remove the fan from the rotor unless you absolutely need to remove the motor endbell which is not necessary unless the oilite bearing has to be changed.

You can disassemble the whole unit (even the motor case) from the back.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #3 raemin, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    To make myself more clear: you may try to remove the "spring shaped" retainer and then pull the squirel cage, unfortunately, the plastic "fingers" that are held by the spring retainer will probably not survive as they are stuck on the rusty motor shaft.

By contrast, if you open the motor (remove the two nuts on the back of the motor can), you can disassemble the motor tabs and remove squirrel cage (together with the rotor and endbell). See the photo I made back then: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-365-gt4-2-2-400-412-today.488990/page-7

Step by step disassembly :

[​IMG]

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    This fan arrangement is similiar to a bathroom vent fan - plastic fan on a metal shaft. First clean the exposed mrtal shaft with a Dremel tool wire brush or sandpaper. Remove the metal clamp on the plastic fan - this might be difficult, but don't damage the plastic. Next, put oil on the shaft and a little extra where it meets the plastic. Next, use a thin metal bar as lever between the underside of the fan and the motor housing. Stay as close to shaft as possible. Work your way around the shaft in several different locations applying upward pressure on the plastic fan. Take your time; don't break the plastic fan. Eventually the fan will move upward so you can completely remove the fan from the shaft. This will make servicing the motor much easier.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Unfortunately this is not as easy as it seems on these fans. Look at Ak Jim fist picture: the squirell cage has a conical base. The motor goes into this recess so you cannot slide any tool between the motor and the squirrel cage. Pulling the squirrel cage requires (brute) force.

I did both fans on my car: the first one with a complete tear-down, the second one as pictured above. Complete tear-down did more harm than good.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the info. So if I can’t get the fan off how do I get lubrication to the bearing closest to the fan? Other than lubricating that bearing I don’t have to completely dissemble it except to throughly clean everything. Also just curios did you have to split the case apart while it was still on the car? I had to because when I turned the nuts the screws also turned. These really aren’t the easiest cars to work on.

7. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I will defer to others who have worked on these fans. The 2nd photo in this thread seems to indicate there is some space between the plastic cage and the motor housing to insert a lever. I don't know the shape of the rear of the cage, so it might not be possible to get a lever all the way to the motor shaft. My reply was general, not specific to this exact fan.

Ak Jim likes this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Be very careful applying too much force to the shaft, as it can crack the housing. I recently cleaned a fan on my Toyota which was a very similar design and I accidentally cracked the back side of the housing where the shaft is on the other side. Best method is to setup a puller which holds the fan across the bottom and slowly pushes on the shaft (there is probably also a retaining tab which has to be lifted up a bit along the shaft also).

Ray

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #9 raemin, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    That's not a bearing but a bronze bushing. I've soaked the whole unit in gasoil in order to clean it, then placed the squirrel cage on a flat surface (with the rotor pointing up), and poured a generous amount of oil. The conical shape of the squirell cage is like a cup that can retain a few CC of oil. Grossly speaking the bushing sits within the cone that is full of oil. Let the bushing soak for a while. Rotate the rotor from time to time; remove the excess oil and your are done.

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I removed the fan together with the lower part of the wheel arch. This body panel is just bolted so quite easy to remove. On top of it is exposed to rocks and debris : a fresh coat of paint does not hurt.

Fan together with the panel :

[​IMG]

Panel :

[​IMG]

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wow. Thx for the info, never thought about removing the panel. I’ll have to look into that.

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thx again for the pictures. One last question. How did you get the end cap off of the motor? I removed the two nuts but can't get the end piece to move. I just don't want to break anything.

13. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The motor halves are held together by rust, separation does require some persuasion. As a last resort you could even knock it with a hammer (unlike the Lucas fans, the end-bell is not alloy so it can sustain some abuse).

Ak Jim likes this.